Fantasmic Reopening Watch

cjkeating

How interesting... between a Dragon with lockjaw and stunt trampolines that have been out of use for weeks or months, one can't help but wonder what specifically the crane is there to assist with.
I have only seen new F! once a couple of weeks ago and had remained relatively spoiler free. Trampolines were in use during the Aladdin segment if that's what you are referring to?

gerarar

Premium Member
How interesting... between a Dragon with lockjaw and stunt trampolines that have been out of use for weeks or months, one can't help but wonder what specifically the crane is there to assist with.
Trampoline stunts came back last month on April 10th.

See my original post reporting it here:
Pleased to report that trampoline stunts have finally returned to the show tonight (4/10)! They have been missing since around Feb 6, so about 2+ months of B-mode.

Perhaps the trampoline was broken or needed some refurbishment, but glad to see it back in use again, makes the entire Aladdin hero sequence better!

Timestamped livestream from tonight:

We are also now just down to one effect that needs to return – Malificient's fireball.
This may be a lost cause for now due to safety concerns and info from people working the show.

jrhwdw

Very Interesting return for F! Show looks the same as Sun however.......We got a Dragon B Mode with Mal. rising back up and the Dragon going back into the Mountain!!!! Must have been a last sec decision to put the Dragon Back! Show wasn't paused or anything.

Here's the Stream:

TTA94

I hope one day they update the fountains. Very big disappointment they didn’t do this during all that downtime.

TTA94

What's wrong with them?

Just not as impressive as Disneylands moving fountains. But that’s just my opinion since I love fountains.

I also wish they would’ve added the Disneyland projections and the colored spotlights on the towers that rise up when Mickey first appears. The DHS version uses all white and blue spotlights while Disneylands change from white to colored. Small thing but it’s cool.

gerarar

Premium Member
Just not as impressive as Disneylands moving fountains. But that’s just my opinion since I love fountains.

I also wish they would’ve added the Disneyland projections and the colored spotlights on the towers that rise up when Mickey first appears. The DHS version uses all white and blue spotlights while Disneylands change from white to colored. Small thing but it’s cool.
Seeing how DL gave up on their moving fountains (for the left/right side) after only 3-ish years makes me think it'll have an even short lifespan over here.

Upgrading them by making 'em powerful and taller was probably the better thing to do given the circumstances (sadly) of WDW management/maintenance.

I kinda like the all-white spotlights in the beginning however. I do dig the laser fireflies in the beginning before Mickey appears tho.

Disney Analyst

Seeing how DL gave up on their moving fountains (for the left/right side) after only 3-ish years makes me think it'll have an even short lifespan over here.

Upgrading them by making 'em powerful and taller was probably the better thing to do given the circumstances (sadly) of WDW management/maintenance.

I kinda like the all-white spotlights in the beginning however. I do dig the laser fireflies in the beginning before Mickey appears tho.

I still hold out hope they’ll get them working again.

gerarar

Premium Member
Some notes after Fantasmic's return after its short 2-day maintenance.
  • A lot of the broken fountains circling the moat were fixed and are working (normally) again.
  • All 6 of the wet zone splash thingies were fixed. There were like 2 broken iirc.
  • Malificient dragon mouth is working and moving again. Whether the mini-fire breath returns again remains a question as it was off tonight. Confirmed to be fixed as was working again the following night.
  • Show/story wise, everything looks the same. No noticeable changes.
  • The lower LED lights on the steamboat were not fixed. Probably a bigger job to fix that.
  • Still wonder what was moved around in the amphitheater that required a crane as it was seen on-site the other day.

Last edited:

MadTeacup

I hope one day they update the fountains. Very big disappointment they didn’t do this during all that downtime.
This was originally part of the reopening project, but was cut due to the budget being redirected to the many unplanned and costly repairs that were made to the show infrastructure. I'd love to see articulated fountain heads added in a future update. That said, I still think the upgrades they made to the existing fountains makes for a much more impressive display than Disneyland's.

Personally, I was THRILLED that projection mapping wasn't added. The laser effects are much more impressive to me and allow the performance to speak for itself. Also, I'm not personally a fan of Disneyland's lighting design. There's too much rainbow vomit everywhere. The lighting designer for DHS's put a lot of time and thought into the show and did some truly incredible things that help set the mood and tell the story. Sometimes all you need is white light.

Brian

There's too much rainbow vomit everywhere. The lighting designer for DHS's put a lot of time and thought into the show and did some truly incredible things that help set the mood and tell the story. Sometimes all you need is white light.
Agreed wholeheartedly, though I have not yet had the chance to see the show in person at DHS (or Disneyland, for that matter) following COVID, so I'm only basing that on the videos.

gerarar

Premium Member
The malificient dragon is breathing fire again for the first time since early-March. The recent maintenence was used to fix the dragon since its mouth has been broken for some time!
Screenshot_20230504_215721_YouTube.jpg

Timestamped livestream from tonight's 10:30pm show:

This also (re-)confirms that WDW's Fantasmic! wasn't affected by the fire incident at DL's F! last month..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom