What is you guys' opinion on the universal studios theme parks?

MickeyLuv'r

I agree with most of the pp's, with a few additions.
To play the new Minions blaster game, you need to use the Universal App, because it explains what you are trying to do, and you select a mission. The first time I rode it I was a bit confused, but a few minutes with the app, and it all made sense. You then pair your blaster with your phone.

Also, on this ride an others, pay attention to the pre-ride screens in the queue. They are giving you information that is pertinent to the attraction.

The Minions popsicles are excellent. Just as WDW, some Uni QS are terrible, but others are decent. Falls Terrace has good food. Central Park Crepes is also super.

Velocicoaster is one of the best rides in Orlando.

The pop-up stores are also really neat, and show a fun creativity.

wdwfan4ver

So, I'm guessing that there aren't many people that are upset by the increasing number of attractions utilizing screens.
Not the case. When Universal did a youtube video on Super Nintendo World for Epic Universe, they made a big deal of the Donkey Kong Roller Coaster not having screens. They big a big deal because of the screen backlash Universal had been getting.

Goofyernmost

You would be wrong. A quick Google search will enlighten you. I won't post any references because there are various sources that may not be permitted to be posted on this forum.

But you can also look to this forum for some feedback

There are literally tens of thousands of people that enter anyone of of the four gates at WDW and Uni. In my opinion, at least two thirds of those people don't give a tinkers damn about screens at all. They are looking for entertainment and that is what they get, be it live action, animatronics, screens or a combination of all three.

Whatever sources you have are generated by asking people that are of the status of old time veteran. It is those that are unable to appreciate progress and just exactly what theme parks are intended to provide. I was there in the beginning of Animatronics and I loved them, but the addition of screens has increased my enjoyment of the attractions, and I spend little time looking back. I appreciated what was in the past, but I am not going to allow myself to diminish things simply because they are different than what I was used too. That is especially true when those changes represent advancement in the quality of the show.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Not the case. When Universal did a youtube video on Super Nintendo World for Epic Universe, they made a big deal of the Donkey Kong Roller Coaster not having screens. They big a big deal because of the screen backlash Universal had been getting.
Not sure how "screens" would work with a Roller Coaster anyway, but it really means nothing and was directed only at those that are coaster fans if that was the case.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Well, cosmic rewind is a coaster with screens and a fantastic one at that.

Gringotts works too. My point had to do with an over reliance of screens. Take USO as an example:

Fallon - Screen
Old Minion Ride - Screen
New Minion Ride - Screen
Transformers - Screen
Simpsons - Screen
Fast And Furious - Screen
Gringotts - Screen

Enough with the screens.

the_rich

Gringotts works too. My point had to do with an over reliance of screens. Take USO as an example:

Fallon - Screen
Old Minion Ride - Screen
New Minion Ride - Screen
Transformers - Screen
Simpsons - Screen
Gringotts - Screen

Enough with the screens.
I agree...I like them the way they are employed on navi and tba for instance. Adding background and depth but not the main focus. Cosmic rewind gets away with it because it's so much fun and it would be really hard if not impossible to get the same effect practically.

Andrew25

Universal has been aware of the over reliance of screens for quite some time now, last screen-reliant ride project at UOR was F&F which opened in 2018 and Fallon in 2017. Both of those experiences were planned around 2015-16 when SNW was still in the works for USF and Secret Life of Pets was planned for USF prior to Villain-Con being chosen instead.

No excuses, but USF got screwed when they decided to move projects into Epic Universe instead.

Since then, Universal has opened attractions in Hollywood and Orlando that are mainly coasters or dark rides with screens AND practical sets.

The lineup for Epic Universe does have rides with screens, but they're not entirely reliant on them. It'll just take a few more years for USF to replace some of the older experiences.

LittleMerman

They have some really great rides. Hagrids is my favorite roller coaster of all time. However, a lot of them make me sick - a lot of the rides that use 3D screens and a lot of the mega coasters. And I don't care about any of their IPs.

Some of their theming is great, like the Harry Potter lands. Most of it is basic theme park theming you can find anywhere. Overall, I'm not super impressed with them but they're not terrible. I'd much rather go to Disney or SeaWorld.

I think Epic Universe might be different though. It looks pretty amazing and you can tell they're putting a lot of effort into the theming. However, I will say I don't care about any of those IPs either. But the experience looks really fun.

PS. I went to the Halloweent event last year and it was terrible. We had time to go through two houses bc the lines were so insane. It was a nightmare (and not in a good way).

Vegas Disney Fan

For us Universal has 2 eras, pre Harry Potter and post Harry Potter, we like most their new stuff, we dislike most of their old stuff.

When they don’t (over)use screens we generally love their rides, when they do (over)use screens we generally dislike them.

I can’t wait to see Epic, an entire park built with their post HP philosophy has the potential to be amazing.

Vclguy90

The upcoming powerhouse of the Theme Park Business - will eventually buy out Disney and bring it back to it's original glory. 👀

Minnesota disney fan

Disney has always been our family's vacation spot due to the nostalgia and atmosphere. We stayed at our favorite resorts which were a big part of the nostalgia. The sad decline, IMO, of WDW has caused us to look elsewhere, and that is Universal. I wasn't sure of this move to Universal at first, but was very surprised at the quality and service at their Lowe's hotels and the array of fun things to do in their parks. Of course, HP lands are just so unique. You feel like you have stepped right into the movies while there. There is nothing else like it anywhere.
I absolutely love Universal now and it is our family go-to place for theme park vacations. We went for 3 1/2 days last year but that was Not enough to see and do everything. So this fall, we are going for 5 l/2 days and hope that will be enough. Is it disney? No, But it has a lot that is fun and enjoyable. It is not all "rides". I find new things to see and do with each trip and enjoy going to the ones that I have been to before.
It is not the nostalgia vacation that Disney Was to us, but it a wonderful experience that is easy to navigate and enjoy. You don't have to be on your phone all day and racing around to rides. You can go at your pace and if you see something you want to do, just get in line. No pressures at all. They have a nice variety of shows that are a lot of fun too.

All of this to say that we are now Universal converts and wont' be returning to WDW anytime soon. We have found our new home at Universal and each new trip just gets better.

Vegas Disney Fan

Is it disney? No, But it has a lot that is fun and enjoyable. It is not all "rides". I find new things to see and do with each trip and enjoy going to the ones that I have been to before.
It is not the nostalgia vacation that Disney Was to us, but it a wonderful experience that is easy to navigate and enjoy. You don't have to be on your phone all day and racing around to rides. You can go at your pace and if you see something you want to do, just get in line. No pressures at all. They have a nice variety of shows that are a lot of fun too.
We are leaning this way too, I think we’ll always be Disney fans first but the reality is Universal is now easier and in many ways more relaxing, which is a major point of a vacation.

Prior to Genie I don’t think either of us would have considered sacrificing WDW days for Universal, we’d do a week at WDW and not give Uni a thought, now it’s a no brainer to do 4 days at Disney and 2 at Uni, with Epic opening soon that may even become 3 and 3.

JohnD

Fallon - Screen
Old Minion Ride - Screen
New Minion Ride - Screen
Transformers - Screen
Simpsons - Screen
Gringotts - Screen

Enough with the screens.
I would change the word "screen" to "motion simulator". It's not the screen that affects me so much as all the constant movement, even if some of it is forward movement as in Kong. I would also add Spiderman. After all of that my equilibrium is shot.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I would change the word "screen" to "motion simulator". It's not the screen that affects me so much as all the constant movement, even if some of it is forward movement as in Kong. I would also add Spiderman. After all of that my equilibrium is shot.

Agree. For me that Kuka Arm on FJ is brutal. Used to ride every trip. Now it’s once a year.

celluloid

Haven't been to universal since 2003 and have no plans to go back. I don't do coasters with big drops or inversions. So outside of the potter lands there isn't much for me. I don't really feel like spending $200 to visit the lands and not even be able to ride most things.
Universal currently only has two coasters with inversions. Between their two parks

Size of drops is more subjective, but really three at most.

I don't think it is genuine with your peramiters to say most things.

Otherwise Animal Kingdom, EPCOT and Hollywood Studios would be there for you now as well.

the_rich

Universal currently only has two coasters with inversions. Between their two parks

Size of drops is more subjective, but really three at most.

I don't think it is genuine with your peramiters to say most things.

Otherwise Animal Kingdom, EPCOT and Hollywood Studios would be there for you now as well.
Well, I don't do rock n rollercoaster or tron in wdw. So if I can see the drop it's an issue. I can do tot and also Everest because the drops are kind of hidden. Something like cosmic rewind gets me sick with all the spinning.

Weather_Lady

Haven't been to universal since 2003 and have no plans to go back. I don't do coasters with big drops or inversions. So outside of the potter lands there isn't much for me. I don't really feel like spending $200 to visit the lands and not even be able to ride most things.
FWIW, my husband doesn't do coasters with big drops or inversions either, and we still find so much to do at Universal (in terms of gentler rides, shows, smaller attractions and dining) that we started buying Seasonal Annual passes (which only cost us $100 more than a 3 or 4 day park ticket) so we could go a few times a year.

A lot has happened in the last 21 years, and tons more is coming with Epic in 2025, which has just 1 coaster, maybe 2, that would be off-limits to you. And the touring and queuing experience at Universal is infinitely more pleasant and stress-free, with no need to spend the day on your phone. I'd encourage you to consider a revisit!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom