Moana 2 (Disney Animation - November 2024)

Miss Rori

They haven’t really pushed much from theaters down to D+ since then.

It also ignores what Disney’s already done with Alien: Romulus.
I'll chalk their not mentioning Alien: Romulus (and the success it's seen in the process of going to theaters) as not exactly being on brand with a discussion of Moana 2. ;) But that is a good point.

It is true that post-pandemic height the theatrical windows tended to be pretty short with films like Encanto and Strange World, but otherwise they've kept films around a while in theaters, possibly longer than other studios have before releasing them to digital purchase/rental platforms. It happened with Elemental and it certainly happened with Wish even when it became clear with the latter that next to no one wanted to see it (if they hadn't already in the first weekend) and it was being shunted to matinees only in the smallest auditorium in the multiplex. I still think that had Disney cut its losses and sent it to Disney+ for Christmas, they could have salvaged some of its potential audience; by the time it hit digital and Disney+ (missing multiple holiday weekends and periods where kids would have been at home!) anyone above 12 who cared probably heard more than enough about how bad it was. If anything, I got the sense from the article that Disney corporate wants everybody to forget Strange World and Wish ever happened.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m with @Miss Rori here. The “relegation” experiment really only lasted from late Spring 2020 through late summer 2021; by the fall of 2021 they stopped with the D+ or theatrical/D+ Premier Access stuff, and went back to reprioritizing their theatrical slate. They haven’t really pushed much from theaters down to D+ since then.

It also ignores what Disney’s already done with Alien: Romulus.
There were still movies in late 2021/early 2022 that were released D+ or had a short theatrical window, 45 days or less, before pushing to D+.

Just a quick few -

Encanto
Shang-Chi and the Legends of the Ten Rings
Nightmare Alley
Turning Red
The Bob's Burger Movie

And while not all of these were likely blockbusters, Shang-Chi, Encanto, and Turning Red were meant to be. It wasn't until mid-2022 before they went fully back to theatrical. I know it seems like a long time ago, but it was only last year in 2023 that was really the first full year since 2019 they were full theatrical.

Miss Rori

Well, I'm impressed they were able to get Moana 2 IMAX-optimized in time. But as the article notes, it's definitely going to have to share those screens with two other movies (Gladiator II and Wicked Part One). Perhaps Moana 2 will primarily play matinees (at least after the first weekend or so)?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well, I'm impressed they were able to get Moana 2 IMAX-optimized in time. But as the article notes, it's definitely going to have to share those screens with two other movies (Gladiator II and Wicked Part One). Perhaps Moana 2 will primarily play matinees (at least after the first weekend or so)?
As was discussed before, it wouldn't be a surprise for both Gladiator 2 and Wicked to lose most if not a majority of their IMAX screens since both are opening prior on Nov 22nd.

DisneyWarrior27

With only under 2 months til Moana 2 comes out, I should probably remind you how imperative it is that this film be a success, as
the fate of many animators and storytellers at Walt Disney Animation Studios rest on the success of this film at the global box office, which in turn rests on the quality of this film that hopefully will be shown strongly with the amount of effort the animators may still be finishing up as we speak to make it look lit.

Let us ensure that all the animators efforts on this movie does not end in vain, even with them going through what many of the animators at Pixar went through during the final days of the production of Inside Out 2 to make that movie be the savior of Pixar it ended up being.

Let us ensure, amidst the Animation Guild’s still-ongoing efforts, that another movie makes the supposed billion it makes to save those souls’ jobs and bring in many more to come, even with the chance of bringing back potentially veterans of Disney Animation to work on Tiana if it becomes a hand-drawn animated movie sequel to The Princess And The Frog, should Moana 2 making a billion give Disney the impression that maybe making more sequel series to Disney animated films of WDAS into sequel movies is better for a ROI than as a Disney+ series that would be watched by so little people.

It’s time… to make Walt Disney Animation Studios great again. Financially & creatively.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
With only under 2 months til Moana 2 comes out, I should probably remind you how imperative it is that this film be a success, as
the fate of many animators and storytellers at Walt Disney Animation Studios rest on the success of this film at the global box office, which in turn rests on the quality of this film that hopefully will be shown strongly with the amount of effort the animators may still be finishing up as we speak to make it look lit.

Let us ensure that all the animators efforts on this movie does not end in vain, even with them going through what many of the animators at Pixar went through during the final days of the production of Inside Out 2 to make that movie be the savior of Pixar it ended up being.

Let us ensure, amidst the Animation Guild’s still-ongoing efforts, that another movie makes the supposed billion it makes to save those souls’ jobs and bring in many more to come, even with the chance of bringing back potentially veterans of Disney Animation to work on Tiana if it becomes a hand-drawn animated movie sequel to The Princess And The Frog, should Moana 2 making a billion give Disney the impression that maybe making more sequel series to Disney animated films of WDAS into sequel movies is better for a ROI than as a Disney+ series that would be watched by so little people.

It’s time… to make Walt Disney Animation Studios great again. Financially & creatively.
As much as I applaud your sentiment I don't think its as dire as you're making it. Disney is not going to completely shutter WDAS if Moana 2 doesn't do well. And besides some here would say that Disney needs to clean house on the studio anyways.

As much as I want this movie, and all Disney movies, to do well the fate of the studio doesn't rest on this film. So lets just hope it does well and leave it at that. :)

DisneyWarrior27

As much as I applaud your sentiment I don't think its as dire as you're making it. Disney is not going to completely shutter WDAS if Moana 2 doesn't do well. And besides some here would say that Disney needs to clean house on the studio anyways.

As much as I want this movie, and all Disney movies, to do well the fate of the studio doesn't rest on this film. So lets just hope it does well and leave it at that. :)
I don’t know, man.

That IGN article made it sound like if Inside Out 2 didn’t deliver, Pixar would shudder forever.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don’t know, man.

That IGN article made it sound like if Inside Out 2 didn’t deliver, Pixar would shudder forever.
You know that articles like that are written to evoke a certain feeling out of the reader. So of course it made it seem that way even if it’s not true. Also Disney wouldn’t completely close either of their animation studios, but they could restructure them. Anyways again just hope the movie does well and don’t worry about the rest, as what will be will be.

Prince-1

Slightly over dramatic with this take.

Ghost93

It was a HUGE mistake to not have Lin Manuel Miranda be involved in the music and storytelling process. His music is what makes the first film.

DisneyWarrior27

It was a HUGE mistake to not have Lin Manuel Miranda be involved in the music and storytelling process. His music is what makes the first film.
We can’t just say that yet until we hear every new song in the movie.

Plus, there are a lot of fans who feel that Lin-Manuel Miranda’s style has become too same-y.

So, I’m cool with new songwriters, especially since the 1st of the new songs, “We’re Back,” sounds like a successor to “Make Way (Moana)” and sounds like it fits in the world of Moana.

easyrowrdw

I think the music was great, but he wasn’t working alone. And he wasn’t responsible for the score. He wrote some all-time songs but Foa’i and Mancina did stellar work as well. Still, I think it would be better if Miranda was back. I assume he wasn’t involved bc it was supposed to be a TV show. That (along with not having the original directors) is what worries me the most.

DisneyWarrior27

I think the music was great, but he wasn’t working alone. And he wasn’t responsible for the score. He wrote some all-time songs but Foa’i and Mancina did stellar work as well. Still, I think it would be better if Miranda was back. I assume he wasn’t involved bc it was supposed to be a TV show. That (along with not having the original directors) is what worries me the most.
The Inside Out sequel didn’t have the original director back and it still turned out as good as the first, IMO.

No need to say Moana 2 could be at risk of being inferior without the old crew until we see it.

easyrowrdw

The Inside Out sequel didn’t have the original director back and it still turned out as good as the first, IMO.

No need to say Moana 2 could be at risk of being inferior without the old crew until we see it.
Inside Out 2 wasn't a TV show that they decided to turn into a movie. As I said, that worries me about Moana 2. They're also doing this at the same time they're doing a live action remake. It feels a bit haphazard to me. But Moana is great so I'd like for this one to follow suit.

There's no need to say anything about any of this stuff. But it's a discussion board so I'll continue to share my thoughts.

DisneyWarrior27

Inside Out 2 wasn't a TV show that they decided to turn into a movie. As I said, that worries me about Moana 2. They're also doing this at the same time they're doing a live action remake. It feels a bit haphazard to me. But Moana is great so I'd like for this one to follow suit.

There's no need to say anything about any of this stuff. But it's a discussion board so I'll continue to share my thoughts as I see fit.
True, but need I remind you that Toy Story 2 was also meant to be a direct-to-Video movie (if not a series) before it became a movie too and look what happened there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom