A Church

lwalker8

You used to be able to attend services on property, but they are no longer offered-with the exception of certain religous holidays(Christmas, Easter). There are nearby churches though off property if you would like to drive to them. Anyone else have the specifics on those?:wave:

Upvote 0

PintoColvig

My suggestion is to get on Yahoo's Yellow pages. Surely there will be several catholic churches available nearby. Of course, there is that catholic-oriented "Mary, Queen of the Universe" Shrine at the Buena Vista Exit on I-4. I'm not sure it's a catholic church with a catholic mass though.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
K&K said:
There is a service held at Poly each week.

That has not been done for years. While Mary Queen of the Universe was looking for money to build their parish, they were always on property, but once done, they were no longer to find an available priest...or support the cost of transportation.

Walt Disney World in Florida has eliminated its 28-year tradition of offering on-site religious services to Christian guests.

The Orlando-based Disney resort and theme park began offering regular, weekend church services in 1975, but corporate officials claim the 35,000-acre facility can no longer accommodate 1,500 Catholic and Protestant families who want to go to those Sunday services.

http://www.maryqueenoftheuniverse.org/disneymass.html

You cannot even get a Catholic priest to conduct a wedding service on property.

PS: Sorry if there is excessive bitterness expressed....

Upvote 0
We always go to Mary Queen Shrine of the Universe. It is a Catholic church with Catholic masses. It's utterly beautiful and very peaceful.

It is literally a six minute cab ride from DTD, costing $6-8.

Mostly, you get a great preist, who asks where you're from, and explains to you a little about the church.

They always ask for $$ because they have no permanent parish.

Last time friends and I went, (my mother decided that if she gave us cab fare and guilted us into going on our day off, we'd go....she was right) the preist's homily was literally 29 min.long, and consisted of this:

"Give us money. Give us your money. We need your money. Allll your money. Do you have money? Give it. Give it to us.

Also, you should go visit Jesus' body and blood 89 times a day. That's what Saint Someone did.

By the way, do you have any more money? Give it."

We tried to be mature, but I ended up doing the whole silent-until-tears-are-falling-gasping-for-air-during-a-loud-song-wondering-if-I'll-ever-be-able-to-stop kind of laughter. It was a great day...

Upvote 0

KnK

ClemsonTigger said:
That has not been done for years. While Mary Queen of the Universe was looking for money to build their parish, they were always on property, but once done, they were no longer to find an available priest...or support the cost of transportation.

Thanks for the update. I was unaware!

Upvote 0

PintoColvig

amykissangel said:
We always go to Mary Queen Shrine of the Universe. It is a Catholic church with Catholic masses. It's utterly beautiful and very peaceful.

It is literally a six minute cab ride from DTD, costing $6-8.

Mostly, you get a great preist, who asks where you're from, and explains to you a little about the church.

They always ask for $$ because they have no permanent parish.

Last time friends and I went, (my mother decided that if she gave us cab fare and guilted us into going on our day off, we'd go....she was right) the preist's homily was literally 29 min.long, and consisted of this:

"Give us money. Give us your money. We need your money. Allll your money. Do you have money? Give it. Give it to us.

Also, you should go visit Jesus' body and blood 89 times a day. That's what Saint Someone did.

By the way, do you have any more money? Give it."

We tried to be mature, but I ended up doing the whole silent-until-tears-are-falling-gasping-for-air-during-a-loud-song-wondering-if-I'll-ever-be-able-to-stop kind of laughter. It was a great day...
I thought I read somewhere that the Mary, Queen of the Universe Shrine was not an "official" catholic shrine or church. I'm not catholic, BTW, but that's what I've heard or read somewhere. Anyone know if this is true?

Upvote 0

demento57

Original Poster
Thanks all,

yeah, we live a couple hours from Disneyland so that isn't' a problem. But as long as there's something near WDW we're good 2 go.

Upvote 0

Nansafan

Being a Eucharistic Minister at our parish, I made sure everyone went to mass at the Poly, Luau Cove in 2000. The homily consisted of the importance of attending mass while on vacation. We were there and so were loads of others since luau cove was packed. He really didn't need to tell us this was important, we were there. The homily was 35 minutes long, as Catholics we're not used to that. It was terribly hot and all 3 kids, and 2 adults in our group fell asleep. We have not gone back to church while on vacation since then. Oh and when the priest wasn't talking about going to church on vacation he was as PintoColvig said, "give us money to build a new church".

Upvote 0

PintoColvig

KentB3 said:
If you're visiting Disneyland in California, the largest church in America is less than 2 miles away! Here are a couple of weblinks:

http://www.crystalcathedral.org
http://www.hourofpower.org
Actually, the Crystal Cathedral is no longer the largest church in America, though it once was. Now, it doesn't even make the list of the Top 100 U.S. churches. The largest church in America is the Lakewood Church in Houston, TX where Joel Osteen is the pastor. They have a weekly attendance of 45,000. I don't know what the average attendance is at Crystal Cathedral but its membership is over 10,000. Still that makes Crystal Cathedral a very large church. :wave:

BTW, the sixth largest church in America is not too far from Disneyland (approx. 21 miles away). It's the Saddleback Church where Rick Warren, author of The Purpose Driven Life, is pastor. Their average attendance is 20,595.

FYI, I found this info. in a magazine and the only web link (http://www.churchgrowthtoday.org) requires a paid subscription to access it.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
PintoColvig said:
Actually, the Crystal Cathedral is no longer the largest church in America, though it once was. Now, it doesn't even make the list of the Top 100 U.S. churches. The largest church in America is the Lakewood Church in Houston, TX where Joel Osteen is the pastor. They have a weekly attendance of 45,000. I don't know what the average attendance is at Crystal Cathedral but its membership is over 10,000. Still that makes Crystal Cathedral a very large church. :wave:

BTW, the sixth largest church in America is not too far from Disneyland (approx. 21 miles away). It's the Saddleback Church where Rick Warren, author of The Purpose Driven Life, is pastor. Their average attendance is 20,595.

FYI, I found this info. in a magazine and the only web link (http://www.churchgrowthtoday.org) requires a paid subscription to access it.

Why is it that everything church related (Catholic or not) seems to require cash up front...:( Seems there used to be another primary purpose

...fondly remembering those mornings in the Luau cove....

Upvote 0

PintoColvig

ClemsonTigger said:
Why is it that everything church related (Catholic or not) seems to require cash up front...:( Seems there used to be another primary purpose

Now, now, the guy who hosts that website is a free-lance consultant who works by contract (ie., self-employed and not receiving a steady income from a church). It would be a safe bet to say that he is not independently wealthy either. Websites aren't free either. He has a right to make a living and feed his children, don't you think? Or do you work for free, too? :wave:

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Sorry, I retract the statement.
My intentent was not to start a religion flame war.

Answer to the thread question of whether services are held on property has been answered. Best we close I think. :eek:

Upvote 0

PintoColvig

ClemsonTigger said:
Sorry, I retract the statement.
My intentent was not to start a religion flame war.

Answer to the thread question of whether services are held on property has been answered. Best we close I think. :eek:

:lol: Very well then! A smart soldier knows when he has stepped into a field full of landmines and steps out! :lol:

Upvote 0

coasterphil

ClemsonTigger said:

The problem with Mary Queen of the Universe is that they don't have a steady parish, so they have to depend on the contributions of tourists to keep the church running. If the people visiting don't realize that they have no other source of money, then they aren't as likely to give their money.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom