News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Fifty years with the company and is still making mistakes....
The first 20 years “with the company” were actually negotiating residuals with the casts of Benson and Roseanne

I wonder what his next 50 years with the company will look like since he doesn’t want to leave
We better start begging him to stay, huh?

Disstevefan1

You just described human beings.
IgerHire.jpg

Lilofan

True, only politicians, private owners, and C-Suit members of every large company to ever exist.
The first group you mentioned have the " you help me I help you " relationship with select companies. That has been going on for many many decades.

Last edited:

BrianLo

I’m a bit confused what the market is doing here and think it might be fully external. All the other media companies seem to be heading down including Comcast.

What the market clearly doesn’t care about is the studios. We’ve now seen that for sure.

And no I don’t subscribe to probably the running theory that the Florida parks are the center of the universe and how the stock price is determined. It has been very detached from the parks segment as well the last half decade.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’m a bit confused what the market is doing here and think it might be fully external. All the other media companies seem to be heading down including Comcast.

What the market clearly doesn’t care about is the studios. We’ve now seen that for sure.

And no I don’t subscribe to probably the running theory that the Florida parks are the center of the universe and how the stock price is determined. It has been very detached from the parks segment as well the last half decade.
Billion dollar box office.

Sell!!

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member

Is Comcast a media company or a communications company?

Where is Disney actually heading?

DTC Profitability...yeah maybe some meager profitability at best?
Disney Experiences...with the exception of DCL, not doing so hot right now.
Studios...Failing spectacularly.
Linear TV...dying a slow death.
New CEO...nothing...Bob4eva?

BrianLo

Nothing has internally changed in the company since the poor Q3 guidance to meaningfully explain the more recent drops. The only thing that has actually happened is an unexpected theatrical smash. So no, the studios definitely are not what’s to blame.

They dabble. Comcast is probably getting dragged by the triple punch of declining linear, cable subscribers and broadband subscribers. At least Disney you are correct is not in the latter two arenas

There’s really nothing preventing the company from having Netflix margins. The pricing just needs to work its way there. They have a robust subscriber pool and are more lean in content. This doesn’t mean as big as Netflix, but same margins.

Agreed, but I don’t think these having meaningfully changed in the last few months from expectations.

That’s why I’m siding on this is externalized market downtrends.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

• Still profitable, only, less profit year over year. But, yes. It will eventually be a niche market and not much of a source of income. And because it's dying, Disney needs DTC...

• As long as it's not in the red. As cord cutters cut, Netflix and D+bundle are the top competitors for those cord cutters to transition to streaming. CBS's and NBC's streamers are where D+ was a year ago with half a billion dollar loss each quarter. Iger's stated goal is to emulate Netflix in popularity and profit.

• The parks are doing very well. Hong Kong just had a huge quarter and paid off its debts. The parks generate billions in profit still.

• Failed. This year, Disney movies are doing well. IO2 just hit a billion at the B.O. Deadpool will probably also break a billion. As well as Moana 2. As much as a certain portion of the Star Wars fandom is pulling out their hair, the Star Wars series still get big views. And there's always Disney's golden goose... Bluey.

• Yeah. I'm sure investors want to know there won't be a Chapek II.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Media is a bad bet. One in particular has been the worst.

Not too hard do follow

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I feel like this is code for you assuming Dis is the worst, but are you referring to Paramount or WB here?

Fox and Comcast as somewhat equivocal with Dis. Sony is the best (albeit dabbles in Media).
As far as “potential”…Disney is by far the best.

But I think it’s become fashionable around here to call investors stupid for doubting it?

Maybe they see what fans cannot: the changes in the media and consumer environment…coupled with downright management mistakes/fails…has put their traditional stability at risk.

We have lived in a world where they are assumed invulnerable. Rome was at a time as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom