News Walt Disney World theme parks increase capacity but see longer waits and less physical distancing

DisneyDebRob

The one my son in law received was not a reminder; it certified completion of the vaccination. But yes, we will definitely have to develop a health pass or immunity passport that certifies people are immune for purposes of travel or going to theme parks, sports events, etc. From what I've read, several companies are working on that technology.
It’s already out there and being used. I know some NY businesses are trying it out.

The problem, as the article states is creating a world with the haves and have nots with the pass. Somehow, hopefully they can work it all out.

Chi84

Premium Member
It’s already out there and being used. I know some NY businesses are trying it out.

The problem, as the article states is creating a world with the haves and have nots with the pass. Somehow, hopefully they can work it all out.
The problems they note are limited access to the vaccine and to online verification tools, which are certainly problems that need to be solved. I'm less concerned about people who fear social control; I'm much more worried about controlling the virus and restarting the economy. Others will have different opinions, and governments will just have to work it out.

DisneyDebRob

The problems they note are limited access to the vaccine and to online verification tools, which are certainly problems that need to be solved. I'm less concerned about people who fear social control; I'm much more worried about controlling the virus and restarting the economy. Others will have different opinions, and governments will just have to work it out.
The limited access to the vaccine will solve itself but will take time. The verification will be the biggest problem I think.

Chi84

Premium Member
The limited access to the vaccine will solve itself but will take time. The verification will be the biggest problem I think.
We'll figure it out.

I laughed out loud when I got to the concerns about social control. In the past year, I've been ordered not to leave my house unless it was absolutely necessary and to wear a mask in public - even outside - if I came within 6 feet of another person. Church services were suspended or severely limited even if you had no access to online services. Restaurants were (and some still are) closed to indoor dining, and I had my temperature taken to get into a furniture store. Businesses in my area have been ordered to implement mask mandates and social distancing. There are lines on the floor telling people which way to walk and where to stand. Gatherings of people from different households were banned or limited. People are not traveling because they are afraid of spreading the virus.

The app doesn't hold a candle to the virus when it comes to social control. People can get lazy or make excuses for not doing things they don't like, even if there is no good reason. Requiring proof of vaccination so we can live freely again will give them some incentive.

_caleb

People are not traveling because they are afraid of spreading the virus.
I’m still not sure where I stand on vaccination registries and certifications, but I just wanted to thank you for posting “afraid of spreading the virus” rather than something like “afraid of the virus.” That little nuance is important to me.

EDIT: Wanted to add that it’s other posters, not you, who often try to uncharitably summarize this position.

Chi84

Premium Member
I’m still not sure where I stand on vaccination registries and certifications, but I just wanted to thank you for posting “afraid of spreading the virus” rather than something like “afraid of the virus.” That little nuance is important to me.

EDIT: Wanted to add that it’s other posters, not you, who often try to uncharitably summarize this position.
I'm afraid of the virus and have been for the better part of a year; I couldn't care less what people make of that fact.

I believe Disney will be at the forefront of vaccination requirements. Disney needs (or wants, take your pick) capacity crowds watching fireworks and parades shoulder to shoulder without wearing visual reminders of a contagious disease. Letting in only people who are protected against being infected is the best way to achieve that and to keep its guests safe and healthy.

TrojanUSC

The “vaccination cards” being given to vaccine recipients are really just handwritten reminders of which vaccine they received and when to come back for the second dose. It is not a certificate, verification, or passport.

“A COVID-19 vaccination card won't be the same as an immunity passport. Instead, it'll serve as a reminder to get your second shot of the vaccine. It also details which vaccine you received -- but that's all. It can't be used for any other purpose. Immunity passports have been used in other countries for different diseases, like polio, to give international travelers the OK to travel. The immunity passports would certify that an individual is immune to the coronavirus and can then give people more freedom to travel and socialize in public.”

Source

The people who did my vaccination were careful to tell me those CDC cards are an official record of the vaccination and not to lose it, as it may be needed one day as the serial numbers for which doses you got and will verify your status, should there be a problem with their records, etc.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So it looks like masks will be required at the water parks:
When Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park reopens, it will operate in alignment with the health and safety protocols implemented throughout the Walt Disney World Resort, including reduced capacity, temperature screenings, physical distancing markings and face coverings. Face coverings will be required in designated areas for each Guest age 2 and up, including but not limited to the park entrance and exit, retail areas, and food and beverage ordering areas. Face coverings will not be permitted while experiencing water slides or in the water. You may also remove your face covering while actively eating or drinking, but you should be stationary and maintain appropriate physical distancing.
They are not using the park reservation system so not sure if they just don’t see an issue with capacity or if they will just close the gates once they reach their target. Interesting development. Maybe a sign that the reservation system will be phased out sooner than later. No point in setting it up only to have it phased out shortly after.

cgersic

The “vaccination cards” being given to vaccine recipients are really just handwritten reminders of which vaccine they received and when to come back for the second dose. It is not a certificate, verification, or passport.

“A COVID-19 vaccination card won't be the same as an immunity passport. Instead, it'll serve as a reminder to get your second shot of the vaccine. It also details which vaccine you received -- but that's all. It can't be used for any other purpose. Immunity passports have been used in other countries for different diseases, like polio, to give international travelers the OK to travel. The immunity passports would certify that an individual is immune to the coronavirus and can then give people more freedom to travel and socialize in public.”

Source
My Dad was given his card when he got his first dose at the VA on Saturday. They told him he would continue to carry that card as long as needed as proof of vaccination.

Da Bird is Da Word

At the end of the day, if you're really that terrified of the virus, then you shouldn't be going to WDW. I hope things return to normal soon. I'm hoping to go to Disney at the end of the year, but am not sure because of the cancelled fireworks, character meet & greets, mask requirements and whatnot.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
The people who did my vaccination were careful to tell me those CDC cards are an official record of the vaccination and not to lose it, as it may be needed one day as the serial numbers for which doses you got and will verify your status, should there be a problem with their records, etc.
Probably a good idea to take a picture of it on your phone to keep copy in case you misplace it.....and make a photocopy to store too?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom