A big difference I noticed between Disney and Universal

Goofyernmost

Not sure where you're getting your information from, but this is not true. Yes, the Magic Kingdom crushes everyone else. However, the remaining 3 Disney parks were just barely ahead of IoA as of 2013. With the opening of Diagon Alley, 2014 attendance figures are bound to make the race that much closer.
I'm not really arguing the numbers here except that WDW is one place with 4 parks. Universal Studios, Florida is one place with two parks. You really have to combine the numbers to really know what the attendance is for the group. IOA isn't anymore representative of the total Uni attendance then MK is of WDW. Personally, I don't care a tinker hoot how many people were at IOA independently. I have even been known to swing back and forth between Uni. Studio's and IOA 4 or 5 times a day. You want to talk real numbers combine the two then combine the 4 at WDW, because that is the only real number that counts. The one place definition is all important here in this determination.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Not sure where you're getting your information from, but this is not true. Yes, the Magic Kingdom crushes everyone else. However, the remaining 3 Disney parks were just barely ahead of IoA as of 2013. With the opening of Diagon Alley, 2014 attendance figures are bound to make the race that much closer.
Lol what do you think "just barely" means? Studios was at 10.1 million in 2013 with IOA at 8.1 million. I wouldn't call that "just barely."

Chef Mickey

I guess it depends on your definition of crushing. 8M versus 10M is a 25% gap. And that is comparing Disney's lowest attended park to Universal's highest. Disney is a package deal and overall, they are absolutely crushing Universal. I get Disney has more parks, but Disney is far and away the leader.

squidward

Original Poster
Lol what do you think "just barely" means? Studios was at 10.1 million in 2013 with IOA at 8.1 million. I wouldn't call that "just barely."

Given what Disney's lead was just 5 years ago, I would. In fact, it's been rumored that Universals attendance has been higher than Hollywood Studios so far in 2015.

Point being, Disney's supremacy in Florida should never have been challenged. However, they got lazy and Universal has taken advantage of that.

Wikkler

My wouldn't that be a fun attraction. Based on a tremendous actual disaster that killed hundreds of people. What a great ride that would make. Let's see... you're on a sinking ship in the frozen North Atlantic trying to fit 2000 people in 700 people worth of lifeboats. Oh, the fun. If you are lucky enough to make the life boat you get a free sticker commemorating your survival. Where does that queue start! Can't wait to see it.
experience-_outside_sjn7291.jpg

An actual attraction in Orlando.

Goofyernmost

The last I heard, it was in Orlando, but, if you'll pardon the expression, it went under. If it didn't, it should have. I don't even want to know about people who would get kicks out of reenacting thousands of deaths.

Maybe they could replace it with Auschwitz, The Experience!

Disneyhead'71

There was talk of turning T2:3D into the world's first water theater utilizing Titanic as the theme. One of those, "You WILL get wet on this attraction" kind of thing. Water gushing from the walls, flooded floor, and of course 3D screens.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
There was talk of turning T2:3D into the world's first water theater utilizing Titanic as the theme. One of those, "You WILL get wet on this attraction" kind of thing. Water gushing from the walls, flooded floor, and of course 3D screens.

Huh.. Not a bad idea TBH.. That park needs a water ride anyways!

MezzoMom45

"Another reason I consistently say Universal can build whatever they want, but they'll always be behind Disney because of their subpar, lacking, and non classic content.[/QUOTE]"

I don't think Disney has anything to be worried about right now in regards to being "ahead' of Universal in regards to attendance. They will always be the big guy in town as long as they stay the size they are. But I've got to say that Universal takes more risks because they are the "ugly stepsister" and as a result has been winning the creativity showdown hands down compared to the over hyped things WDW has done in the past few years. And if you think HP isn't classic content, you are mistaken. The Harry Potter "universe" of fans worldwide is HUGE. IT covers so many age groups and has for years. My 25 year old daughter and most of her peers were obsessed with the books, movies when they came out 18 years ago…and now my 11 year old son is as well. So are many of his friends. It shows no signs of stopping. Heck, I adore the HP stuff as much as the Disney stuff, and I'm a full on grown up! I am not alone :)
I personally believe that Universal gave Disney a shot in the arm it sorely needed. It took FOREVER for the Fantasyland expansion to be completed and in the same amount of time Universal added both HP parks and Transformers to boot. And no one in their right mind can say that the HP parks are subpar to anything Disney has done recently. It's hands down BETTER than anything we have seen in WDW. It's pretty amazing.
IMO, the Star Wars expansion is way overdue, and it will take forever but at least they are doing it. Avatar seems an odd choice but we shall see what happens. If Disney and Universal continue to think they are competing with each other, we all win as consumers. And that's what we are- consumers of this stuff. So they both need to keep bringing it!

I don't care that people love Disney over Universal. I love them both for different reasons. But let's at least attempt to be honest about a personal preference and not ignore facts.

thomas998

Not meant to be a which is better type thread, but just an observation. Universal owns the Fast and Furious series, which has grossed over $3.6 billion. Part 7 alone, in just it's 4th week, is going to pass Frozen on the list of all time biggest movies. Yet while Disney has basically turned WDW into Walt Frozen World, Universal hasn't shoved any F&F attractions down our throat. I'm sure at some point, they will. They'd be kind of crazy not to. But jeez, can you imagine if it was Disney? "It's made a billion dollars worldwide guys....Let's close down a couple classic rides, throw some F&F in there, have a Vin Diesel lookalike meet-n-greet, change Lights Motors Action to a F&F stunt show, change Test Track to a F&F theme, change Indy Speedway to an F&F theme."

The point I'm making is I used to think Universal had gone a bit overboard with the Harry Potter stuff, but there's obviously a time tested product there. Same goes for F&F. The 1st one came out 14 years ago. Disney on the other hand just grabs whatever is hot, gives no thought to the future, and milks the cow for all it's worth. In a kind of backwards way, that's what they're doing with Avatar. It's as if they checked out the top 10 money makers of all time and realized they had their pick of Avatar or Titanic and went with Avatar.

F&F appeals to a specific demographic as does Frozen or Harry Potter... Your typical F&F fan isn't as likely to be spending time in an amusement park for a big vacation, so it would make no sense to create a F&F land any more than it would make sense to create a Fifty Shades of Gray ride if that movie had been a huge hit. IF Universal thought the target audience of F&F would be willing to flock to their parks for F&F rides like Harry Potter fans do then they would already be building Vin Diesel animatrons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom