What is you guys' opinion on the universal studios theme parks?

JIMINYCR

Uni is not Disney and Disney is not Uni. Each has their place and delivers different types of entertainment and pleasure. A vacationer can find something to say about both sites that are good and bad. Many families generally go to WDW when their kids are small and then go to Uni when they grow up and are ready for more thrills than what Dis is willing to bring.
I go to both but my majority of time is spent at WDW because it has more to do. But now that Epic is coming we will see if that gets me to spend more days there than before.
I’ve gone to both sites for their Halloween events and again both deliver a different level of entertainment and scare. Uni is definitely more over the top for the scares. Again both deliver, it’s all about what you are looking for.

jloucks

They complement each other. I have said it before, but I still think any trip to WDW should include a visit to Uni. Uni has some massively immersive experiences to enjoy. They also tend to be less crowded overall. The Harry Potter area can be crazy tho.

Mondo

Universal Studios is kind of stuck in a weird spot. That rosy romanticism of the 90s is completely evaporated now that we hear cynicism-inducing Hollywood news every week. So the studio buildings that are part of the theme, now just look kind of bland. It also doesn’t have very good rides imo. E.T. is the last original standing and honestly it’s not in great shape.

Islands of Adventure on the other hand- that is a great theme park. Wonderful theming, relatively low crowds outside of HP, great water rides, fantastic rollercoasters, and Jurassic Park.

JoeCamel

Universal Studios is kind of stuck in a weird spot. That rosy romanticism of the 90s is completely evaporated now that we hear cynicism-inducing Hollywood news every week. So the studio buildings that are part of the theme, now just look kind of bland. It also doesn’t have very good rides imo. E.T. is the last original standing and honestly it’s not in great shape.

Islands of Adventure on the other hand- that is a great theme park. Wonderful theming, relatively low crowds outside of HP, great water rides, fantastic rollercoasters, and Jurassic Park.
The soundstages are more than part of the theme though they are designed to serve a purpose that conventional buildings cannot, I don't think Universal is ready to give up the production money they make just yet not to mention their utility to support their most profitable event, the buildings will stay.

RoadiJeff

I don't care much for Universal. It seems that they are all about faster, spinning rides and I may have enjoyed that type of thing 40 years ago but not anymore. My wife and I are not Harry Potter fans, either. I stay away from TRON and Guardians at Disney but most everything else is enjoyable for me.

wdwfan4ver

I enjoy them. I'm looking forward to Epic Universe.
I know the original park is going to get some work done between 2025 and end of the decade. Simpsons land contract ends in 2028. Also Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket is supposed close for good in 2025 and be replaced by another coaster.

Goofyernmost

I've been going to Universal Florida since it first opened and up until recently, always was a secondary, change of pace location. I still enjoyed it but WDW was my primary focus. They are catching up with WDW, if not surpassing it with interesting attractions and friendly staff. My primary is now Universal. BTW, Universal Hollywood is very unique and in my mind more interesting than Disneyland.

Goofyernmost

I enjoy them. I'm looking forward to Epic Universe.

I know the original park is going to get some work done between 2025 and end of the decade. Simpsons land contract ends in 2028. Also Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket is supposed close for good in 2025 and be replaced by another coaster.
Simpson's is well done, especially in the land design, but I will never forgive them for thinking they could replace "Back to the Future" with that lame simulated rollercoaster. It's like cutting the rose off its stem and throwing away the rose and keeping the stem.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
My experience with Universal goes deeper than just rides and theming. Although, lately Uni's theming effort with new rides/lands has far exceeded Disney's. And Uni really needs to get rid of those damn "screen rides" or at least not build some for a while.

I look for a stress free vacation without the need to micro-manage. every aspect. And hands down that goes to Uni.

The other facet is being in the respective bubbles. The Disney bubble was once untouchable. Although it still is superior to Uni's, Uni has made some tremendous progress. The perks for staying on property at Uni are better than Disney, but as a negative, I just wish every Uni hotel wasn't run by Loews. I'd rather a bit of diversity and not the same cookie cutter forumla.

jloucks

My experience with Universal goes deeper than just rides and theming. Although, lately Uni's theming effort with new rides/lands has far exceeded Disney's. And Uni really needs to get rid of those damn "screen rides" or at least not build some for a while.

I look for a stress free vacation without the need to micro-manage. every aspect. And hands down that goes to Uni.

The other facet is being in the respective bubbles. The Disney bubble was once untouchable. Although it still is superior to Uni's, Uni has made some tremendous progress. The perks for staying on property at Uni are better than Disney, but as a negative, I just wish every Uni hotel wasn't run by Loews. I'd rather a bit of diversity and not the same cookie cutter forumla.
I am not a huge fan of the screen rides either. I mean, I don't dislike them, but they're not my first choice.

I can ride the biggest super-coasters on the planet and be just fine. Slap me on a robot arm in front of a screen tho and I get nauseated towards the end and am done for the day.

The WDW bubble overall is superior, but the Uni Potter mini-bubble is the ultimate winner, imho,

Goofyernmost

Screen rides? Back in the 60's, 70's and 80's Disney was the leader in animatronics. We got used to that because at the time that was the ultimate. Not any more! Todays screen technology is mind boggling. What can be done with screens that couldn't even come close with robots. Even Disney has cut way back on them and for a good reason. Screens, especially 3D, provides a much more intense experience and when mixed with animatronics makes for a much more rounded show.

Either way, everyone I have spoken with that once were at the very least yearly guests at WDW have cut way back on how often we would go or even like to go. Not to worry though because according to the average observation the parks are still full and all of them, including Disney, are using more and more screens. So, I'm guessing that there aren't many people that are upset by the increasing number of attractions utilizing screens.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I'm guessing that there aren't many people that are upset by the increasing number of attractions utilizing screens.

You would be wrong. A quick Google search will enlighten you. I won't post any references because there are various sources that may not be permitted to be posted on this forum.

But you can also look to this forum for some feedback

Mr. Sullivan

I think they’re some of the best theme parks in the world. Studios has some issues that they seem to be working out, but Islands is genuinely one of the top 3 theme parks in Florida behind only Animal Kingdom and EPCOT. Epic looks like it’s going to be fantastic as well. I really wish there was more overlap between fans of both resorts rather than the silly petty war some fans of both like to engage in. Universal is such an amazing time.

Mr. Sullivan

Screen rides? Back in the 60's, 70's and 80's Disney was the leader in animatronics. We got used to that because at the time that was the ultimate. Not any more! Todays screen technology is mind boggling. What can be done with screens that couldn't even come close with robots. Even Disney has cut way back on them and for a good reason. Screens, especially 3D, provides a much more intense experience and when mixed with animatronics makes for a much more rounded show.

Either way, everyone I have spoken with that once were at the very least yearly guests at WDW have cut way back on how often we would go or even like to go. Not to worry though because according to the average observation the parks are still full and all of them, including Disney, are using more and more screens. So, I'm guessing that there aren't many people that are upset by the increasing number of attractions utilizing screens.
When was the last time you checked in on Universal? They've been moving away from screen rides for awhile. Epic Universe has been confirmed to not even have a single screen ride.

So no, I’m not concerned because that’s going away.

Let me talk from a 61-year-olds experience. WDW is great for the wife and I we love the rides like everyone else but it's more than that to us. It's the shows and all the resort activities like fishing, Boat Rentals and so on, then throw in fine dining for us and a few drinks and of course the pools. Let the bus take us to Downtown Disney (Sorry, just loved that name) and take the boat back to our resort. Also throw in souvenir shopping and a movie and maybe go bowling and so on. The water parks are an all-day fun experience followed by dinner and fireworks or one of the nighttime shows.

Now Universal is amazing and a first-class theme park. They have done a great job but the difference for us is Disney is our Resort and theme park that offers way more to do for us than just hit all the rides as much as we can. As I am getting older I want to still ride all the rides, but want to do one day parks and next day resort things and places to eat and take in a show or go shopping and get some ice cream and so on. They are both great. My preference is WDW just because I can relax and just enjoy more with a vacation experience with great theme parks to boot. This is my preference and not anyone Eleses.

the_rich

Haven't been to universal since 2003 and have no plans to go back. I don't do coasters with big drops or inversions. So outside of the potter lands there isn't much for me. I don't really feel like spending $200 to visit the lands and not even be able to ride most things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom