runDisney Springtime Surprise Weekend

surfsupdon

Granted it is very far away but I wanted to share this on this form. On the runDisney Reddit there has been some suggestion on the possible theme of next year’s Springtime Surprise. Those who participated in this year’s virtual springtime Surprise received the usual letter from Faron Kelly. This could mean nothing but I wanted to point the group’s attention toward the way it’s worded.

”Your achievement is nothing short of incredible, and we hope it’s just the start of your very own runDisney story. In the meantime, let these finisher’s medals-one for each distance you completed- stand as a symbol of your brave effort.

Speaking of surprises, just wait till you see what’s up for next year’s runDisney Springtime Surprise Weekend. Not to toy with you…but you won’t want to miss this sequel!”

Again, this could mean nothing but could they do Pixar again next year possibly with different films represented?
I am fine with themes from movies, it is a fun intriguing thought to dissect each word/phrasing TO FIND CLUES.
But surprise us with new race distances/ start times/ etc.

Rteetz

I am fine with themes from movies, it is a fun intriguing thought to dissect each word/phrasing TO FIND CLUES.
Start times are just hard to change in general. The Everest 5K at night was a mess logistically. I think that scared them again. Wine & Dine at night was always problematic too.

Distances can surely be changed a bit but even then there are only so many they can do. I like the the 10-miler distance. It’s not very common to begin with and it’s a change of pace from other runDisney weekends.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
I am wondering though, would they really do Pixar again? I am fine with that as I enjoyed this weekend theming and thought it offered a very fun race atmosphere. I do like the idea of rotating themes though. Looking at the pixar movies we have left there are lots of great movies at their disposal but not sure on race theming. I have bolded the films that I think have the highest chance (while staying in the 4 theme rule). I have also stricken though the films that have been used.

Toy Story (10-miler 2022)
A Bug’s Life
Monsters Inc (10K 2022)
Finding Nemo (challenge 2022)

The Incredibles (this is very obvious, and was done before at a virtual series)
Cars (5K 2022)
Ratatouille (race for the taste 10K 2021)

Wall-E
Up

Brave (Merida is a princess)
Inside Out
The Good Dinosaur
Coco (Wine & Dine 5K 2021)
Onward
Soul (Wine & Dine Half Marathon 2021)
Luca
Turning Red
Lightyear

Back to my first point though, would they repeat Pixar? I am not sure if they would ever do this again but I never got to experience Star Wars in person. I did the Kessel Challenge virtually before it left but would love to experience it in person. Here are some other ideas I had for race theming for this weekend (in no particular order):

1.) Tortuga Tussle - Pirates of the Caribbean race weekend
2.) Marvel (this maybe better suited for Disneyland if they bring back multiple weekends as Disney World has limited usage of Marvel characters)
3.) Ride & Run - Disney Parks based challenge
4.) Star Wars
5.) Avatar/Pandora

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Start times are just hard to change in general. The Everest 5K at night was a mess logistically. I think that scared them again. Wine & Dine at night was always problematic too.

Distances can surely be changed a bit but even then there are only so many they can do. I like the the 10-miler distance. It’s not very common to begin with and it’s a change of pace from other runDisney weekends.
All of this. Also, as much as I hate to say it. I don't forsee ever leaving the EPCOT parking lot on race mornings. I miss the MK/TTC starts but I have a feeling that we'll be in EPCOT for perpetuity

Rteetz

All of this. Also, as much as I hate to say it. I don't forsee ever leaving the EPCOT parking lot on race mornings. I miss the MK/TTC starts but I have a feeling that we'll be in EPCOT for perpetuity
I agree. I do hope they can change that Wine & Dine course a bit tho. I really miss AK and that 3 mile out and back is just brutal.

pdude81

Granted it is very far away but I wanted to share this on this form. On the runDisney Reddit there has been some suggestion on the possible theme of next year’s Springtime Surprise. Those who participated in this year’s virtual springtime Surprise received the usual letter from Faron Kelly. This could mean nothing but I wanted to point the group’s attention toward the way it’s worded.

”Your achievement is nothing short of incredible, and we hope it’s just the start of your very own runDisney story. In the meantime, let these finisher’s medals-one for each distance you completed- stand as a symbol of your brave effort.

Speaking of surprises, just wait till you see what’s up for next year’s runDisney Springtime Surprise Weekend. Not to toy with you…but you won’t want to miss this sequel!”

Again, this could mean nothing but could they do Pixar again next year possibly with different films represented?
From my perspective, they hit all the notes from Pixar for these races. Sure they could use different movies for the titles of the races, but there were characters from all sorts of stuff out there. I'm sure there is a Pixar property they missed with either a character or medal, but I can't think of any.

Rteetz

From my perspective, they hit all the notes from Pixar for these races. Sure they could use different movies for the titles of the races, but there were characters from all sorts of stuff out there. I'm sure there is a Pixar property they missed with either a character or medal, but I can't think of any.
Just because they used a character/IP doesn’t mean they won’t do it again. Look at Beauty and the Beast. It’s been used numerous times in different ways. Belle for Princess weekend or Lumiere for Wine & Dine. They are using it again this year for Wine & Dine as an example.

pdude81

I also think we can't read too much into the language being Pixar themed in that letter since this year's theme was Pixar. The word sequel is operative here so it could be another Pixar weekend or a returning race series like Star Wars weekend. If I were rD I'd want a big draw and would be doing SW for sure.

pdude81

Just because they used a character/IP doesn’t mean they won’t do it again. Look at Beauty and the Beast. It’s been used numerous times in different ways. Belle for Princess weekend or Lumiere for Wine & Dine. They are using it again this year for Wine & Dine as an example.
Certainly I wouldn't be surprised at some of these properties being back. I just think it would be weird to have a theme like Springtime Surprise and then run out of ideas after two years.

Rteetz

Certainly I wouldn't be surprised at some of these properties being back. I just think it would be weird to have a theme like Springtime Surprise and then run out of ideas after two years.
Completely agree. I’m hoping they do Star Wars but introduce some of the new properties with that such as Mando and things along those lines. I think people would love a Mando themed race.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
I also think we can't read too much into the language being Pixar themed in that letter since this year's theme was Pixar. The word sequel is operative here so it could be another Pixar weekend or a returning race series like Star Wars weekend. If I were rD I'd want a big draw and would be doing SW for sure.
In the back of my head, I think they are saving it for the Springtime Surprise anniversary if such a thing exists. Like I said before, would like to try and experience that in person if possible.
Completely agree. I’m hoping they do Star Wars but introduce some of the new properties with that such as Mando and things along those lines. I think people would love a Mando themed race.
Agreed, I’d also like a Star Wars Rebels or Clone Wars themed race.

surfsupdon

I like a 10 mile distance too. But now let's add a 5k or half marathon in the same day as the 10 miler, a morning/night combo like the Tower races of old. A Wine&Dine might have also had a morning 5k coupled with a night time half in the early years.

Rteetz

I like a 10 mile distance too. But now let's add a 5k or half marathon in the same day as the 10 miler, a morning/night combo like the Tower races of old. A Wine&Dine might have also had a morning 5k coupled with a night time half in the early years.
That’s just not going to happen. Logistics and staffing are hard enough for one race a day. Now you’re asking for a second? I know runDisney used to do a lot of things but races were smaller and things were different. Todays runDisney isn’t the runDisney of 10 years ago.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Imagine how fast the Grogu 5K would sell out.

Forget that, imagine how fast Grogu merch would sell at the expo for such a race.
Vanessa Lengies Money GIF

GimpYancIent

The worst decision run Disney ever made was putting the Light Side races, the Darkside races and the Kessel run on indefinite hiatus. A race series that definitely needs to be brought back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom