News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Purduevian

Could 4 Spaceship Earths fit into the GotG Gravity Building? Obviously not by height as SE is taller, but by volume?
SE Diameter is 165 feet.
Volume of SE =4/3* pi *(d/2)^3 = ~2,352,069 ft ^3
Volume of 4 SE=~9,408,276 ft^3

GotG is a rectangular prism, Height = 133 feet, area of concrete pour = 72,000 sqft
Volume of GotG gravity building = 9,576,000 ft^3

Surprisingly close, but he is right!

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Could 4 Spaceship Earths fit into the GotG Gravity Building? Obviously not by height as SE is taller, but by volume?
SE Diameter is 165 feet.
Volume of 4 SE=~9,408,276

GotG is a rectangular prism, Height = 133 feet, area of concrete pour = 72,000 sqft
Volume of GotG gravity building = 9,576,000

Thank you for doing the math! I assumed he basically meant you could fit the show in their 4 times... so I guess that’s pretty much correct if you adjust for height.

Kman101

This is not exactly true. Iger mostly never gave a damn about Eisner's parks. He cares very much about his own park: Shanghai.

I think as time goes on and the parks become more of a reflection of his own legacy, Iger is seemingly more invested. Especially when it relates to his legacy of acquisitions.

And then the next CEO wants their own legacy .... lol. Wash/rinse/repeat.

IanDLBZF

This is why I think Eisner gets a bad rep. Many people, especially Defunctland fans, focus on the end of his tenure as CEO and see only negative effects on the parks. In reality he cared a lot and expanded the parks so much as CEO. Cutting Beastly Kingdom and greenlighting Disney's California Adventure were bad ideas. And while it was a financial disaster, Disneyland Paris is a beautifully designed park.
I agree. Hong Kong was a disaster too, and Epcot fell no thanks to him. I mean under Iger, Epcot's starting to improve, and DCA went under an overhaul. Never liked Eisner for that matter. He gave Disney a bad name during his time in office.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A piece of construction machinery is reported to have struck a support column inside the Universe of Energy, creating concern the column had shifted. The column will be inspected to ensure safety before work continues in the building for the upcoming Guardians Coaster.

Was the machinery that struck the column an EVC?

Bairstow

Fun thing, earlier this week Vekoma updated their website and it lists Disney as a partner. Remember when Vekoma wasn't allowed to acknowledge they worked with Disney?
https://www.vekoma.com/custom-designed-coasters
Chapek came right out and named Vekoma during the press conference this week. It's an unusual move to get credit like this on a Disney project, and one I assume Vekoma bargained for. Parks giving design firms, specifically for roller coasters, recognition is an interesting current trend, with more and more theme parks selling merchandise emblazoned with the design firms' logos in their gift shops.

trainplane3

Chapek came right out and named Vekoma during the press conference this week. It's an unusual move to get credit like this on a Disney project, and one I assume Vekoma bargained for. Parks giving design firms, specifically for roller coasters, recognition is an interesting current trend, with more and more theme parks selling merchandise emblazoned with the design firms' logos in their gift shops.
Exactly why I posted it. This has been up for about a week but I felt it wasn't really worth bringing up until he talked about the coaster. Personally, I think it's pretty nice to see them get credit. While Disney sends the designs (partially at least) to them and Vekoma makes it work.

I wonder if the Skyliner is a success that Doppelmayr will get some public credit for it.

Bairstow

Exactly why I posted it. This has been up for about a week but I felt it wasn't really worth bringing up until he talked about the coaster. Personally, I think it's pretty nice to see them get credit. While Disney sends the designs (partially at least) to them and Vekoma makes it work.

I wonder if the Skyliner is a success that Doppelmayr will get some public credit for it.
That will be interesting to see.
I think Disney has something to lose by properly crediting these external parties, because a lot of the public's admiration for Disney parks is based on the mistaken assumption that the company designs and builds everything you see there. People attribute and associate the Monorail with Disney, not with Bombardier.

OG Runner

A bigger version of one of the most popular and technically advanced themed attractions on the planet would be a lot of disappointment?

You have ridden Gringott's, true? The ride starts out very cool and doesn't get better. Read some of the discussions
under the Universal section of this site. Even fans of the ride note the screens are used too much, the coaster is not
really used properly, (except for the initial drop), and overall has a timing problem. In my opinion, (yes, just my opinion),
but the Mummy is a much better indoor coaster with theming than Gringott's.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1. While technically a coaster, Glimglots doesn't do a lot of *coasting.* Also, very importantly, I kinda like Greenslots.

2. Vekoma's credit may not be something they had to fight for. Current Disney management may have said to themselves, "Why are we keeping the identity of our attraction builders a secret?" "I dunno." "Neither do I." "OK, then, no more secrets."

PREMiERdrum

That will be interesting to see.
I think Disney has something to lose by properly crediting these external parties, because a lot of the public's admiration for Disney parks is based on the mistaken assumption that the company designs and builds everything you see there. People attribute and associate the Monorail with Disney, not with Bombardier.

Counterpoint: The only people who are likely to care (enthusiasts and industry watchers) likely already knew, and the casual observer isn't likely to notice at all... let alone care. However, allowing Vekoma to publicly disclose their work on the project and likely retain ownership of the ride system concept I'm sure was a portion of the negotiated contract that favored the mouse financially. While we can not be pleased with the way the are or aren't spending those savings, it's good for them to be exercising a bit of restraint.

Collectively, we don't as a culture have as much appreciation for creations and those who create them as we did historically, even as recent as the coaster wars from 25 years ago. The former adoration for physical creations and inventions has largely been replaced by an adoration for the abstract experience and emotional rewards, and marketing efforts must shift to match the new attitude.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
1. While technically a coaster, Glimglots doesn't do a lot of *coasting.* Also, very importantly, I kinda like Greenslots.

2. Vekoma's credit may not be something they had to fight for. Current Disney management may have said to themselves, "Why are we keeping the identity of our attraction builders a secret?" "I dunno." "Neither do I." "OK, then, no more secrets."

I'm not sure it has ever really been as secret. We've know how has built the majority of the ride systems going all the way back to thinks like Space Mountain and Big Thunder.

It just seems that in the current world of every single word being repeated, we hear about it more.

tl77

If Starlord isn't dancing to the UoE song..All is lost...

giphy.gif

The UoE song fits in pretty with GotG's 70's/80's soundtrack... this could work

MickeyMinnieMom

SE Diameter is 165 feet.
Volume of 4 SE=~9,408,276 ft^3

Volume of GotG gravity building = 9,576,000 ft^3

Did people actually doubt this? Like he'd say it if it wasn't true? I can't imagine what the point of that would have been.

(but I'm always a fan of a good calculation, so that's always cool :))

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom