News Walt Disney World to eliminate self-service paper straws and plastic lids

Royal Purple Pigment

I’m opining (as one is supposed to do in a forum), not dictating.

Moreover, I didn’t interpret @Royal Purple Pigment to be saying that all that plastic was needed. Quite the opposite.
The plastic at the Contempo was over the top for sure. It just highlights to me that the straws are little more than a public relations move. It's like stocking up on toilet paper for the pandemic or buying every case of water before a hurricane. It makes us feel like we are doing something.

LittleBuford

The plastic at the Contempo was over the top for sure. It just highlights to me that the straws are little more than a public relations move. It's like stocking up on toilet paper for the pandemic or buying every case of water before a hurricane. It makes us feel like we are doing something.
I agree that Disney’s straw ban is above all a public-relations (and cost-cutting) move, but I still think reducing the use of straws achieves something positive.

Tha Realest

I’m opining (as one is supposed to do in a forum), not dictating.

Moreover, I didn’t interpret @Royal Purple Pigment to be saying that all that plastic was needed. Quite the opposite.
You said it was all needless. I can point to a number of reasons why the plastic coverings may be needed:

keep the food warm
Prevent cross contamination (especially if there are food allergies)
Helps with stacking containers

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainsOfDisney

You think they should continue serving things needlessly in multiple plates, each with its own plastic dome? Why?
Typically when you place a mobile order at any restaurant it comes packaged with a lid to keep the food the proper temperature.

I guess they could add a “to go” or “for here” option in the app?

WorldExplorer

Typically when you place a mobile order at any restaurant it comes packaged with a lid to keep the food the proper temperature.

I guess they could add a “to go” or “for here” option in the app?

They have a choose to go option built into the app. It just doesn't show up for Contempo (or others. Nothing for Capt. Cook's, but it's there for Gasprilla) for some reason.

MagicHappens1971

They have a choose to go option built into the app. It just doesn't show up for Contempo (or others. Nothing for Capt. Cook's, but it's there for Gasprilla) for some reason.
Capt. Cooks was really bad for waste like this post Covid. Up until ~September(ish) of last year they were still mobile order only, and every single item was packaged to go and placed in a huge to go bag.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom