DisneylandForward

TP2000

Seeing what they just came up with for Tiana's Bayou Adventure, I'd be thrilled if Josh D'Amaro and his team take all the time they want with this DisneylandForward project. Hell, send 'em on three years of Immersion Trips, just to start.

That way, there's a better chance that D'Amaro and the current execs will be fired by '27, and a new group will be installed who will return WDI creatives and the Parks executives to the standards and values that made the parks so great in the first place for the first 50 years; showmanship, hospitality, professionalism, and respect for the guest.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney makes its profits off selling the disposables…not by the gates or the hotel rooms.

Obviously those are “gateways” to the easy profits…

There is a reason why the “model” works…that’s the reason

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Seeing what they just came up with for Tiana's Bayou Adventure, I'd be thrilled if Josh D'Amaro and his team take all the time they want with this DisneylandForward project. Hell, send 'em on three years of Immersion Trips, just to start.

That way, there's a better chance that D'Amaro and the current execs will be fired by '27, and a new group will be installed who will return WDI creatives and the Parks executives to the standards and values that made the parks so great in the first place for the first 50 years; showmanship, hospitality, professionalism, and respect for the guest.
The decks of the management ship need to be swept with grapeshot at this point…

I have begun to make the case this is the worst Disney management group by talent and vision in its history…
…prepare to get annoyed by this 🤪

MistaDee

The decks of the management ship need to be swept with grapeshot at this point…

I have begun to make the case this is the worst Disney management group by talent and vision in its history…
…prepare to get annoyed by this 🤪

I absolutely get where you're coming from but the brain trust around the Paul Pressler era: DCA 1.0, Disney Studios Paris, and Hong Kong 1.0 still goes down as the all time worst in my book.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I absolutely get where you're coming from but the brain trust around the Paul Pressler era: DCA 1.0, Disney Studios Paris, and Hong Kong 1.0 still goes down as the all time worst in my book.
That’s the “gold standard”

But some of that was forced and they did not have the same financial means at the time

Now seems to be a lot of unforced errors

A couple of recent openings between Orlando and the Bahamas appear to be inexplicably bad.

That’s management

MistaDee

That’s the “gold standard”

But some of that was forced and they did not have the same financial means at the time

Now seems to be a lot of unforced errors

A couple of recent openings between Orlando and the Bahamas appear to be inexplicably bad.

That’s management

Don't disagree the current regime seems to have tons of unforced errors, I just think that recency bias tends to rule the day. Disney chose to cheap out with DCA/Studios - that was a management too, they were just overcorrecting from the EuroDisney disaster which was even more management failures.

All said, I'll take what we've got now over the Pressler/late Eisner era - even if they are still fumbling. Would love to see Tom Staggs and some of the brain trust from the DCA 2.0 management decision-makers make a return.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Don't disagree the current regime seems to have tons of unforced errors, I just think that recency bias tends to rule the day. Disney chose to cheap out with DCA/Studios - that was a management too, they were just overcorrecting from the EuroDisney disaster which was even more management failures.

All said, I'll take what we've got now over the Pressler/late Eisner era - even if they are still fumbling. Would love to see Tom Staggs and some of the brain trust from the DCA 2.0 management decision-makers make a return.
China was a bad idea for the wrong reasons…bob duplicate that

DCA was trying to fit more than they had room for and then Cheaping out…no excuses for that

Paris was a disaster that had them obligated to build a second park or face huge penalties…the place was close to going under as is.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I am somewhat surprised there were no details at all on this at D23. I was under the impression they were raring to go as soon as it got approval.

I guess either they want to roll things out for this more cohesively, or it's still a bit blue sky.
It’s a 40 year project. No need to speed through all of it in the first 6 months.

Vegas Disney Fan

Whether it goes in the Hollywood Backlot or in the Pumba parking lot the Avatar land needs movement from DisneylandForward, so they can't be too far away from building a pedestrian bridge over a road on one side or the other.
I had a similar thought, both plots require a ton of work before the land will be shovel ready. The eastern gateway garage, bridge, security area, etc is likely a 2-3 year project on its own, a similar timeline is probably true for lowering Disneyland drive and building a new garage to free up the Pumba land, they could build the infrastructure and portions of Avatar simultaneously but it’s a massive project regardless of where it goes.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I had a similar thought, both plots require a ton of work before the land will be shovel ready. The eastern gateway garage, bridge, security area, etc is likely a 2-3 year project on its own, a similar timeline is probably true for lowering Disneyland drive and building a new garage to free up the Pumba land, they could build the infrastructure and portions of Avatar simultaneously but it’s a massive project regardless of where it goes.
EGW doesn't have to be a 2-3 year project. I was just saying in the Avatar thread, if we use the Pixar Pals structure as the example timeline it'll take ~18 months for the parking structure and bridge. So that could mean, if they wait until that is finished, a start of 2026 for Avatar.

MoonRakerSCM

Whether it goes in the Hollywood Backlot or in the Pumba parking lot the Avatar land needs movement from DisneylandForward, so they can't be too far away from building a pedestrian bridge over a road on one side or the other.
Excellent point. Whether it's Harbor Blvd. or Disneyland Dr. Avatarland's options will require a bridge to be built.

There's a pretty good argument to be made that Disneyland Resort needs the Eastern Gateway (bridge over Harbor) before a bridge over Disneyland Dr.

They gotta build the new parking structure before ripping out Simba lot... another point for Avatar going into the backlot vs. Simba...

truecoat

That EG garage became the Pixar Pals garage after the failure of the original Eastern Gateway (or how I learned to love the Anaheim City Council after the election.)™. When Star Wars crowds weren't out of this earth, the PPG ended up having a lot of empty parking spaces. They could start the Avatar construction at any time in the Simba lot and construct the garage/EG(ohiltltaccate)™ at the same time.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They could start the Avatar construction at any time in the Simba lot and construct the garage/EG(ohiltltaccate)™ at the same time.
This part is debatable, as you'd have to still find a way to get guests over to the Simba lot from DCA for that land to be usable, ie like a bridge over Disneyland Dr.

disneylandtour

This part is debatable, as you'd have to still find a way to get guests over to the Simba lot from DCA for that land to be usable, ie like a bridge over Disneyland Dr.
I doubt they'd be able to drop a single land in Simba and open that up. I'm guessing that each expansion area needs to be thoroughly designed, even if one or two individual pads are left empty, so the place has purpose and flow.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I doubt they'd be able to drop a single land in Simba and open that up. I'm guessing that each expansion area needs to be thoroughly designed, even if one or two individual pads are left empty, so the place has purpose and flow.
Agreed, I don't think they'd just open up the area for a single land and leave the rest inaccessible. The whole area would be opened up and designed with crowd flow and such, even if new lands aren't opened up right away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom