Hurricane Milton coming to FL 10/9

IanDLBZF

That fourth letter looks like what they gave guests during Charley back in 2004.
And for the record, here’s that letter (as given to Boardwalk guests).
Dear BoardWalk Guests:

THIS IS AN URGENT MESSAGE!

Due to the proximity of Hurricane Charley, the possibility is imminent that this area will be under storm conditions. In view of the size, strength, and possible path of this hurricane, we recommend that, if you are in a building away from the main lobby, you remain in your Guest room for your safety and do the following:

Keep away from windows and stay on the far side of the room.

Keep your connecting room doors open during periods when privacy is not necessary.

So that we may reach you in the event of an emergency, DO NOT double lock your Guest room door.

Leave your Guest room blinds or drapes closed and all patio furniture in the room.

DO NOT leave your room until notified.

For your enjoyment, we will have a continuous showing of the following feature films on these channels:

Finding Nemo Channel 14
Monsters Inc. Channel 18
Brother Bear Channel 23

Please continue to closely monitor the weather on your in-room television. We will advise you when the weather authorities have determined that the storm has passed. Also, please contact the Front Desk if you have any questions or require further assistance.

Sincerely,

The Cast of Disney?s BoardWalk Resort

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
That's good for you. My friends in Davenport also have concrete block and spent a bundle upgrading their windows to Hurricane force kind. Lets see if that investment proves right which I think it will.

Any home built after 2003 has to, under the Florida Building Code, have hurricane resistant windows.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I get it. Close enough to meaning. It was funny.

For what it's worth mentioning too:

Orlando is inland and more inland the better but the experts are letting people know this is the kind of storm that will bring high winds to Central areas as well.

There are going to be some billboards and pieces of attractions blowing, you can bet on it.

Stay safe everyone. It is weird being a former FL resident and being far away when they hit and you still have fam there.

I expect downed pine trees along roads as those ALWAYS fall over in a storm. Fortunately my neighborhood has only palm trees....and not very tall ones.

Fido Chuckwagon

I skipped this whole thread, so this might have been discussed already, but does this hurricane project to be as bad or worse than Irma in 2017? WDW made it through that relatively unscathed.
The potential is certainly there, yes. This has the potential to be historically bad, but there is a large cone of uncertainty this point and a lot of other unknowns.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Electronic based. So in case the keycard would not work and you were cut off from your family, you could not get to them without office assistance or electronic function.

And if your in a resort with rooms that open to the outside and you need to vacate your room during the storm due to damage, say water leaks, you can go to the room next door via the connecting door as opposed to going outside.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The 2pm update should have some eyewatering numbers. The last fix from the Hurricane Hunters puts the pressure at 912mb (down from 972mb at the 5am update.) Furthermore the last vertex message from the Hurricane Hunters had in the remarks: "Maximum Flight Level Wind: 158kts (~ 181.8mph) which was observed 5 nautical miles to the SW (226°) from the flight level center at 15:40:00Z" and Additional remarks of: "SUSTAINED MDT [moderate], OCNL [occasional] SVR [severe] TURB [turbulence] IN NW AND NE EYEWALLS, OBSERVED FLOCKS OF BIRDS WITHIN THE EYE"
Between Milton and the menu prices unveiled for the Cake Shop, I don't know how much more eye-watering news I can take today.

And will someone please just give Milton his damn stapler back already??? Maybe he'll calm down a bit. ;)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Seminole County just said they expect 33 Spaceship Earth's worth of debris from the storm. And that's on top of what Helene left behind.

celluloid

I expect downed pine trees along roads as those ALWAYS fall over in a storm. Fortunately my neighborhood has only palm trees....and not very tall ones.

Nice. I remember Palm Trees being uprooted in Charley and Wilma. Definitely stronger with their bend. It was wild to see them uprooted too. One against the house I was living at during Wilma.

Purduevian

That's like 8 Cosmic Rewinds! 😂
Could 4 Spaceship Earths fit into the GotG Gravity Building? Obviously not by height as SE is taller, but by volume?
SE Diameter is 165 feet.
Volume of SE =4/3* pi *(d/2)^3 = ~2,352,069 ft ^3
Volume of 4 SE=~9,408,276 ft^3

GotG is a rectangular prism, Height = 133 feet, area of concrete pour = 72,000 sqft
Volume of GotG gravity building = 9,576,000 ft^3

Surprisingly close, but he is right!
~8.1 of the gravity buildings!

IanDLBZF

Brightline service update (see below)⬇️
1728329114490.png

LSLS

This is a nightmare for Florida. Imagine trying to evacuate a good portion of Florida's 3rd largest city....
Yeah. I have some friends getting out. One said he's not looking forward to it, but this thing is to powerful to risk now. Said he's getting up at 2 am with his wife, kids, and pets and tracking up North (hoping to beat some traffic). Probably the best plan. We did that with Irma when we got dumped back into Canaveral a day early without any real knowledge of everything going on (and left middle of the night). It definitely helped compared to some people we met in the Carolinas at the hotel.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Curious as to why TDO hasn't made any closure announcements yet. I understand it's a huge operation and there are many things to consider, but it's not as if A) This storm is brand new as of this morning, and B) the track hasn't been fairly well-established for 36-48 hours and will impact the immediate area. We are 50-ish hours out from potential landfall and less than that until wind and rain begin impacting the greater Orlando area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom