News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Linear TV...dying a slow death.
  • Still profitable, only, less profit year over year. But, yes. It will eventually be a niche market and not much of a source of income. And because it's dying, Disney needs DTC...
ESPN
DTC Profitability...yeah maybe some meager profitability at best?
  • As long as it's not in the red. As cord cutters cut, Netflix and D+bundle are the top competitors for those cord cutters to transition to streaming. CBS's and NBC's streamers are where D+ was a year ago with half a billion dollar loss each quarter. Iger's stated goal is to emulate Netflix in popularity and profit.
After the billions they sunk into it, breaking even or meager profits don't sound too exciting.
Disney Experiences...with the exception of DCL, not doing so hot right now.
  • The parks are doing very well. Hong Kong just had a huge quarter and paid off its debts. The parks generate billions in profit still.
How much of the Chinese parks do the Chicoms own? Answer: More than Disney.

The domestic parks generate massive amounts of revenue and are the engine that sustains the company. So what do they do? Drive consumer sentiment down trying to squeeze as much from the guests as possible and also getting involved in spicey issues.
Studios...Failing spectacularly.
  • Failed. This year, Disney movies are doing well. IO2 just hit a billion at the B.O. Deadpool will probably also break a billion. As well as Moana 2. As much as a certain portion of the Star Wars fandom is pulling out their hair, the Star Wars series still get big views. And there's always Disney's golden goose... Bluey.
Sadly you're referring to the exceptions.
Shall we look at the upcoming slate of Marvel and Star Wars disasters?

The Acolyte has lower views than Ashoka which was previously the lowest viewed Live Action Star Wars Series ever on D+. So some context to your statement is needed.

And Bluey, Disney's golden goose that they only license and don't own, and through a stroke of genius don't own the theme park rights to.
New CEO...nothing...Bob4eva?
  • Yeah. I'm sure investors want to know there won't be a Chapek II.
$DIS is at about the same level as it was when Bob came back in November 22. The only thing that happened to drive the stock up under Bob's second term was Mr. Nelson Peltz. Now that he's gone, we're back to the basement. Bravo!

Dranth

Makes lots of money still and will for the foreseeable future. They can shut it down once it doesn't or sell it off so I am not sure what your point is here.

After the billions they sunk into it, breaking even or meager profits don't sound too exciting.
Good, because it will do more than break even. It doesn't have to reach linear at it's prime to be successful.

How much of the Chinese parks do the Chicoms own? Answer: More than Disney.
Just under 50% for each. What is your point? Shanghai makes good money and if you want to blame someone for Hong Kong you should blame Eisner. Either way, they still make money off of them.

The domestic parks generate massive amounts of revenue and are the engine that sustains the company.
Yep.

So what do they do? Drive consumer sentiment down trying to squeeze as much from the guests as possible and also getting involved in spicey issues.
Squeezing the guests is a problem, the rest is an unfortunate side effect of whiny people these days not able to handle anything but their own point of view without dissolving into hysterics.

Sadly you're referring to the exceptions.
Shall we look at the upcoming slate of Marvel and Star Wars disasters?

The Acolyte has lower views than Ashoka which was previously the lowest viewed Live Action Star Wars Series ever on D+. So some context to your statement is needed.

And Bluey, Disney's golden goose that they only license and don't own, and through a stroke of genius don't own the theme park rights to.
So basically you are saying "only look at the data points that I think prove the point I am trying to make while ignoring the rest".

Also, who cares about the theme park rights for Bluey? They already have the 5-7 year old segment pretty well covered on the parks side so they should chase a fad for more than just streaming? That sounds like a waste of money.

$DIS is at about the same level as it was when Bob came back in November 22. The only thing that happened to drive the stock up under Bob's second term was Mr. Nelson Peltz. Now that he's gone, we're back to the basement. Bravo!
So are the rest of the other entertainment companies. Ever last one of them has severely underperformed since Iger's return.

Look, plenty of us are sick of Iger and his treatment of the parks and that HAS to change this year, but if you think he hasn't been doing well in the other areas you are blind to the reality of what is going on in the entertainment industry.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Makes lots of money still and will for the foreseeable future. They can shut it down once it doesn't or sell it off so I am not sure what your point is here.

Good, because it will do more than break even. It doesn't have to reach linear at it's prime to be successful.

Just under 50% for each. What is your point? Shanghai makes good money and if you want to blame someone for Hong Kong you should blame Eisner. Either way, they still make money off of them.

Yep.

Squeezing the guests is a problem, the rest is an unfortunate side effect of whiny people these days not able to handle anything but their own point of view without dissolving into hysterics.

So basically you are saying "only look at the data points that I think prove the point I am trying to make while ignoring the rest".

Also, who cares about the theme park rights for Bluey? They already have the 5-7 year old segment pretty well covered on the parks side so they should chase a fad for more than just streaming? That sounds like a waste of money.

So are the rest of the other entertainment companies. Ever last one of them has severely underperformed since Iger's return.

Look, plenty of us our sick of Iger and his treatment of the parks and that HAS to change this year, but if you think he hasn't been doing well in the other areas you are blind to the reality of what is going on in the entertainment industry.
Disney and China both have relationships with each other like many worldwide companies. Look at where our Disney merchandise comes from and non Disney ( 75% of our meds ) comes from the same country.

monothingie

Premium Member
It makes so much money that they want to unload it, break it up, or partner with someone else to absorb the costs.
Uh huh.
Chicoms have a majority interest in both parks. China does not allow international companies to be majority owners of anything.
Good we agree.
The guests are wrong. They should like what we tell them to like. Got it!
You seem to excel at doing that. Just sayin…
Cope to the max.
Netflix. The company Bob wants his to be like.
Look, plenty of us are sick of Iger and his treatment of the parks and that HAS to change this year, but if you think he hasn't been doing well in the other areas you are blind to the reality of what is going on in the entertainment industry.
You think Bob is just going to walk away? His consultant contract keeps him in the c suite until at earliest 2032z

flynnibus

Premium Member
It doesn't have to reach linear at it's prime to be successful.
Well... as one of the largest media companies, who rely significantly on that money, to have to tell the market "hey, TV doesn't make as much money anymore.. be happy we got this much.." is gonna kill them. No - they need to make more money than linear, or acknowledge that the market valuation is shrinking. And if others don't agree, they are gonna get roasted about it.

Right now they are still in a transition... but if DTC doesn't overtake old linear or distribution, they are going to rightfully be scrutinized to say why did you go DTC if it's not the growth path?

Tha Realest

Well... as one of the largest media companies, who rely significantly on that money, to have to tell the market "hey, TV doesn't make as much money anymore.. be happy we got this much.." is gonna kill them. No - they need to make more money than linear, or acknowledge that the market valuation is shrinking. And if others don't agree, they are gonna get roasted about it.

Right now they are still in a transition... but if DTC doesn't overtake old linear or distribution, they are going to rightfully be scrutinized to say why did you go DTC if it's not the growth path?
Yep. Netflix is their closest competitor and is worth $100 billion more and it’s just streaming - without all the ancillary businesses Disney has propping it up (studios, parks, resorts, cruise line, merchandise).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is Comcast a media company or a communications company?
As crappy as they are…they expertly pivoted to the one product that is not going away soon without their hand in it:

High speed. In 10 years they flipped their lion share from bloated cable to routers

Bob rode his linear into the ground. Entering the steam market in 2019 wasn’t ballsy at all. More like a joke.

Besides…Comcast is carrying he signal anyway

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

They were making as much off just espn 15 years ago and they are off Products (stupid name…great reorganizing 🙄) now adjusted that’s estimated at 70%

That’s one hell of void to fill

JoeCamel

As crappy as they are…they expertly pivoted to the one product that is not going away soon without their hand in it:

High speed. In 10 years they flipped their lion share from bloated cable to routers

Bob rode his linear into the ground. Entering the steam market in 2019 wasn’t ballsy at all. More like a joke.

Besides…Comcast is carrying he signal anyway
Funny, I gave Xfinity/Comcast the boot today, better options now and it ain't fiber

Lilofan

Is Comcast a media company or a communications company?

Where is Disney actually heading?

Studios...Failing spectacularly.
Linear TV...dying a slow death.
New CEO...nothing...Bob4eva?
Comcast which owns Universal is one of the most hated companies on the planet.

Dranth

Agreed to a point. DTC can't flop or underperform significantly vs. linear but I don't think it needs to match it anytime soon, just be heading in the right direction and get in the ball park

Dranth

It makes so much money that they want to unload it, break it up, or partner with someone else to absorb the costs.
Sports made 17 billion dollars in revenue last year with 2.5 billion in profit for Disney. Getting more eyeballs on your events through partnerships and cutting into costs is exactly the type of thing any good CEO should be doing. Also, bringing it DTC should make a difference.

Chicoms have a majority interest in both parks. China does not allow international companies to be majority owners of anything.
Yes, Disney owns less than 50%. Something like 46% in one and 48% in the other park though I don't remember which is which.

The guests are wrong. They should like what we tell them to like. Got it!
No, the point is that they can't do anything without some narrative getting pushed that they are out to get or drive away one group or the other. The problem is it is just that, a narrative. They don't want to push anyone away. Money is money.

Cope to the max.
Go ahead and explain how Bluey theme park rights is going to make a meaningful difference to park attendance.

Netflix. The company Bob wants his to be like.
Yes, the exception. If they hit Netflix levels DTC will have actually made linear levels so it is exactly the target they should be aiming for.

Now look at every other major studio. Comcast, Sony, Paramount, Warner are all underperforming the market over that time frame by a good size margin.

Does that not suggest to you there is a larger problem with the segment as a whole?

You think Bob is just going to walk away? His consultant contract keeps him in the c suite until at earliest 2032z
70% chance he is no longer the CEO at the end of his contract in 2026. 100% chance he is gone by 2028.

monothingie

Premium Member
He did once already.

It's not like he never left before.
He technically never left as his contract had him continue on as a special consultant to the company for a period of 6 years after departure from the company.

Chapek never actually got to take his office.

BTW that clock reset when or if he leaves again.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
He technically never left as his contract had him continue on as a special consultant to the company for a period of 6 years after departure from the company.

I mean…are we still even debating that “retirement” was nothing more than an egotistical hoax?

Dust is powerful stuff.

But the beauty of it is his ego wrote a check his body can’t cash. All he’s done is slash spending as all the divisions have limped along. His clout is gone.

It’s brilliant. Come up ins at its finest.

Robbiem

ar TV...dying a slow death.
  • Still profitable, only, less profit year over year. But, yes. It will eventually be a niche market and not much of a source of income. And because it's dying, Disney needs DTC...

• As long as it's not in the red. As cord cutters cut, Netflix and D+bundle are the top competitors for those cord cutters to transition to streaming. CBS's and NBC's streamers are where D+ was a year ago with half a billion dollar loss each quarter. Iger's stated goal is to emulate Netflix in popularity and profit.

• The parks are doing very well. Hong Kong just had a huge quarter and paid off its debts. The parks generate billions in profit still.

do the new management have to have Bob I as a ‘consultant’. Could they pull the same trick he did with George Lucas and give him the hard shoulder? I don’t know why anyone would accept the Chapek model with him looking over your shoulder picking all the time

lentesta

Premium Member
I'm trying to measure Disney's domestic park CapEx from 1981 to today, to see how much each CEO invested in those parks. I've downloaded all of the company's annual reports since 1981 (Dropbox link).

Here's what I've got so far. I'd appreciate it if folks could take a look and let me know where I'm off.

Screenshot 2024-07-03 at 12.55.32 PM.png

A couple of things:
  • I'm missing the 1986 and 1990 annual reports. But the 1987 and 1991 reports show YoY numbers.
  • It looks like Disney didn't break out international park CapEx until 2004?
  • This time period includes the building of Disney-MGM, Animal Kingdom, and DCA version 1.0 and 2.0.
  • I'm using the Bureau of Labor Statistics' CPI calculator for inflation, comparing January of each year.

JoeCamel

I'm trying to measure Disney's domestic park CapEx from 1981 to today, to see how much each CEO invested in those parks. I've downloaded all of the company's annual reports since 1981 (Dropbox link).

Here's what I've got so far. I'd appreciate it if folks could take a look and let me know where I'm off.

View attachment 796444

A couple of things:
  • I'm missing the 1986 and 1990 annual reports. But the 1987 and 1991 reports show YoY numbers.
  • It looks like Disney didn't break out international park CapEx until 2004?
  • This time period includes the building of Disney-MGM, Animal Kingdom, and DCA version 1.0 and 2.0.
  • I'm using the Bureau of Labor Statistics' CPI calculator for inflation, comparing January of each year.
@ParentsOf4 are you in possession of such info?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom