The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

JohnD

I am still baffled that they could get Disneyland's 50th so right...down to the magical windows on Main Street, and get WDW's 50th so tone-deaf wrong...And it wasn't Covid...it was a lack of understanding about nostalgia for the brand, it was a lot of little touches... It was the overall plan.
Yes! I like the EPCOT SSE Beacon lighting...and am baffled that it didn't happen years ago.
The biggest flub of all was WDW's Iconic Castle...the Castle that was Unique to this park from it's inception. The beautiful French Renaissance Gothic Palace that is Cinderella's Castle....Why turn it pink? Disneyland has Sleeping Beauty's Pink Castle... WDW always had the majestic blue and grey Cinderella's Castle.
Nothing says Celebrate Walt Disney World like making the main icon for the park resemble the icons of other parks....
And we really needed those magical Windows on Main Street....
I agree with you on most about the 50th except the pink was recently added to the DL castle as well. I don't mind the pink as much as others do.

ToTBellHop

The DL Castle was always pink... WDW was not ever....
Back in the 70s, it was very hot in Florida. Blue was meant to make us feel cooler. Anyone who has been to Florida recently knows that it’s been getting downright chilly year-round, barely ever breaking 80 degrees. Thus, the Castle was painted pink to warm our hearts and skin.

~checks current temperature in Orlando~

Oof.

Parker in NYC

It’s much simpler than that…

You are correct that the “plans” were in place long before Covid and Slaphead…
He might have come up with them…but big shot Bobby green lighted them.

But what they did…or more accurately DIDN’T do…just reflects the different clientele.

Disneyland is half APs and have tastes and expectations to be met. If you try to half it like they did in Orlando - it would have flopped day 1.

Orlando crowds you can sell sand to in the desert. No expectations and the “cult of spend”

For decades (if someone doesn’t off me😎) we’re gonna see “it’s a shame what they had to cancel FOR THE 50TH…”

Nope. As was predicted before when people spun that nonsense: they didn’t have to sell what people were staying up at night begging to buy anyway.
They just wrapped it in purple.
OMG, remember all those “Just wait til the 50th” or “they’re saving it for the 50th” or “But Cinderella’s 50th emails”!

What a fizzle.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
OMG, remember all those “Just wait til the 50th” or “they’re saving it for the 50th” or “But Cinderella’s 50th emails”!

What a fizzle.
Do I remember “wait for the 50th…”?’

I believe I threw shade at it daily…
Not to be “mean”…
Just as a warning that the cult fans were sending the message to the “company” that the fans were already making excuses for them allowing capacity to collapse and inventing a mirage as the “reason”.
It was a clear signal/harbinger that the Bobs could experiment in retraining what used to be a solid, experienced clientele into increasingly paying to swallow crap…
…and ask for seconds.

VJ

The wording suggests it’s all month. They suddenly want a monthly celebration for Disney 100. And for April, it’s DAK.

Disney Conservation – and a Celebration!

Be immersed in Disney conservation stories at Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park—and learn how we can protect the magic of nature together.
Highlights include:
Plus, throughout the month of April, enjoy limited-time offerings at Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park as we celebrate Earth Day and the park’s 25th anniversary. Check back soon for details.
is this post where blogmickey got the idea of a monthly celebration? the D100 page on the wdw website refers to no such thing and nothing about "story worlds" has been announced... so where is this article coming from?

JohnD

is this post where blogmickey got the idea of a monthly celebration? the D100 page on the wdw website refers to no such thing and nothing about "story worlds" has been announced... so where is this article coming from?

"A different theme every month will bring limited-time merchandise, photo ops, and entertainment activations."

I joined this forum in 2013 when "Limited Time Magic" was going on. Ah, memories.

Parker in NYC

Not to be “mean”…
Just as a warning that the cult fans were sending the message to the “company” that the fans were already making excuses for them allowing capacity to collapse and inventing a mirage as the “reason”.
It was a clear signal/harbinger that the Bobs could experiment in retraining what used to be a solid, experienced clientele into increasingly paying to swallow crap…
…and ask for seconds.
It was more of a “do you remember” in a yes, I know you do sort of way. It’s time to Remember the Tragic.

ToTBellHop

It was written as such in the Disney Visa Cardmember quarterly mailing we get, so it’s legit.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hey, gang.

This is the 50th thread.

100th thread is this way...

ToTBellHop

Hey, gang.

This is the 50th thread.

100th thread is this way...

It’s amazing how life accelerates as you age. As a kid, it takes forever to age from 9 to 10. As an adult, one day you’re 50 and the next you’re 100.

brb1006

I am still baffled that they could get Disneyland's 50th so right...down to the magical windows on Main Street, and get WDW's 50th so tone-deaf wrong...And it wasn't Covid...it was a lack of understanding about nostalgia for the brand, it was a lot of little touches... It was the overall plan.
Yes! I like the EPCOT SSE Beacon lighting...and am baffled that it didn't happen years ago.
The biggest flub of all was WDW's Iconic Castle...the Castle that was Unique to this park from it's inception. The beautiful French Renaissance Gothic Palace that is Cinderella's Castle....Why turn it pink? Disneyland has Sleeping Beauty's Pink Castle... WDW always had the majestic blue and grey Cinderella's Castle.
Nothing says Celebrate Walt Disney World like making the main icon for the park resemble the icons of other parks....
Sad to think WDW's 25th Anniversary (1996-1998) was the most effort Disney put into a major anniversary for the resort (yes even the infamous Castle Cake). Even the 25th Anniversary merchandise was ten times better than the 50th Anniversary merch.
s-l1600.jpg

35A823983AAC44278BFE79C352CFEB49.jpg

s-l500.jpg

They even made posters which was beautifully drawn and colorful!
septdisneyana20041_0.jpg

septdisneyana20029_0.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Even the Anniversary's Theme Song "Remember The Magic" was more heartfelt and genuine compared to "The Magic Is Calling" which was very repetitive.

You would think Disney would put the same amount of effort for WDW's 50th Anniversary. Instead we got two cavalcades instead of an actual Anniversary Parade at MK, two mediocre fireworks shows (one hardly focused on Walt Disney World and the other containing ugly taco barges), a laughable bad lagoon/kite show which was short-lived, and golden characters.

The only good additions for the 50th was the introduction of LED lights on Spaceship Earth, Beacons of Light, and an anniversary tag for the Electrical Water Pageant. But they pale in comparison to how all-out the 25th Anniversary went.

Last edited:

brb1006

What a fizzle.

Not to be “mean”…
…and ask for seconds.
I remember when this thread was first created not long after I first joined this site. The majority of that thread was filled with optimism and excitement for what Disney was planning for Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary. Five years before Disney officially teased plans for the 50th at D23 2019.

Especially this one.

Then 2020 occurred leaving longtime WDW fans feelings of the anniversary like this.
ibp3dxZy2Vys4F.png

Then Disneyland Paris' 30th Anniversary occurred alongside Tokyo Disneyland revealing plans for their 40th Anniversary months later leaving WDW fans feeling like this.
MemeLoveTriangle_297886754.jpg

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I remember when this thread was first created not long after I first joined this site. The majority of that thread was filled with optimism and excitement for what Disney was planning for Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary. Five years before Disney officially teased plans for the 50th at D23 2019.

Especially this one.
People wanted to be excited…no fault there .
It overlooked 2 things:
1. They really stopped with the “celebrations” in Orlando in 2005. It was an Eisner staple…but the logical conclusion here was that Iger deemed them “unnecessary”…expense without measurable revenue uptick. If they pay anyway, why give more?
2. The entire management “strategy” in Orlando is to let crowds overrun capacity to sell upcharges. Again…giving “new” dilutes that.

HMF

People wanted to be excited…no fault there .
It overlooked 2 things:
1. They really stopped with the “celebrations” in Orlando in 2005. It was an Eisner staple…but the logical conclusion here was that Iger deemed them “unnecessary”…expense without measurable revenue uptick. If they pay anyway, why give more?
Not necessarily. there was the few years where they "Made Up" Celebrations like the "Year Of a Million Dreams" and "Celebrate Today"
Those were under Iger's watch.

brb1006

"Walt Disney's Parade of Dreams" created for Disneyland's 50th Anniversary might as well been the last time Disney actually created an Anniversary Parade at the U.S. Disney Parks.

Since then, both Disneyland and especially Walt Disney World prefer holding cavalcades (in WDW's case, reskinning parts of the Move It, Shake It! floats and simply changing the music) taking the cheaper route.

Currently, Tokyo Disneyland and recently Disneyland Paris' still does Anniversary Parades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom