News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Dranth

That level might fall more on Jeff Vahle, would it not? Especially dining.

But ya fair enough, in a microcosm there are more minor decisions that will add up to his final judgement.
If Disney is anything like every other corporation out there the final decision on what gets cut is likely at the lower levels, the total dollar value of the cuts needed however was from on high. My guess is that would be all Iger.

I am willing to give Josh a pass for the moment but am losing patience with him.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Bad things happen at WDW when Josh is over WDW and then Parks as a whole: That’s Chapek’s fault.

Bad things continue to happen at WDW: That’s on Vahle.

No, I’m not trying to not blame anyone but him on either side. More just that the big level decisions that he’d actually make are played out on a 5-7 year timeframe.

The major project lull are related to Chapek’s outgoing time in the role. Almost everything we are still dealing with are things approved or cancelled by Chapek formerly in the role. So if this D23 meaningfully is not delivering, I’m happily placing that at the feet of Josh.

And this is more than just WDW. My eyes are on the portfolio and cruising and the final judgement I think is about to be written.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

He’s to blame too - and I was referring to cuts in California as well - Ken Potrock over there.

Is it Ken to blame for no shows in Hyperion, Golden Horseshoe, and Fantasyland Theatre? Or is it Josh? Or is it Bob?

Answer is yes? Haha
Maybe they are plans to demo the Hyperion down the line for Whatever replaces Hollywoodland or an Avengers Campus 4th attraction.

Sir_Cliff

He’s to blame too - and I was referring to cuts in California as well - Ken Potrock over there.

Is it Ken to blame for no shows in Hyperion, Golden Horseshoe, and Fantasyland Theatre? Or is it Josh? Or is it Bob?

Answer is yes? Haha
This is not to absolve anyone from blame, but I will say that fans need to stop being so schizophrenic in complaining about short-term savings to bolster the quarterly numbers and then hanging on the short-term rising and falling of the share price and quarterly results to judge the performance of the CEO and other executives.

I agree with others than good management can mitigate this issue, but I think there is a structural issue in how the stock market and corporate America more generally works that encourages these kinds of knee jerk cuts in response to softer numbers. The best thing that could happen to the parks would be if they could be spun off into a private company that didn't have to worry about quarterly earnings reports and stock prices. Failing that, I'd be far more comfortable if there was a consistent line that Disney needs to hold strong and ignore rises and falls in the share price rather than jumping up and down with glee when institutional investors who really aren't our friends lose enthusiasm for the direction of the company.

TrainsOfDisney

It goes a little beyond the subject of Iger and Disney specifically- but I do think the American people in general, especially the younger generations, are increasingly disgusted by large corporations and high paid CEO’s.

I think the smartest thing to do, for all corporations, is to adapt and prepare for a major change.

If I was on the Disney board, I’d be recommending they look at alternative leading strategies and bring in a more diverse leadership group who doesn’t work under an ego-driven manager. That’s a key word, Iger is not a leader, he is a manager. There is a big difference.

lazyboy97o

The best thing that could happen to the parks would be if they could be spun off into a private company that didn't have to worry about quarterly earnings reports and stock prices.
The problem though is that this would mostly likely be done by saddling the new spun off parks company with an enormous amount of debt. The entire parks decision would then be like Euro Disney SCA during much of its history.

MR.Dis

From what I read, Iger the first let his top Division heads manage their divisions. So when Pandora, Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land all had plans that included more rides/attractions than what was built, it was Chapek that used his red pen to cut so he could come in at a lower budget. When Chapek took over as CEO, instead of Iger's management style, was a micro manager. Josh did not have the same autonomy that Chapek had. The problem is we are coming up on 2 years since Chapek was launched. Where has Josh stepped up and showed the back bone to go to Iger and insist on park improvements. Even some relatively minor ones like bringing back the street performers at Hollywood Studios. Along with a new CEO, a new Parks President is needed who will actually fight for Parks improvements---I am not holding my breath.

Lilofan

That will be anyone in that position. It's like saying a doctor moved up the food chain through med school.
Not quite so. Medical school graduate, passing boards is a requirement to be a doctor last time I checked. Moving up the food chain through promotions is different.

lazyboy97o

From what I read, Iger the first let his top Division heads manage their divisions. So when Pandora, Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land all had plans that included more rides/attractions than what was built, it was Chapek that used his red pen to cut so he could come in at a lower budget.
Budgets weren’t lowered. Program was cut to stay in budget as other aspects went over budget.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Where has Josh stepped up and showed the back bone to go to Iger and insist on park improvements.
That's not how Iger puts it. He made it clear the reason why there's so much investment in the parks, is because the parks bring back the highest rate of investment at this time compared to movies or tv.

MintCity

That's not how Iger puts it. He made it clear the reason why there's so much investment in the parks, is because the parks bring back the highest rate of investment at this time compared to movies or tv.
But it’s also where are they investing. They’re investing in hotel capacity and not park capacity. So if it feels crowded now imagine how it’s going to feel when the additional DVC resorts are built.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom