A dry drained Splash Mountain

Gorjus

FYI, The photos of how the ride looks without water is how the ride looks every morning at dawn. The water is shut off at night. About an hour before park open, maybe less, maybe more, there is a big announcement repeated over and over again: Animation is about to begin, clear the area...or something like that. Then the water starts down the drop.

How do I know? A cast event held once a year, for about a week or two in the very early hours before the park opens. It is called Canoe Races of the World, or C.R.O.W. Two years in a row, for about 4-5 days, I would try to time it so I could see the water begin its descent. Each year, I only made it to the start of the flow of water one day. All the ot her days, I could see the drop dry and then when I had a chance to look again, the water had begun to flow.

It is a cool sight.

disneydata

That waterfall, along with a few other outdoor elements, are are controlled separately from the ride water system. They are turned off because they are not needed until there are guests around (no waterfall would destroy the show).

fosse76

That waterfall, along with a few other outdoor elements, are are controlled separately from the ride water system. They are turned off because they are not needed until there are guests around (no waterfall would destroy the show).

True. Even at parks where the water rides aren't themed, the water in the drop chute is referred to as the "show" falls. Water rides with a drop do not need water on the drop since all the vehicles run on wheels (though I'm not sure if that applies to the raft rides...drops on those are relatively new). But more to the point, it is actually needed to soften the water at the base of the drop in order to soften the landing. When I worked a chute-the-chutes ride at Six Flags, maintenance once tried to soak me in controls by leaving the show falls off during a test run. The empty boat hit the water so hard that the splash hit the loading platform...normally it wouldn't come anywhere near it. So while the ride doesn't NEED the water to operate, it is needed to prevent damage to the boats and to prevent any injury to the riders.

disneydata

True. Even at parks where the water rides aren't themed, the water in the drop chute is referred to as the "show" falls. Water rides with a drop do not need water on the drop since all the vehicles run on wheels (though I'm not sure if that applies to the raft rides...drops on those are relatively new). But more to the point, it is actually needed to soften the water at the base of the drop in order to soften the landing. When I worked a chute-the-chutes ride at Six Flags, maintenance once tried to soak me in controls by leaving the show falls off during a test run. The empty boat hit the water so hard that the splash hit the loading platform...normally it wouldn't come anywhere near it. So while the ride doesn't NEED the water to operate, it is needed to prevent damage to the boats and to prevent any injury to the riders.
With Splash Mountain, the log doesn't hit the water immediately. The log doesn't really level out, it slightly slopes downward after the drop and you go a fair distance before hitting water. The logs are not totally stopped by the water either; there is a brake system built in to slow it down further (which can totally stop the log in an emergency). The ride can be operated without the waterfall with no damage to the logs or ride itself.

Rob562

With Splash Mountain, the log doesn't hit the water immediately. The log doesn't really level out, it slightly slopes downward after the drop and you go a fair distance before hitting water. The logs are not totally stopped by the water either; there is a brake system built in to slow it down further (which can totally stop the log in an emergency). The ride can be operated without the waterfall with no damage to the logs or ride itself.

Also, the waterfall doesn't feed the water at the bottom of the drop. It's just a very small part. The water in the trough at the bottom comes from behind the hill, flowing around the track and into the trough. That's what the logs float on after they leave the drop zone to float around the turn by the Rivers, and back into the show building.
The "show" waterfall would have to have a HUGE amount of water falling over it in order to feed all the water that the trough requires to float the logs.

-Rob

fosse76

I actually meant to mention the track...since as far as I know Disney is the only company with water rides that has their boats connect to a track embedded in the trough during drops...I assume they do it to reduce the size of the splash.

Rob562 said:
Also, the waterfall doesn't feed the water at the bottom of the drop. It's just a very small part. The water in the trough at the bottom comes from behind the hill, flowing around the track and into the trough. That's what the logs float on after they leave the drop zone to float around the turn by the Rivers, and back into the show building.
The "show" waterfall would have to have a HUGE amount of water falling over it in order to feed all the water that the trough requires to float the logs.

That's true of all water rides. The boats land in what is called the "splash pond", most of which are larger than what you see at the Disney parks. No water ride with a drop NEEDS the show falls (water in the drop) to operate...as I said above, the non-Disney parks use it to soften the water at the base, since generally they design the rides to give as large a splash as possible. Disney seems to use a track merely to reduce the size of the splash...which is fine. You can still get wet on Splash Mountain. I remember one time someone complained to me at the water ride I was operating that you got "too wet." I tried to explain to her that the purpose of the ride was to soak the riders and she kept disagreeing. All the ride did was take you up 55 feet, turn 180 degrees, and drop you fifty feet into the splash pond...no effects, nothing! There is no way it wasn't designed to soak you...the exit bridge went over the splash zone!

disneydata

Can anyone give details into what all happened this refurb?
Most of it was under water stuff - belt, motor, roller replacement, plus intrusion system and a lot of painting and horticulture work. Most of the stuff you won't notice except the painting and plants. On the bright side, the welcome home banner is back after a lone hiatus!

the-reason14

So what do they do every year when it closes? Just paint, and try to fix some of the AA's. I noticed sometimes they will take a few minor AA's out for a few days and then they'll be back a couple of days later. So whats the main reason for closing it each year in Jan.?

Rob562

So what do they do every year when it closes? Just paint, and try to fix some of the AA's. I noticed sometimes they will take a few minor AA's out for a few days and then they'll be back a couple of days later. So whats the main reason for closing it each year in Jan.?

It's mostly because it's a water ride. The wet environment wreaks havoc with the animatronics and other effects. And there are a lot more underwater moving parts and machinery in Splash than in the other Disney water rides, which need routine replacement.

-Rob

disneydata

It's mostly because it's a water ride. The wet environment wreaks havoc with the animatronics and other effects. And there are a lot more underwater moving parts and machinery in Splash than in the other Disney water rides, which need routine replacement.

-Rob
Yep. You can only get so much done at night, especially when MK sometimes closes at 2AM and opening starts at 7AM.

One of the next few refurbs (either next year or the year after) will be longer and more invloved than those in the past. The estimates have been anywhere from 6 weeks to 4 months since it will be getting logs with lapbars and the track needs to be adjusted.

Uncle Lupe

I haven't been to WDW in 15 years and from what I read Splash Mountain has a smell and the Monorails have a bad smell. Sounds like a magical experience. :hurl: Maybe Disney should sell Febreez and deodorant @ the TTC and the exit of Splash. They could just mist you while your traveling up the final drop

AndrewRnR

I actually meant to mention the track...since as far as I know Disney is the only company with water rides that has their boats connect to a track embedded in the trough during drops...I assume they do it to reduce the size of the splash.

Actually it is quite the opposite most water rides are that way. (The flume with the DL version wasn't even done by Disney it was done by the same people who do most flume rides - Hopkins).

fosse76

Actually it is quite the opposite most water rides are that way. (The flume with the DL version wasn't even done by Disney it was done by the same people who do most flume rides - Hopkins).

Not true. As far as I know, Disney is the only park that had their water rides designed with a track on the drops. I know none of the 4 water rides I operated had tracks.

AndrewRnR

Not true. As far as I know, Disney is the only park that had their water rides designed with a track on the drops. I know none of the 4 water rides I operated had tracks.

Lets see all the other rides in Orlando do. Here is a short list...
- Jurassic Park (both versions)
- Dudley Do Right
- Journey to Atlantis (all three versions)
- Perilous Plunge
- Pilgrims Plunge
- Country Fair Falls
- Tidal Wave

And considering Disney didn't "design" the flume part of Splash but rather Hopkins did - all their rides use similar (near exact) same systems . Heck if you don't believe me compare the photos: http://www.shularinn-pigeonforge.com/gallery/images/dollywood_log_ride_jpg.jpg & http://www.gettheloop.com/loopjuly3/crealylogflume.gif & http://www.lifthill.com/images/wdw-splash-mountain-400-1.jpg

fosse76

Lets see all the other rides in Orlando do. Here is a short list...
- Jurassic Park (both versions)
- Dudley Do Right
- Journey to Atlantis (all three versions)
- Perilous Plunge
- Pilgrims Plunge
- Country Fair Falls
- Tidal Wave

And considering Disney didn't "design" the flume part of Splash but rather Hopkins did - all their rides use similar (near exact) same systems . Heck if you don't believe me compare the photos: http://www.shularinn-pigeonforge.com/gallery/images/dollywood_log_ride_jpg.jpg & http://www.gettheloop.com/loopjuly3/crealylogflume.gif & http://www.lifthill.com/images/wdw-splash-mountain-400-1.jpg

I amend my statement to except the newer models. ALL of those are rather new systems...the tracks in Splash were added at the request of Disney (I believe they hold the patent for it). MOST of the flume systems in the country are rather old and do not contain tracks. And I'm aware that Disney didn't design the flume...much like they didn't design the coaster part of Rock 'n' Rollercoaster. You've pointed to a handful out of 54 currently operating flumes in the U.S. The track system is hardly the norm.

EDIT
*I think the one at Mall of America runs on a track as well...at least that what it looks like. The track systems is designed to control the size of the splash...most older models obviously didn't have that design.

**Disney owns the patent for guided drops on the flume...whether or not that design is in use for those other rides is unclear to me.

ridetech939

I amend my statement to except the newer models. ALL of those are rather new systems...the tracks in Splash were added at the request of Disney (I believe they hold the patent for it). MOST of the flume systems in the country are rather old and do not contain tracks. And I'm aware that Disney didn't design the flume...much like they didn't design the coaster part of Rock 'n' Rollercoaster. You've pointed to a handful out of 54 currently operating flumes in the U.S. The track system is hardly the norm.

EDIT
*I think the one at Mall of America runs on a track as well...at least that what it looks like. The track systems is designed to control the size of the splash...most older models obviously didn't have that design.

**Disney owns the patent for guided drops on the flume...whether or not that design is in use for those other rides is unclear to me.

Actually the guided rail runout (the section of trough immedently after the drop where the splash occers) was invented by Arrow Development for the El Aserradero (Log Ride) at Six Flags Over Texas in 1963. I believe that the guild rail is the norm for all log rides except the hyro flume style where the boat planes over the water in the runout. An example of this would be the Yankee Clipper at California's Great America

This doesn't mean that Disney doesn't own a few flume ride patents. I beleve that Disney did pioneer the use of dynamic eddy current braking (AKA mag brakes) along the runout to stop a boat more quickly in the event of an estop.

KaliSplash

I expect that's the one in question. It was down when we were there before Christmas. I asked a cast member and she said, "you mean the million dollar bunny?" That particular one has a hard time staying in action.

The Christmas trip was our first since 2005 and I was disappointed that the jumping fish nearby is no more. I loved the two jumping fish, now there's just one :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom