News Florida Division of Emergency Management warns against dangerously hot and humid conditions at Walt Disney World this week

Ayla

They should build a park somewhere else. Our best Disney days have been the cold ones.

Or, keep the parks open much later. Much easier than the above, and then guests can choose when to visit. I would never go during the daylight if I had a choice.
I've been there when temps were in the 40's and when temps were near 100. Neither was fun.

G00fyDad

I've been there when temps were in the 40's and when temps were near 100. Neither was fun.

Exactly. On our last trip (Oct 22) it was 90, 90, 90, 90, then 50. I promise you that such a sudden change and when you only have shorts and t-shirts can be shocking.
Shining Jack Nicholson GIF

JoeCamel

Exactly. On our last trip (Oct 22) it was 90, 90, 90, 90, then 50. I promise you that such a sudden change and when you only have shorts and t-shirts can be shocking.
Shining Jack Nicholson GIF
Walmart sells sweats, when a cold snap hits they are front and center in the store. I've bought several pair after hitting town and finding it just too cold for shorts. If you want to stay in the bubble I think you can find them for slightly more on property

seabreezept813

We’ve always had people tell us we’re crazy for going in August. But I’m a teacher so it’s always been the month we go. But summers are so hot up here in MA too that I think Disney is much preferable to a Six Flags in Ma in August. Obviously theme, but just so much more to do indoors in AC. When we arrived in Orlando last August we thought it felt cooler than MA some days.

MickeyLuv'r

I've been to FL many times in August. I choose to visit in August because I enjoy WDW in summer.

I'll grant the current temps are above normal.

We do take some summer precautions though. In no particular order:

1. We get extra water with every meal, plus also carry a good amount of water. Maybe just us, but if we only relied on water at QS, we would not drink enough. If I have water in my hand, I drink water without thinking, so tend to do a better job staying hydrated.

2. We limit alcohol, caffeine, and beverages with artificial sweeteners. (By that I mean we don't sub coffee/beer for water.)

3. We do drink lemonade and juices: apple, orange, pineapple. In the last few years, we started getting (some) electrolyte water, and I've sparingly started trying the lemon/lime Liquid IV packets. Those are okay, but $$. Drinking some juice/lemonade seems to work better than all water.

4. We also eat lots of fresh produce in the summer. I don't know if it helps, but maybe it does. Once a week, we visit a local produce stand, then make a big pot of like vegetable stew. Whatever we buy goes in the pot: tomato, eggplant, pole beans, onion, summer squash, salt, a little water, balsamic, and maybe fresh basil. Very simple. It is so good! We eat it alone, or add noodles, beans, rice, good bread. (Plus fresh corn, and a big box of peaches/berries/etc.)

5. At WDW, we start early, break/nap (2-5pm), then come back out in the evening.

6. If anyone ever starts to feel like the weather is getting to them, respond quickly. (Get indoors, drink fluids, swim/get wet, sit for bit.)

7. Though not heat related: great footwear is always important at WDW. Summer footwear must be quality for walking, water tolerant, and have good treads. That usually = quality sandals. Bonus for adjustable straps.

Lilofan

We’ve always had people tell us we’re crazy for going in August. But I’m a teacher so it’s always been the month we go. But summers are so hot up here in MA too that I think Disney is much preferable to a Six Flags in Ma in August. Obviously theme, but just so much more to do indoors in AC. When we arrived in Orlando last August we thought it felt cooler than MA some days.
I doubt the nighttime humid temps in FL is similar to MA. What was surprising to me when I visited friends in towns in MA is some of their homes don't even have central AC. In Martha's Vineyard for example we sweated it out because the home didn't even have AC.

Lilofan

I've been to FL many times in August. I choose to visit in August because I enjoy WDW in summer.

1. We get extra water with every meal, plus also carry a good amount of water. Maybe just us, but if we only relied on water at QS, we would not drink enough. If I have water in my hand, I drink water without thinking, so tend to do a better job staying hydrated.

2. We limit alcohol, caffeine, and beverages with artificial sweeteners. (By that I mean we don't sub coffee/beer for water.)

3. We do drink lemonade and juices: apple, orange, pineapple. In the last few years, we started getting (some) electrolyte water, and I've sparingly started trying the lemon/lime Liquid IV packets. Those are okay, but $$. Drinking some juice/lemonade seems to work better than all water.

4. We also eat lots of fresh produce in the summer. I don't know if it helps, but maybe it does. Once a week, we visit a local produce stand, then make a big pot of like vegetable stew. Whatever we buy goes in the pot: tomato, eggplant, pole beans, onion, summer squash, salt, a little water, balsamic, and maybe fresh basil. Very simple. It is so good! We eat it alone, or add noodles, beans, rice, good bread. (Plus fresh corn, and a big box of peaches/berries/etc.)

5. At WDW, we start early, break/nap (2-5pm), then come back out in the evening.

6. If anyone ever starts to feel like the weather is getting to them, respond quickly. (Get indoors, drink fluids, swim/get wet, sit for bit.)

7. Though not heat related: great footwear is always important at WDW. Summer footwear must be quality for walking, water tolerant, and have good treads. That usually = quality sandals. Bonus for adjustable straps.
Great points , I'd add I always wear a hat and sunscreen. The FL sun is brutal.

Smiley/OCD

If you have kids, summer time is the realistic time to go but to hot muggy FL unless one visits ideal climate at DLR.
We’ve NEVER been there in the summer for just this reason…there’s plenty of other times during the year when the kiddos have the week off that we were able to take them.

Lilofan

We’ve NEVER been there in the summer for just this reason…there’s plenty of other times during the year when the kiddos have the week off that we were able to take them.
My parents never did it but others in my grade school class back in the day would go on vacation to WDW for a week while missing school for a week when their parents pulled them out of school.

Smiley/OCD

My parents never did it but others in my grade school class back in the day would go on vacation to WDW for a week while missing school for a week when their parents pulled them out of school.
Being in the Garden State, we used the infamous “Jersey Week” or the week after Easter…I think there was one trip that we pulled them out for 2 days, but never a whole week.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Or just drink Dasani water…it has sodium added…can’t wait for Tiana to open…all the NaCl you could ever want…

WRT liquids: Just ingest enough to keep sweating.

There is no need to drink certain types of liquids or avoid others -- at least not with regard to staying hydrated. Only those doing strenuous exercise over a long period need to purposefully increase electrolyte intake. Caffeine and alcohol do have a very small diuretic component, but, only at first and do not have a dehydrating effect over a long time period.

Salty drinks, sweet drinks, juices, artificially sweetened, bitter drinks, coffee, beer... all work if the goal is to stay hydrated. That's what scientific studies say as opposed to pop science.

Just drink enough liquids of any type to keep sweating to avoid heat stress/stroke. You know you're drinking enough if you're urinating and it's relatively clear.

Now you can justify that third Dole whip.

Of course, one may want to chose some liquids over others for other health reasons.

seabreezept813

I doubt the nighttime humid temps in FL is similar to MA. What was surprising to me when I visited friends in towns in MA is some of their homes don't even have central AC. In Martha's Vineyard for example we sweated it out because the home didn't even have AC.
Ya we don’t have central AC. One downstairs, one upstairs. We put the kids in our room on really hot nights. I went to Brazil during their summer and then didn’t even have AC in cars.. just no relief anywhere but in a very rural area.

Smiley/OCD

There is no need to drink certain types of liquids or avoid others -- at least not with regard to staying hydrated. Only those doing strenuous exercise over a long period need to purposefully increase electrolyte intake. Caffeine and alcohol do have a very small diuretic component, but, only at first and do not have a dehydrating effect over a long time period.

Salty drinks, sweet drinks, juices, artificially sweetened, bitter drinks, coffee, beer... all work if the goal is to stay hydrated. That's what scientific studies say as opposed to pop science.

Just drink enough liquids of any type to keep sweating to avoid heat stress/stroke. You know you're drinking enough if you're urinating and it's relatively clear.

Of course, one may want to chose some liquids over others for other health reasons.
Like a nice, HOT coffee from Starbucks…lol

JoeCamel

You ever drink beer? I have to differ about the alcohol, one of the causes of a hangover is the dehydration from ingestion and if you ever saw the line at the trough (urinal) at a college bar it would be apparent you can't drink faster than your body wants to eliminate it. One or two I don't think would have the same effect but drinking all day or around the world is not helping your body wither the heat

Touchdown

Alcohol and very strong coffee (straight cappuccino) are dehydrating, however weak caffeinated drinks (soda, regular coffee) are mildly hydrating. Alcohol is a much more potent diuretic then caffeine.

MickeyLuv'r

I believe you are sincere, I posted based on my personal experience, not "pop science." I have read elsewhere that supposedly any liquid is okay, but in the heat, we feel better when we follow the advice I posted.

What works for us might not work for others though.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
You ever drink beer? I have to differ about the alcohol, one of the causes of a hangover is the dehydration from ingestion and if you ever saw the line at the trough (urinal) at a college bar it would be apparent you can't drink faster than your body wants to eliminate it. One or two I don't think would have the same effect but drinking all day or around the world is not helping your body wither the heat

You're equating the "associated symptom" of a hangover, which happens the morning after, with what was happening the night before... which was drinking alcohol.

While you're drinking drinks with alcohol, you're hydrated. While you're drinking drinks with alcohol, you don't have a hangover and you don't feel dehydrated, because you're not dehydrated. [Edit: The whole equation changes for those who are drinking to get drunk... and excess of anything has many problems.]

What happens 8 hours later when you wake up doesn't apply to your level of hydration the night before.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Alcohol and very strong coffee (straight cappuccino) are dehydrating, however weak caffeinated drinks (soda, regular coffee) are mildly hydrating. Alcohol is a much more potent diuretic then caffeine.

I'm bowing out about the effects of alcohol on dehydration. The sources I can find never mention how much alcohol one drinks. Which is important to distinguish someone who is having a few beers to someone who is stumbling drunk.

However, I will double down on not having to worry about caffeine unless you're ingesting very large quantities. And if you're doing that, dehydration isn't one's main health concern...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom