News Walt Disney World to eliminate self-service paper straws and plastic lids

TrainsOfDisney

I really hate whataboutism... Just because other things are bad for the environment and are not currently getting changed doesn't mean we shouldn't try to change anything for the better. One step at a time. You see this all the time in politics.
Eh…. I get it. But it’s also true. Aluminum bottles would make a much bigger impact on property. But that would cost Disney money vs. saving. So it’s a point to make.

LittleBuford

You will notice I'm not the one who brought up the insects. I'm a mother of 3 and have had to carry a tray of drinks many times.
I was following the trail of responses. You replied to me in the context of a discussion about lids protecting drinks from insects.

I have already acknowledged that the cups they currently use aren’t good for carrying.

John park hopper

I really hate whataboutism... Just because other things are bad for the environment and are not currently getting changed doesn't mean we shouldn't try to change anything for the better. One step at a time. You see this all the time in politics.
The cartoon just points out how insignificant Disney's lid and straw policy is and it's nothing more than a PR stunt tied to reducing their cost.

Disstevefan1

Especially when this has nothing to do with the environment, is all ABOUT MONEY!
TWDC wants to make folks think its about the environment.

MagicHappens1971

It’s basically just corporate greenwashing. Also I’ve mentioned it a gazillion times on here, Disney has not offered lids (buy & large) for drinks (in the parks) in quite a few years.

There was a few spots that may have had lids but 99.8% of F&B locations across property have not offered lids in eons.

Disstevefan1

It’s basically just corporate greenwashing. Also I’ve mentioned it a gazillion times on here, Disney has not offered lids (buy & large) for drinks (in the parks) in quite a few years.

There was a few spots that may have had lids but 99.8% of F&B locations across property have not offered lids in eons.
Totally agree with the greenwashing, but they haven't offered lids in eons?
Almost sure there was lids in 2019 when I was last there, does that count as eons?

MagicHappens1971

Totally agree with the greenwashing, but they haven't offered lids in eons?
Almost sure there was lids in 2019 when I was last there, does that count as eons?
I guess I was being dramatic, I think it’s been since ~2018 when it really started, and then as locations started running out they stopped ordering.

LittleBuford

So then why did they start? 🤔
I should think because lids do make things more convenient.

Believe it or not, even those of us who aren’t opposed to getting rid of lids (and straws, single-use plastic bags, etc.) recognise what they offer. As policies and laws around the world change, I have had to make adjustments that render certain everyday situations less easy than they used to be (e.g., having to take shopping bags with me rather than just grabbing one when paying for my items). These are shifts that are going to happen whether I like them or not; I accept them for environmental reasons but also because I recognise their inevitability.

Regarding lids specifically, I do think there are times when not having them can prove not just inconvenient, but even dangerous (when carrying a hot drink, for example). I hope we move towards non-plastic / biodegradable alternatives for such situations.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I should think because lids do make things more convenient.

Believe it or not, even those of us who aren’t opposed to getting rid of lids (and straws, single-use plastic bags, etc.) recognise what they offer. As policies and laws around the world change, I have had to make adjustments that render certain everyday situations less easy than they used to be (e.g., having to take shopping bags with me rather than just grabbing one when paying for my items). These are shifts that are going to happen whether I like them or not; I accept them for environmental reasons but also because I recognise their inevitability.

Regarding lids specifically, I do think there are times when not having them can prove not just inconvenient, but even dangerous (when carrying a hot drink, for example). I hope we move towards non-plastic / biodegradable alternatives for such situations.
And the sad truth is, for TWDC this is all about saving MONEY.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why for all these years haven't guys drinking beer and mixed drinks from cups with lids and straws? Isn't it an issue to carry a beer flight without a lid? Don't bugs (especially bees) head for cups of beer?
Because people don’t generally drink beer out of tall thin wax paper cups! They are served in plastic cups that hold 16 oz or less

Beers are also not sugary and don’t attract insects the same as soda

LittleBuford

Why for all these years haven't guys drinking beer and mixed drinks from cups with lids and straws? Isn't it an issue to carry a beer flight without a lid? Don't bugs (especially bees) head for cups of beer?
I think these questions highlight just how much of what we do is based on convention. People don’t associate alcoholic drinks with lids and so don’t expect them to be served with any, even though they’re susceptible to the very same risks as soft drinks (spillage, insects, rain, etc.).

Disstevefan1

Oh, hi. Could you just please pour my wine order into this tumbler? Thanks!
View attachment 744314
No, no - THIS -
1695388056492.png

This whole thing is about saving Disney money while at the same time making folks buy merch.

LittleBuford

I think it’s really adorable that the biggest purveyor of plastic junk that also induces tens of thousands a week to travel to its vacation destination via commercial jets has convinced some of you that their naked cost-saving measure is being done in the name of science and the environment.
I don’t think a single person here has denied that Disney’s motivation is financial. That doesn’t prevent the result from having environmental benefits also.

LittleBuford

I recently placed a mobile order at the Contempo Cafe in the Contemporary. Every item was put on its own plate (fries, sandwich,etc.) And each plate came with a giant plastic dome. Every customer order was like that. Each entree probably had 25 plastic straws worth of plastic in it. Seems so weird.
They definitely need to fix that.

At Disneyland Paris this summer, things were being served in reusable thick plastic plates and cups. Nothing glamorous, but it did the trick.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom