News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

lazyboy97o

Josh made the lift aspect out to be added story integration but unless the cars are lifting individually or it's perceived that way, it won't feel accurate to how the scene is portrayed in the movie. Maybe the cars will face outward for boarding, lift up and then turn toward the track? I'm probably over thinking it but I just don't see the novelty here.
The novelty would be an entire train lifting up overhead of the loading platform in a show space.

Tha Realest

Based on the audience, I don’t think they would go too crazy with it. Maybe something like gringotts with coaster elements and a lot of slower story elements. It is possible they just go all out though on a more thrill coaster (minus inversions) but I kinda doubt it because of the IP
I also feel like a slower pace means they can squeeze a bit more runtime out of a confined environment. Tron takes up a ton of space for a relatively short experienced because of its speeds.

gorillaball

Josh made the lift aspect out to be added story integration but unless the cars are lifting individually or it's perceived that way, it won't feel accurate to how the scene is portrayed in the movie. Maybe the cars will face outward for boarding, lift up and then turn toward the track? I'm probably over thinking it but I just don't see the novelty here.
Were you also one of the ones troubled with Flight of Passage because you didn’t have wings or you could see another rider next to you?

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
Do we have instances of elevator lifts for entire trains? I guess the drop tracks on Hagrid’s are similar in principle.

I hope this novel element isn’t a source of significant downtime. This should have some impressive AAs that will have reliability issues of their own. Can’t run the ride if the Mike Wazowski that interacts with your train has gone limp. I suspect this concern will cause some characters to just appear on screens placed in doors.
I don't know, Mike is constantly on the verge of total emotional breakdown. Going limp seems pretty on brand for him.

Sneaky

I think it’s clear, no matter where monsters goes or if muppetvision 3D survives the next decade or not, that DHS is probably about to transform into a very different park than it has been for the past 30+ years. While I think most of the fake “golden age Hollywood streets and buildings” are safe (echo lake less sure about) and PROBABLY the Hollywood Tower Hotel (in some form) are gonna live, i do feel like we should probably prepare for DHS to shed a lot of the remaining stuff from the mgm days in the next decade or so (in my mind AC, RNRC, twilight zone theme, BATB show, and maybe muppets and Indy eventually, through I could be wrong for all of these)

TrainsOfDisney

I think it’s clear, no matter where monsters goes or if muppetvision 3D survives the next decade or not, that DHS is probably about to transform into a very different park than it has been for the past 30+ years. While I think most of the fake “golden age Hollywood streets and buildings” are safe (echo lake less sure about) and PROBABLY the Hollywood Tower Hotel (in some form) are gonna live, i do feel like we should probably prepare for DHS to shed a lot of the remaining stuff from the mgm days in the next decade or so (through I could be wrong)
I agree - and I think it’s strange how Iger and company want to drastically change the heart and soul of the parks. Maybe it’s an ego thing connected to all the praise he got for DCA early on?

DCA needed a different kind of help than the other parks.

pdude81

I'm hopeful that they move on with Monsters in AC and leave MV alone for now. Ultimately they will need to refurb Grand Ave, but it seems really short-sighted to remove that over Launch Bay if ultimately they plan to do both. Any method of connecting AC to the end of Sunset Blvd would make more sense than the current traffic flow. Rip off the band aid and just do it. I'd prefer they left Disney Jr. alone for now also.

For once I hope Corless has the right info.

Disstevefan1

Disney is stalling the official announcement of where Monsters will go this could be for a number of reasons:
They are still fighting internally on this 🤞
They are going to use the AC and and is holding on this good news to announce it when its in their best interest. 🤞
The have planned to destroy Muppets and is waiting for a busy news day to sneak the announcement out 👎

Sneaky

I agree - and I think it’s strange how Iger and company want to drastically change the heart and soul of the parks. Maybe it’s an ego thing connected to all the praise he got for DCA early on?

DCA needed a different kind of help than the other parks.
The soul of old DHS/MGM studios died with GMR. The “heart” of DHS as a park is completely different now. IMO, MGM studios completely enters the realm of the past when twilight zone theme leaves TOT, even if star tours, Indy, and muppets stick around after.
I'm hopeful that they move on with Monsters in AC and leave MV alone for now. Ultimately they will need to refurb Grand Ave, but it seems really short-sighted to remove that over Launch Bay if ultimately they plan to do both. Any method of connecting AC to the end of Sunset Blvd would make more sense than the current traffic flow. Rip off the band aid and just do it. I'd prefer they left Disney Jr. alone for now also.

For once I hope Corless has the right info.
I do hope muppets survives monsters, but a sad sort of realization that I had is that it’s probably in the latter stages of its life regardless. Grand avenue does need a refurb, and there isn’t much space to keep muppets for adding a new attraction, unless they close star tours which I doubt they do until SWGE gets an expansion. add on its age and lack of LL, MV3D is probably eventually on its way out. Hopefully the muppets get a new permanent attraction elsewhere.

Sneaky

My only thought: what if Monsters can utilize a smaller footprint but say Zootopia cannot and that is why they are saving AC. I do not want to lose Muppets but would appreciate two new expansions over one.
I would only accept this if they had a long term plan for the muppets somewhere else. Tbh I could see muppet labs being right at home in a revamped Tomorrowland.

pdude81

The soul of old DHS/MGM studios died with GMR. The “heart” of DHS as a park is completely different now. IMO, MGM studios completely enters the realm of the past when twilight zone theme leaves TOT, even if star tours, Indy, and muppets stick around after.

I do hope muppets survives monsters, but a sad sort of realization that I had is that it’s probably in the latter stages of its life regardless. Grand avenue does need a refurb, and there isn’t much space to keep muppets for adding a new attraction, unless they close star tours which I doubt they do until SWGE gets an expansion. add on its age and lack of LL, MV3D is probably eventually on its way out. Hopefully the muppets get a new permanent attraction elsewhere.
I really appreciate MV3D and still enjoy it, but like a lot of things at WDW I don't go to it every time I'm in that park. However, it's got a storied history and nostalgia where the launch bay doesn't. The only thing that location has going for it is that it's cheaper to do right now. But if they are going to rework both areas either way, it seems incredibly shortsighted to remove the Muppets while having 3 different Star Wars areas in the same park.

Tha Realest

Disney is stalling the official announcement of where Monsters will go this could be for a number of reasons:
Probably.
They are going to use the AC and and is holding on this good news to announce it when its in their best interest. 🤞
Not likely
The have planned to destroy Muppets and is waiting for a busy news day to sneak the announcement out 👎
Most likely

pdude81

My only thought: what if Monsters can utilize a smaller footprint but say Zootopia cannot and that is why they are saving AC. I do not want to lose Muppets but would appreciate two new expansions over one.
AC has a ton of space that can be used for expansion if they are willing to remove/relocate more backstage areas. I think there is plenty of room there for two lands if they don't plan to do multiple Zootopia neighborhoods. Just my two cents.

They don't even have the great moments in history muppets show in MK that I used to find really entertaining. Throw me a bone, Bob!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
4. They had no intentions of following up on construction of Monstropolis for months to come anyway. And therefore, nothing is stalled/delayed.

Sneaky

Wasnt that muppets HOP redo canned? Was never greenlit, but I’m sure it was a thing with how many trusted people talked about it. I can def seeing the plan as originally envisioned being announce monsters going in muppets, and then the HOP redo. I’m sure it’s all in the air rn with the elections changing and backlash from MV3D potentially closing.

Tha Realest

The MuppetVision is closing but we’ll soften the blow by converting HOP thing feels off to me.

If the Muppets (as owned and stewarded by Disney) were popular enough to justify the costs involved in converting HOP, we wouldn’t be having this discussion as MV wouldn’t be on the chopping block and it’s shop long closed.

Now, it’s possible one justification for converting HOP is to remove the supposed divisiveness of the pavilion, and Muppets are anodyne enough to do that. I don’t know new AAs of Muppets* would be any more expensive than the development and maintenance of all the human figures.

* I guess they could have a few AAs and make the rest of the attraction screen based

Sneaky

The MuppetVision is closing but we’ll soften the blow by converting HOP thing feels off to me.

If the Muppets (as owned and stewarded by Disney) were popular enough to justify the costs involved in converting HOP, we wouldn’t be having this discussion as MV wouldn’t be on the chopping block and it’s shop long closed.

Now, it’s possible one justification for converting HOP is to remove the supposed divisiveness of the pavilion, and Muppets are anodyne enough to do that. I don’t know new AAs of Muppets* would be any more expensive than the development and maintenance of all the human figures.

* I guess they could have a few AAs and make the rest of the attraction screen based
IMO, location is muppets problem, not the ip or show itself. Sure the age and LL lack may have a part in it, but it still is well attended and gets good GSATS. It’s real issue is that it’s smack dab in the middle of grand avenue, a leftover, kind of bland area with underperforming restaurants, little space, and has been woefully in need of some kind of update. If it was in, say, echo lake, or on sunset boulevard, it’d be fine. But because its in Grand, its kinda stuck.

As for HOP, i say screen based. It also would add ip to a place it wasnt before, and update a massive theatre that is underperforming and not connecting with guests for a long time, which Disney has been aware of for years. (Iago’s “going to the hall of presidents for a nap” comment was from 1998!)

Last edited:

CoasterFan27

This is like the rumours of the Nintendo Switch 2 being delayed when Nintendo hadn't announced when they were releasing it.

When did they say we should expect news of where they'd build it this year even? It's only stalled if you think the timeline we've invented here is the one Disney are using, which clearly it isn't.

The only indication we have of uncertainty within Disney is the rush of conflicting information we got from insiders which still wouldn't mean anything as we were shown two conflicting concepts so nothing from Disney has suggested a specific location at the time of announcement nor a timeline for construction to begin.

Just chill, wait for the news, react to it then...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom