What is you guys' opinion on the universal studios theme parks?

Goofyernmost

Haven't been to universal since 2003 and have no plans to go back. I don't do coasters with big drops or inversions. So outside of the potter lands there isn't much for me. I don't really feel like spending $200 to visit the lands and not even be able to ride most things.
I personally hate coasters, yet I can easily spend a day or two at Universal and go to many attractions in both Uni Studio's and Islands of Adventure that aren't coasters or anything even remotely like a coaster. Yes, generally based on space available Disney is not the place to go if you only want coasters and that is one of the reasons why it has been so successful, however, it does have them now. Uni also has things that aren't coasters and most are very well done. I am fortunate that I have never had and problems with motion simulators or 3D anything. To me they are advanced entertainment that doesn't have my stomach forcing it's way into my throat. To me screens and motion is what makes a generally static attraction enjoyable. Life is scary enough without my paying someone to make me scared.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Universal currently only has two coasters with inversions. Between their two parks

Size of drops is more subjective, but really three at most.

I don't think it is genuine with your peramiters to say most things.

Otherwise Animal Kingdom, EPCOT and Hollywood Studios would be there for you now as well.
What two coasters?

tanc

Only have been to Orlando Uni and the one in Japan, I think they're great. Mario land is super impressive to me, turning a game into a theme park is one hell of a challenge and they nailed it. On the contrary, Harry Potter looks so impressive as well, it really looks like Hogwarts when you go around the area and Forbidden Journey is a Disney quality attraction.

celluloid

I believe Halloween o_O has always been UNI's biggest event of the year. :)
Actually in 1990 for Florida their Christmas event was bigger, but that changed by 1991. So practicaly always.
(Sorry, saw your reply)
Also, Mummy's drops are hidden and within the height of its building. Some less than Space's largest(steeper and faster at times)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Personally I like and enjoy them and hope I do Epic Universe. Its different in that the theming is more compact and concentrated in smaller areas.

iamgroot61

In the Parks
No
Disney sets the standard for theme parks. In my experience, Universal is the only competitor who even comes close, but they still don't hit the mark. Their build-out of the Harry Potter areas really upped their game in my opinion. Interestingly, Disney could have had HP, but passed.

Jrb1979

Disney sets the standard for theme parks. In my experience, Universal is the only competitor who even comes close, but they still don't hit the mark. Their build-out of the Harry Potter areas really upped their game in my opinion. Interestingly, Disney could have had HP, but passed.
I agree that Disney is the best when it comes to immersive theming. Ride wise I don't think they are as good as they once were. At one time Disney was known for their immersive dark rides like Horizons and World of Motion. Now it feels they are trying to get into the thrill ride game. That's where IMO Universal excels.

Goofyernmost

I agree that Disney is the best when it comes to immersive theming. Ride wise I don't think they are as good as they once were. At one time Disney was known for their immersive dark rides like Horizons and World of Motion. Now it feels they are trying to get into the thrill ride game. That's where IMO Universal excels.
I know most don't want to recognize it but Uni has not only kept up but if you can find a land like "Potter" which cover two and a half parks (half being the train ride) they make Disney look like amateurs in emersion. And since they forced all their experienced imagineers to want to spend more time with their families or a different challenge most of the imagineers are amateurs at this point. If they spent more time trying to do dark rides at Disney and fewer "thrill" they would still be the leaders. And then the comparisons would strictly be about the market that they originally aimed their efforts to entertain.

JoeCamel

Disney passed.....

Yeah.....

rcapolete

We did Uni a few years back. Got 2 days free when we purchased 2 day tickets. By day three we had been in every ride multiple times. Definitely not a week long place, at least not now. Maybe their third gate will help with that.

BasiltheBatLord

I was at USO in January and it was extremely apparent how IOA is a MUCH better park than USF right now. IOA is a potentially top 5 theme park in the world, USF is in a really sorry state with its past several attractions being flops.

Minnesota disney fan

I was at USO in January and it was extremely apparent how IOA is a MUCH better park than USF right now. IOA is a potentially top 5 theme park in the world, USF is in a really sorry state with its past several attractions being flops.
I don't know. It's all based on personal perceptions. We love the Studios side much more than IOA. I'm not a fan of the over the top comic themes. MIB, the Bourne Experience, Animal Actors, and many more are found in the Studios. There are more places to wander around and check out, including some wonderful and unique shops.
We like IOA but tend to spend most of our time in the Studios.
So a blanket statement like that is not always accurate, just in the eye of the beholder:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom