News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

LittleBuford

I think the issue here is that:
one side genuinely thinks this is not good
one side genuinely thinks this is good

and BOTH sides cannot believe that the other is being genuine in their thoughts and opinions.
and the back and forth will go on and on until the end of time....
I’m not sure where I belong in this framing. Those who are dead set against the ride would, I’m sure, put me in the pro category, even though I’ve been specific about what I like, honest about what I don’t, and unwilling to say from now whether or not the end result will be good (since it’s impossible to judge something none of us has experienced yet).

The discussion here would be so much more pleasant and productive if we got out of this tribalistic mindset.

Purduevian

Weird question, but we are going for the first time in December, which can be cooler. Even if it's chillier out than normal, will this ride be open?
Can you wear ponchos even if it's not raining? Just to keep clothes dry if cold out.
I don't know if this is accurate, but I also remember hearing that on splash they could control how wet people got throughout the ride by turning down/off the water cannons and changing the water level at the bottom of the drop. If it was colder, the riders would get less wet.

LittleBuford

Weird question, but we are going for the first time in December, which can be cooler. Even if it's chillier out than normal, will this ride be open?
Can you wear ponchos even if it's not raining? Just to keep clothes dry if cold out.
Ask to be seated at the back; you’ll get less wet than you would sitting at the front.

There’s nothing to stop you wearing ponchos as an extra precaution.

Earlie the Pearlie

I’m not sure where I belong in this framing. Those who are dead set against the ride would, I’m sure, put me in the pro category, even though I’ve been specific about what I like, honest about what I don’t, and unwilling to say from now whether or not the end result will be good (since it’s impossible to judge something none of us has experienced yet).

The discussion here would be so much more pleasant and productive if we got out of this tribalistic mindset.
I initially thought that this whole thing was idiotic. Splash had been one of my favorites growing up; some of my favorite memories of any Disney park were going on it with my dad, and I was kind of crushed by the news.
But then I rewatched Princess and the Frog, and I realized that it was better than I remembered. And then I got my hands on a copy of Song of the South, and I kind of understood Disney's rationale.
And as the construction process has gone on and we've seen more and more stuff, I've gotten more and more excited for this ride.
So I went from pretty anti to firmly pro. I don't think it's as black-and-white as it seems; I think that humans, by nature, are not as empathetic as we think we are.
I know this ride has a lot of feelings attached to it, but I think that if we just try to have some empathy for one another and try to understand each other's viewpoints, this thread will be a much nicer place to chat.
You're allowed to think the ride will be terrible. And you're allowed to think it will be great. Just try to be nice to the other points of view.
If you dig a little deeper, you're sure to find that zip-a-dee-doo-dah place of kindness inside of yourself ;)

ChewbaccaYourMum

My post was mostly meant to be a joke ha! Of course there's SO MANY groups in between those two sides.

I'm more on the side of I think this looks pretty damn good, and generally go over things in my head to make it make sense and see how it fits as a whole instead of nitpicking it down and just saying it's wrong and sticking to it.
But I might be wrong and maybe my way of thinking is making me ignore actual problems.. who knows!?

ChewbaccaYourMum

I initially thought that this whole thing was idiotic. Splash had been one of my favorites growing up; some of my favorite memories of any Disney park were going on it with my dad, and I was kind of crushed by the news.
But then I rewatched Princess and the Frog, and I realized that it was better than I remembered. And then I got my hands on a copy of Song of the South, and I kind of understood Disney's rationale.
And as the construction process has gone on and we've seen more and more stuff, I've gotten more and more excited for this ride.
So I went from pretty anti to firmly pro. I don't think it's as black-and-white as it seems; I think that humans, by nature, are not as empathetic as we think we are.
I know this ride has a lot of feelings attached to it, but I think that if we just try to have some empathy for one another and try to understand each other's viewpoints, this thread will be a much nicer place to chat.
You're allowed to think the ride will be terrible. And you're allowed to think it will be great. Just try to be nice to the other points of view.
If you dig a little deeper, you're sure to find that zip-a-dee-doo-dah place of kindness inside of yourself ;)
I feel like you can say this about the whole world we live in as well, and not just the (disney) world....

OrlandoRising

Accepting of mediocrity is why Disney continues to decline by degrees. You don't have to agree of course but being "nitpicky" used to be the difference between Disney and everyone else. That attention to detail seems to have fallen by the wayside. Also, This is a discussion forum where we discuss things. "Outrage" is a bit hyperbolic. More like disappointed that they didn't do better. But hey, opinions.
Spare me the high-minded talk, outrage is exactly what it is. You're assuming that anyone on this thread has demonstrated "mediocrity" in an attraction that isn't even open yet based on, what....moss?

I think the issue here is that:
one side genuinely thinks this is not good
one side genuinely thinks this is good
That's giving one side too much credit, because there's a decent amount of people on that side who could be more accurately described as "decided to hate this attraction no matter what four years ago."

I think it's much more sensible to pass judgment after I've actually experienced the ride.

Incomudro

For sure.

PatF is a great property to base the re-theme off of - and I have done my best to judge the work on that metric.
I've got my pros and cons based on what I've seen of the project.
My biggest con as I've mentioned many times is the exclusion of Dr. Facilier because he was essential to the film, its best character, and working him into the theme could have been spectacular.
Given that wasn't used, I'm left to judge things on the decision to exclude him.
From that... Most of what I see, I like.
The exterior (with the exception of some signage, mostly the vegetable chop fence) is very well done.
Would have loved the boat element, but structural issued wouldn't allow it.
The AA's as we have been shown are some of the best ever.
I also love the very large emphasis on the "critters" as Splash was all about the animals.
I'm certain some of the interior scenes and lighting are going to be quite beautiful, and far beyond anything Splash gave us.
Ultimately, we'll see how it all comes together.

In the Parks
No
Would have loved the boat element, but structural issued wouldn't allow it.
Where did this idea come from? I interviewed Don Carson (one of the managing Imagineers on the WDW Splash project) back when the retheme was announced and all we had was the original concept art with the boat. He said:
The "mountain" has "good bones" and I think it will support the changes they make.
I've posted the full interview on here in some other thread, but I think he would have brought up the fact that the mountain couldn't support the boat if that were the case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom