News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Professortango1

Credibility destroyed
Just felt the tighter focus on the ghost story and not the show as well as the new pacing of the script to be an upgrade. The 5th Dimension Room has always felt like a good idea poorly executed in WDW. And there are quite a few slow or dead spots in the original due to the ride system. I also LOVE how we start and stop with the same Bell Hop in the 2.0 versions. It makes the ride feel more uncanny and like a horror story.

But all of these things I find small detractions from the original version become plusses when changing the ride from a horror-based ride to an action-based ride. 5th Dimension and ending in the storage room ending allow two spots for AA's and practical effects that DCA's Tower doesn't allow. As well as fitting the parks better which I don't think anyone can argue against.

999th Happy Haunt

Just felt the tighter focus on the ghost story and not the show as well as the new pacing of the script to be an upgrade. The 5th Dimension Room has always felt like a good idea poorly executed in WDW. And there are quite a few slow or dead spots in the original due to the ride system. I also LOVE how we start and stop with the same Bell Hop in the 2.0 versions. It makes the ride feel more uncanny and like a horror story.

But all of these things I find small detractions from the original version become plusses when changing the ride from a horror-based ride to an action-based ride. 5th Dimension and ending in the storage room ending allow two spots for AA's and practical effects that DCA's Tower doesn't allow. As well as fitting the parks better which I don't think anyone can argue against.
Agree to disagree. The 5th dimension is the absolute climax of the ride’s tension and it feels like the whole of the Florida ToT is based around that concept, an elevator that’s able to do things it shouldn’t. California’s may have been the tighter ghost story, but it was never a great Twilight Zone attraction like Florida’s, whether that’s because of the inferior narration or lack of 5D.

As for fit, California Adventure is barely about California anymore, and besides that Guardians is part of Avengers Campus now so it fits the land it’s part of at least. A Florida retheme would put it right on Sunset 🤮

Bocabear

Agree to disagree. The 5th dimension is the absolute climax of the ride’s tension and it feels like the whole of the Florida ToT is based around that concept, an elevator that’s able to do things it shouldn’t. California’s may have been the tighter ghost story, but it was never a great Twilight Zone attraction like Florida’s, whether that’s because of the inferior narration or lack of 5D.

As for fit, California Adventure is barely about California anymore, and besides that Guardians is part of Avengers Campus now so it fits the land it’s part of at least. A Florida retheme would put it right on Sunset 🤮
The Florida version is truly the perfect fot for it's location and for the park itself...Could not be a better placement or attraction for that park... It should have already achieved Classic Masterpiece status...never to be messsed with.

Professortango1

Misspelled superior narration. And while the mirror effect isn't phenomenal, I did it more successful than the 5D. And the awkward moment when the car needs to settle into the drop shaft. The 2.0 models still achieve the elevator moving laterally and it works as a perfect bookend with the Bell Hop.

And DCA is still very much California centric. They even added lines to Mission BO to set the attraction in California.

I do love the ambition, facade, queue, and the opening starfield effect much better in Florida though. But whenever we ride it, we laugh at how clunky the ride is in comparison. Definitely a different era of Disney.

Haymarket2008

Misspelled superior narration. And while the mirror effect isn't phenomenal, I did it more successful than the 5D. And the awkward moment when the car needs to settle into the drop shaft. The 2.0 models still achieve the elevator moving laterally and it works as a perfect bookend with the Bell Hop.

And DCA is still very much California centric. They even added lines to Mission BO to set the attraction in California.

I do love the ambition, facade, queue, and the opening starfield effect much better in Florida though. But whenever we ride it, we laugh at how clunky the ride is in comparison. Definitely a different era of Disney.

You may be the first person I have ever heard of to say DCA’s Tower was better than DHS.

I personally could not disagree more, but to each their own!

Professortango1

You may be the first person I have ever heard of to say DCA’s Tower was better than DHS.

It's probably an East Coast vs West Coast thing. It's still a minority opinion, but I know quite a few folks even on this site who prefer the updated version.

In the Parks
No
It's probably an East Coast vs West Coast thing. It's still a minority opinion, but I know quite a few folks even on this site who prefer the updated version.
We agree on a lot, but not on this, Prof. Apologies to the mods on how off-topic this is, but I must address this.

The lateral elevator movement works better in DHS because it's a reveal. We don't know just how "uncommon" the elevator is until right before the climax of the ride. Like a good Twilight Zone episode, things gradually go off the rails (in this case, literally!). It starts out normal (aside from the seatbelts, haha), then we see some strange things at the first stop. Next stop, and empty corridor...that we start MOVING FORWARD INTO! An elevator is definitely not supposed to do that! Once you get to that starfield and the lit-up doors opening, you don't know what's ahead but you know it's terrifying and pitch dark (and humid, haha!). And you get that iconic line that was absent from DCA: "You are about to discover what lies BEYOND the fifth dimension. Beyond the deepest, darkest corner of the imagination...in the Tower of Terror." [I get chills even writing this]

At DCA, the efficiency was the driving force of the entire thing, at the expense of the storyline. For example, every time Rod Serling said "You are passengers on a most uncommon elevator..." I wanted to respond by saying, "Yeah, you think? We're going backwards!"

Plus "Wave goodbye..." is such a dumb line.

I could talk about this all night, ToT in DHS is the best attraction ever made, hands down.

Anyway, back to Encanto and Indiana Jones...oh well, I guess there's no news.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Agreed. Sometimes we fixate on cost a bit more than we should. They can obviously afford it. Guardians is probably my family’s favorite WDW addition from the last 5 years and they’ve opened quite a few rides in that interval.
It’s not like Universal doesn’t have colossal budgets like that now either.

People don’t realize what go into these attractions.

Henry Mystic

I agree if the comparison is DCA’s old version and HWS, but Paris’ new updated Tower of Terror is SO good.

It’s by far my favorite Tower now, but obviously the placemaking of Tot in Orlando is the most impressive.

Henry Mystic

I think we had Blondie's One Way Or Another....Which I liked the best of the songs I have heard on it...
That was my first song and I absolutely love the vibes it gives, but Everybody Wants to Rule the World while going around the moon is something else! Still definitely my #2!

Edit: Just realized I triple posted my bad 😂

Last edited:

Incomudro

We agree on a lot, but not on this, Prof. Apologies to the mods on how off-topic this is, but I must address this.

The lateral elevator movement works better in DHS because it's a reveal. We don't know just how "uncommon" the elevator is until right before the climax of the ride. Like a good Twilight Zone episode, things gradually go off the rails (in this case, literally!). It starts out normal (aside from the seatbelts, haha), then we see some strange things at the first stop. Next stop, and empty corridor...that we start MOVING FORWARD INTO! An elevator is definitely not supposed to do that! Once you get to that starfield and the lit-up doors opening, you don't know what's ahead but you know it's terrifying and pitch dark (and humid, haha!). And you get that iconic line that was absent from DCA: "You are about to discover what lies BEYOND the fifth dimension. Beyond the deepest, darkest corner of the imagination...in the Tower of Terror." [I get chills even writing this]

At DCA, the efficiency was the driving force of the entire thing, at the expense of the storyline. For example, every time Rod Serling said "You are passengers on a most uncommon elevator..." I wanted to respond by saying, "Yeah, you think? We're going backwards!"

I could talk about this all night, ToT in DHS is the best attraction ever made, hands down.

That moving forward of the elevator blew my mind when I first experienced it!
I got chills reading your post.
Every step of that ride is amazing.

Bocabear

Maybe they need to update the 5th dimension room...make it look less like displauy windows and a little more immersive...that would be the only tweak I could think of... That and actually build a Tip Top Club with a seperate elevator and entrance...Themed to night time in the old Art Deco Ballroom on the top of the tower.... It would be a collosal hit with guests, and thematically blow all of the others out of the water. The same muisic as the Queue, occasional thunderstorms passing and power loss...Create a secondary events ballroom at the same time..again if done well would be another hit for corporate events and parties...

The Leader of the Club

LOL we got wildly off track! So, yeah, Encanto and Indiana Jones.... I am hoping that by now they have progressed the designs from the Blue Sky phase and will be showing some stuff off at D23... Can only hope they knock it out of the park this time....
I’m thinking we’ll for sure see a model on the convention floor. Probably get attraction names, synopses, concept art, and an opening year during the panel. Maybe a confirmation of animal exhibits or Meet & Greets coming to the land. The DPB will probably reveal the closing date for Dinoland/Dinosaur.

Rich Brownn

WDW's had one big theme advantage over Cali - when the elevator doors open it reveals an elevator. In Cali the elevator door open to reveal .... a hallway with another set of doors ! And the thing about the 5th dimension - you're actually supposed to be on your back, traveling up to the sky (the stars). Next time look at the lamps and signage on the sides and you'll see they are sideways. I once road with an imagineer who explained this and said an effect was never added because of time and budget that would have shown the building twisting.

Nickm2022

I’m thinking we’ll for sure see a model on the convention floor. Probably get attraction names, synopses, concept art, and an opening year during the panel. Maybe a confirmation of animal exhibits or Meet & Greets coming to the land. The DPB will probably reveal the closing date for Dinoland/Dinosaur.
I agree. I also think the model and the new concept art will differ a tad from the old blue sky one we currently have. If you look at the leaked concept art that stuff already has minor differences so I am curious to see what they change.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
I agree. I also think the model and the new concept art will differ a tad from the old blue sky one we currently have. If you look at the leaked concept art that stuff already has minor differences so I am curious to see what they change.
I don't recall seeing the river around the Encanto house in the leaked concept art so that's at least one difference from what I can tell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom