A Diminishing Gradience of the Illusion ( Orlando's Development Near Walt Disney World Borders)

Thoughts on surrounding developments near Walt Disney World borders

• The Residential Development Is Warrented, Does Not Propose Problems

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • The Property Should Be Aquired By Reedy Creek Improvement District (Preservation/Agriculture)

Votes: 42 68.9%

• Total voters

Big C 73

Original Poster
Walt Disney World, in a mere theoretical proposition has recently been confronted with an issue of intrusive development in Orlando's suburban areas. What Disney World property (original measure of 43 square miles) has the singular benefactor of isolation, a mere evolution from the real world to that of the jurisdictions of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista. Within the property, intrusion of sight from outside properties has been null, once more until recently. Suburban developments near the property borders of the Reedy Creek Improvement District (RCID) are in steadfast growth, not only diminishing perceptions, but also agricultural lands.
I find this somewhat disturbing, as it may not propose a major issue at ground level, yet in higher elevations (The Contemporary Resort Hotel), this proposes the whole diminishment of a natural landscape and elequently crafted design. Light sources at night may also propose a problem.
The principle purpose of this thread is to administer a proposal, that if in theory such housing developments could be stopped (returned to natural environment / agricultural usage) and acquired by RCID, do you think such would be warranted? RCID could utilize previous agricultural lands (Western Property, now Flamingo Crossings) for distric necessities and resort utilization. RCID could therefore utilize the Northern property (Reams Road) for "rented" land usage by local farming operations. Personally this is not a mere destruction of illusion and perspective harnested by establishing persons, but a degration of land and poor strategic in urban planning. Your thoughts on this matter, critical if warranted, are all appreciated.

NORTHERN BAY LAKE

image.jpg

NORTHWEST PROPERTY BOUNDRY
image.jpg

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Big C 73

Original Poster
Assuming they wanted to, or even could do this, how far out would they have to preserver to address your concerns?

For the Northern end of the property, possibly extended near where Landslide Village Lane currently is, running parallel to Ficquette Road, the Northwestern boundry hugging Lake Hancock Road. The Western border remains primarily the same, somewhere between 545 and 429. Their is of course other smaller preferences around the property, not worth accounting for.

Big C 73

Original Poster
[QUOT="GrumpyFan, post: 6679089, member: 48575"]I thought the main goal (at least stated) of that was offset some of their own land use inside WDW property.[/QUOTE]
That is correct, yet it also adds to the Disney Wilderness Preserve, along with saving the land from planned residential development.

I was looking at some investment properties down in four corners (really the closest anyone is ever going to get to the parks besides those condos up on Reams) and they don't really feel near WDW at all. In fact I was pretty annoyed at how long it took just to get to Animal Kingdom from there! I don't really see it as a problem. Disney made it quite clear with Celebration that they don't mind a little encroachment. It's not like ANaheim or Paris where the local government is going to bow to the whims of the new residents- especially since Disney IS the local government. ;)

Shaman

It's Florida, if there's land to be developed....but yeah, WDW is safe from becoming DLR in this respect. Now, the added traffic brought upon development may be a pain. But again, this is Florida.

drnilescrane

How about a third option of "I don't like it, but it's the nature of things".

RCID isn't going to buy these back. In fact, it wasn't too long ago that some of the surrounding land was actually sold off.

(How is this news/rumor?)

The only land that has been sold off that was originally part of Walt's 42 Square miles is the plot of land that is currently the Windermere Cay apartments, the land that Crossroads is on (on the wrong side of 535 and too small to develop as part of WDW), the land that Little Lake Bryan is on (wrong side of I4 and just as narrow as Crossroads), very small plots surrounding Vista Way, fringes on 192 near DAK that are too close to other development to be used for theme park use and Celebration (wrong side I4 and 192). The land that is Flamingo Crossings was actually purchased and added to the district as part of Disney's involvement in the development of 429. Any major Disney expansion would be westward as that is the only direction in which there isn't a major public road boxing them in (as a private toll road 429 can be kept clean and Disney's western way already crosses it providing access).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
^ Golden Oak?

I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner. The NE corner, and specifically land north of Bay Lake, was always a bit less protected. The lake itself seemed to be the main buffer with a slim tree line on the shore to back it up, with not much chance of development on the NE shore without major infrastructure investment. The "city of Bay Lake" at Bay Court is right on the border. As is the other "city" at Royal Oak Court - look closer and Saratoga Springs is a few hundered yards from objects outside of the border.

Last edited:

GrumpyFan

I have to wonder what the future will hold for the Flamingo Crossing area. Might we see Disney invest in some town home-like properties similar to some of those that have cropped up in the surrounding areas? Perhaps make them lower-end DVC properties that would be technically on-property, but out there a little bit and with not as many amenities.

Nick Pappagiorgio

I have to wonder what the future will hold for the Flamingo Crossing area. Might we see Disney invest in some town home-like properties similar to some of those that have cropped up in the surrounding areas? Perhaps make them lower-end DVC properties that would be technically on-property, but out there a little bit and with not as many amenities.
Seems like they would have to carve up the moderates (and other deluxe locales) before they went that direction.

EDIT: Included wrong quotes

Slipknot

Having lived in the area since 2008, you've got nothing to worry about. Light pollution: if anything, the surrounding area has to worry about the lights from the TTC parking lot and to a lesser degree, the Magic Kingdom Cast/DU parking lot. I can see the lights off low level clouds miles north of your first photo. If there is anything to worry about, it is the daily Orange County Fire Department sirens on Reams Road. Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much.

kap91

I hate that that area is being developed but really it was bound to happen someday. It's really surprising that it didn't happen long ago with how close it is to Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom