News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Professortango1

WDW's had one big theme advantage over Cali - when the elevator doors open it reveals an elevator. In Cali the elevator door open to reveal .... a hallway with another set of doors ! And the thing about the 5th dimension - you're actually supposed to be on your back, traveling up to the sky (the stars). Next time look at the lamps and signage on the sides and you'll see they are sideways. I once road with an imagineer who explained this and said an effect was never added because of time and budget that would have shown the building twisting.
That sounds incredible. I've heard that a few imagineers mention that the 5th Dimension Room had big ambitions but it was reduced and the idea that just the car moving horizontally would be a big enough awe factor to excuse a thinly staged sequence. The first trip that was true for me. But every ride after that has left me less and less in love with the original and more appreciative of the newer version Disney created.

Professortango1

I don't recall seeing the river around the Encanto house in the leaked concept art so that's at least one difference from what I can tell.
It's pink.
2023-wdw-dak-dinoland-encanto-retheme-concept-art-1-768x584.jpg

Nickm2022

Other differences include the enterence is different, along with the river. Plus the enterence to the land looks different in the other leaked piece of art. Also the addition of animals (or at least birds).

co10064

Premium Member
We keep seeing a mountainous berm beyond the Casita facade. I wonder if that will make the final cut, or if it’s artistic license…?

RoysCabin

Whatever rides they put in, I just have to admit I hope they get away from "there's a mission, and we need YOU to help us accomplish it!" ride stories. Like, I know that's the story in Dinosaur, but at the same time it's more that Seeker is using us and we're helplessly riding along with his scheme, not that we, a bunch of passive tourists sitting in a vehicle, are somehow instrumental to his project's success through our own actions.

The nature of riding a theme park attraction is that you are passively experiencing something; turning it into "you saved the day!" has always struck me as particularly lame, going back to the initial Kilimanjaro Safari storyline where we "save" the elephants.

doctornick

Whatever rides they put in, I just have to admit I hope they get away from "there's a mission, and we need YOU to help us accomplish it!" ride stories. Like, I know that's the story in Dinosaur, but at the same time it's more that Seeker is using us and we're helplessly riding along with his scheme, not that we, a bunch of passive tourists sitting in a vehicle, are somehow instrumental to his project's success through our own actions.

The nature of riding a theme park attraction is that you are passively experiencing something; turning it into "you saved the day!" has always struck me as particularly lame, going back to the initial Kilimanjaro Safari storyline where we "save" the elephants.

I tend to agree, but don't think the Safari is a particularly egregious case of this - much like with Dinosaur, I think the premise is that your guide on the safari was the one who needed to go and "save" the elephant and we as tourists were just along with the ride because we were in the vehicle. I don't think there was a concept that we were doing anything to rescue the elephant.

To be fair to Disney, I think Universal is much more guilty of overusing and/or ineffectually using that trope.

Gusey

I know, that's the original art from d23, I'm referring to the leaked art from a few days ago. It appears as if the pink river is gone from this art, obviously we don't know for sure if this art is real but it's just something interesting worth noting.
View attachment 792436
Any chance the river is behind us in the leaked concept art? I feel like the river is something they've mentioned a few times with this project

RoysCabin

I tend to agree, but don't think the Safari is a particularly egregious case of this - much like with Dinosaur, I think the premise is that your guide on the safari was the one who needed to go and "save" the elephant and we as tourists were just along with the ride because we were in the vehicle. I don't think there was a concept that we were doing anything to rescue the elephant.

To be fair to Disney, I think Universal is much more guilty of overusing and/or ineffectually using that trope.
You may be right and I'm just misremembering it a bit.

A lot of whether that trope works does come down to what kind of ride it is, how the riders' presences are acknowledged (or not), etc. Like, I get it being used for something like Buzz Lightyear in MK or Mario Kart in Universal; with the option to fire weapons it means you're no longer "passive" on those rides, so some kind of acknowledgement of us at the end makes sense. And yeah, stuff like Dinosaur or Spider-man at Islands of Adventure have us along for the ride in an intense situation, but nobody's acting like "YOU saved the Iguanodon!" or "YOU stopped the Sinister Six!", as Spidey even goes out of his way to tell us we're taking a senseless risk and then saves us along the way. And obviously there's the originator of this concept - the old Fantasyland dark rides where you're supposed to assume the role of Snow White, Peter Pan, Alice, Mr. Toad, etc., so if the ride addresses you in some way it's because you're supposed to be seeing it through your main character's eyes.

But yeah, when it turns into something like the new Tiana ride, where we, the riders, are asked to go find the band, it really feels pretty silly at that point, given we're not, y'know...doing anything. Even ones where they're telling us we're on our way somewhere (e.g. Frozen Ever After) strike me as odd; the ride is now projecting an active purpose onto my decision to go on it, rather than working around the fact that, again, I'm just some tourist who's here to experience stuff, not someone who knows the main characters or has some kind of invitation to meet them. I'm trying to recall which Universal rides I was on that gave me that same feeling; might've been something like implying we had anything to do with stuff working out at the Gringott's ride? I can definitely believe that Universal's guilty of the same stuff (or more of it!), but I only had a day there about five years ago, so I'm probably just not remembering well.

Fox&Hound

Hasn't it been suggested that the ride is no longer a water ride? Was the river just a part of the concept art when it was a water-based attraction?

Nickm2022

Hasn't it been suggested that the ride is no longer a water ride? Was the river just a part of the concept art when it was a water-based attraction?
The river outside the house I believe was just for show. The ride has been rumored as multiple different ride systems (omnimover, trackless, and boat) so not sure which one they will go with, but either way the river outside was separate from the attraction anyway. They could still have the river outside the house, but it's not in the new concept art at least from what we can see. Maybe it's just the wrong angle.

I also would be surprised if Encanto is a boat ride, especially when considering how many boat rides are already rumored.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
The river outside the house I believe was just for show. The ride has been rumored as multiple different ride systems (omnimover, trackless, and boat) so not sure which one they will go with, but either way the river outside was separate from the attraction anyway. They could still have the river outside the house, but it's not in the new concept art at least from what we can see. Maybe it's just the wrong angle.

I also would be surprised if Encanto is a boat ride, especially when considering how many boat rides are already rumored.
It is possible it's still there, just the angle. The art could be from right here:
1000000915.jpg

1000000913.png

cjkeating

It is possible it's still there, just the angle. The art could be from right here:
View attachment 792617
View attachment 792618
I think the art is taken closer to the bottom left hand of the picture. You can see some similar structures which appear to be the entrance into the show building.

In reality you have to assume a bright pink river is a) a lot of artistic license and b) highly impractical from a safety perspective this close to guests, it would all need fencing off etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom