News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Ayla

It seems the main sticking points are:

1. the laydown yards which are wetlands and part of the flood plain. They'd need to be cleared and dewatered to be used that way. And Florida makes people buy and reserve much large plots of wetlands to offset such usage, usually. I'm sure Florida wants to know... "Hey, all that buildable land you just created... planning to build on it, perhaps?"

2. The "river" of RoA. Disney just needs to show them that it's just a giant shallow cee-ment pond. There's isn't a working beaver lodge or any other natural biome in it.

3. And when it rains, where is the water landing in the park going to go?
Same place it does now ~ in our shoes.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney should welcome this! It’s another opportunity to demonstrate their commitment to preserving the environment.
And Disney does. Accessing the wetlands West of DHS (of which the starcruiser takes up a small space) was offset by buying wetlands elsewhere and setting them as a no-build holding. And there was a lot more land they had to put into conservation than they got to build on.

<the state makes Disney alter their expansion plans>

Disney haters: "They're not committed to conservation!"

<Disney does something for the environment>

Disney haters: "That's just virtue signalling!"

Incomudro

Who cares? Ripping out some of the last vestiges of Walt's FrontierLand is gross, and replacing it with Blizzard Beach race cars next to Haunted Mansion is criminal. "We have enough land for SEVEN more theme parks". Well use some of it instead of destroying traditional Disney and "transforming it" into Six Flags.
It's the most vile thing they are about to do.

Chef idea Mickey`=

After watching a walk through POV of Tokyo Disneyland and seeing their Frontierland with Splash Mountain and their RiverBoat and own River in all it's finest Glory on top of their American Harbor at DisneySea it makes it sad knowing in America it doesn't seem as important, and for Disneyland to maintain it simply because it's the original park is the only excuse that it has going..!

Quietmouse

Are the Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer Island just really expensive to keep running?

From what I understand from cast members that have spoken of, they said there are a lot of issues with the general operation of Tom Sawyer island and the logistics behind the operation. A lot of cast members are very supportive about the closure and have been voicing their complaints about the operations for years.

Also, the island itself is not ADA compliant, and if god forbid a medical emergency occurred the island is very much one of the worst places to be in magic kingdom.

So, I think this is definitely a layered situation that goes beyond oh well Disney is just trying to cut costs and throw in cars.

DisneyHead123

(Randomly careens by for weekly objection to this project.)

I think what perplexes me about this is that Disney has seemingly grown its brand by being so social media savvy / friendly / aware this past decade. Social media today is not my wheelhouse, but I come across the trends from time to time. Cottagecore. Sad beige. Tomato girl summer. Christian Girl Autumn (which doesn’t, strangely, have anything to do with Christianity that I can tell.) And you know what one never sees on those Pinterest inspiration boards? A bunch of cartoon cars with googly eyes. I mean I think I’m actually the target demographic for this area with my vehicle obsessed preschooler, and endless amounts of my time are spent trying to clean up the plastic vehicles covering every inch of my floor space so that I can shove them into felt greige bins. And now they’re tearing out the riverboat to put them in MK? Why?!

Ok, will drive by again same time next week…

UNCgolf

(Randomly careens by for weekly objection to this project.)

I think what perplexes me about this is that Disney has seemingly grown its brand by being so social media savvy / friendly / aware this past decade. Social media today is not my wheelhouse, but I come across the trends from time to time. Cottagecore. Sad beige. Tomato girl summer. Christian Girl Autumn (which doesn’t, strangely, have anything to do with Christianity that I can tell.) And you know what one never sees on those Pinterest inspiration boards? A bunch of cartoon cars with googly eyes. I mean I think I’m actually the target demographic for this area with my vehicle obsessed preschooler, and endless amounts of my time are spent trying to clean up the plastic vehicles covering every inch of my floor space so that I can shove them into felt greige bins. And now they’re tearing out the riverboat to put them in MK? Why?!

Ok, will drive by again same time next week…

I'm not a huge fan of this move, but let's be fair, the main demographic they are going for with Cars isn't really on social media. They're not targeting Instagram influencers. And if the attraction etc. is a hit with kids, that'll show up on social media via their parents.

DisneyHead123

I'm not a huge fan of this move, but let's be fair, the main demographic they are going for with Cars isn't really on social media. They're not targeting Instagram influencers. And if the attraction etc. is a hit with kids, that'll show up on social media via their parents.

I don’t know. I’m a parent, and I say to shove this attraction in the big greige bin the way I do with all the non wooden toys (that bin being HS, of course. 😂)

jeanericuser001

This isn’t “Walt’s Frontierland.”
Very true. The magic kingdom park has gone through so many changes that its hardly the park that was there when walt first started it up. Its a very different park and the consistent evolution of the park over the years has ensured that little by little the magic kingdom from that time period is slowly and deliberately being buried. When you also look at some of the original ideas they had planned for the park it seems almost entirely different from what was once there. Besides I think walt already is doing enough turning in his grave to power a small city so whats it matter if he does a few extra rotations a little faster.

HMF

Very true. The magic kingdom park has gone through so many changes that its hardly the park that was there when walt first started it up. Its a very different park and the consistent evolution of the park over the years has ensured that little by little the magic kingdom from that time period is slowly and deliberately being buried. When you also look at some of the original ideas they had planned for the park it seems almost entirely different from what was once there. Besides I think walt already is doing enough turning in his grave to power a small city so whats it matter if he does a few extra rotations a little faster.
Uh, Walt was not involved in planning or constructing Magic Kingdom. He was dead by then.

As somebody who does this type of work for a living, the RAI is pretty boilerplate. There's nothing in there that's going to force them to make substantial changes.
Will the response to this be made public similar to the permit? Would you expect it to reveal much more about the project or just minimum to answer the questions/requests?

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
This isn’t “Walt’s Frontierland.”
I disagree.
Uh, Walt was not involved in planning or constructing Magic Kingdom. He was dead by then.
I get why you're correcting that post, but Walt was alive when early planning was taking place, and a "Rivers of America" is visible in the concept art behind him in the EPCOT film.

DarkMetroid567

After watching a walk through POV of Tokyo Disneyland and seeing their Frontierland with Splash Mountain and their RiverBoat and own River in all it's finest Glory on top of their American Harbor at DisneySea it makes it sad knowing in America it doesn't seem as important, and for Disneyland to maintain it simply because it's the original park is the only excuse that it has going..!
I just rode the Mark Twain at TDL last week and it really is lovely, but much much better than it’s MK equivalent. Even then, the back half of their RoA kinda sucks and is easily bested by DL.

That being said, I also visited Hong Kong and really loved how their RoA is basically Jungle Cruise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom