Hurricane Milton coming to FL

Phonedave

I did it as a kid and am still here. It was and is stupid but as you said lots of kids do it.
I once jumped in a storm swollen creek so cold I couldn't breathe, I was out in a flash, it was stupid
Kids do stupid stuff

I was a 9 y/o when hurricane David came though NJ. It flooded the golf course near my parents house. My friends an I went wading around in the 2 - 3 foot deep water after it passed. Yeah, lots of not so bright things as a kid.

gorillaball

Hopefully this will give companies an initiative to start moving all powerlines underground. It’s only a matter of time before it’ll be rare to see a powerline. Maybe this will make them consider how much better it can be when you’re in storm alley.
There are lots of reasons to not hurry them as well. Pros and Cons, not as simple as what is best in a Hurricane. Cost, accessibility, transmission efficiency etc.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I work with somebody whos' mother lives on Bayshore Blvd. He just got back from helping her recover from Helene.

According to him, during the flooding the city turns off the pumps for the sanitary (i.e toilets) sewer system to protect the sewage plants. His mother had 2' of water in her house, but the real killer was that it pushed everything back up the showers and toilets.

He sent a note out to his team at work, and this is what he said

"It got about 2ft of water inside the first floor this time. The sewer treatment facility shuts down its pumps during events like this. As the storm surge rises over the streets and above toilet level the water pressure causes the sewer pipes to flow backwards, coming out of the toilets and shower drains back into the homes. So the flooding and damage that has to be cleaned up is not simply saltwater. The smell can't be conveyed in the photos of flooding disaster scenes."

So yea, don't swallow it.
Sounds like a sanitary sewer backflow preventer is in order.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom