News Test Track to be reimagined

SpectroMagician

Test Track is a popular and successful attraction. It’s getting a refresh on GM’s dime to set it up for the next decade. There’s not an option here where Test Track is replaced entirely or GM sponsors an additional new build attraction.
That's not what I was saying at all. I don't want it replaced. GM paying for it is great. I want Disney to invest their own money into new things! The main issue is everything Disney has come out with in the past 5+ years has been utter trash so even when they do spend the money the output stinks.

DreamfinderGuy

I have to be honest. I don't get the canopy hate. Now, I never got to experience World of Motion, so maybe there is an attachment to the building architecture that I don't have. (It's fun to be cylindrical?) But I fail to see how removing a giant shade structure in Hell's sauna is an improvement.
It's ugly and blocks the view of the building. It was only installed to serve as shade for the Test Track preview area and a structure to mount the giant preview mural on, then was retained as a relatively last minute decision. It was upsetting enough seeing it retained through TT 2.0, giving it a 25+ year life for something that was only supposed to be up for a year. The new canopy we're getting is a purpose built structure, isn't as invasive to the sightlines, and compliments the building's architecture. It's still a shade structure either way, which is a win.

WoM didn't need a shade structure because its queue was entirely inside the building, even if the alcove itself was outdoors. The roof was the shade structure. Test Track on the other hand regularly spills people outside the building, so it benefits from having one. Just thankful it's now one they're putting effort into.

JoeCamel

It's ugly and blocks the view of the building. It was only installed to serve as shade for the Test Track preview area and a structure to mount the giant preview mural on, then was retained as a relatively last minute decision. It was upsetting enough seeing it retained through TT 2.0, giving it a 25+ year life for something that was only supposed to be up for a year. The new canopy we're getting is a purpose built structure, isn't as invasive to the sightlines, and compliments the building's architecture. It's still a shade structure either way, which is a win.

WoM didn't need a shade structure because its queue was entirely inside the building, even if the alcove itself was outdoors. The roof was the shade structure. Test Track on the other hand regularly spills people outside the building, so it benefits from having one. Just thankful it's now one they're putting effort into.
MY burning question is "was the "new" GM headquarters building designed with a nod to the WoM building?" Circles are expensive to build

gm.jpg

lazyboy97o

So what do you think? Did one inspire the other?
No. GM wasn’t involved in the design and construction of the Renaissance Tower. The central circular tower is also one of a few circular hotel towers designed by John Portman in the 70s, others being the Westin Peachtree Plaza in Atlanta and the Westin Bonaventure in Los Angeles.

The transportation pavilion was designed as a circle to represent the wheel.

JoeCamel

No. GM wasn’t involved in the design and construction of the Renaissance Tower. The central circular tower is also one of a few circular hotel towers designed by John Portman in the 70s, others being the Westin Peachtree Plaza in Atlanta and the Westin Bonaventure in Los Angeles.

The transportation pavilion was designed as a circle to represent the wheel.
Thanks for expanding on this

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom