Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

mickEblu

I mean, even if you decide to add glitter to the Mona Lisa, the underlying painting is still among the best ever.

The fact remains that everything that looks good here is a remnant of Splash, and the new stuff looks cheap and lazy.

From A-Z. The only thing that was approved upon (in a vacuum) is the tech in a few of those high end AAs and those aren’t even working the half the time so they don’t even qualify.

Last edited:

SplashJacket

Not to mention that DL’s always looked better and they found certain elements (most notably those cobblestones) to accentuate rather than cover.
I preferred WDW’s exterior, but Disneyland’s Tiana does seem to be shaping up quite nicely.

Seems WDW got massively shafted. I’d wager this will be an improvement over DL’s splash.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
I preferred WDW’s exterior, but Disneyland’s Tiana does seem to be shaping up quite nicely.

Seems WDW got massively shafted. I’d wager this will be an improvement over DL’s splash.
I agree WDW's Splash was very nice looking on the outside...much more than some people here give it credit for...

And DL's Splash, I'm sorry to the DLanders here, was vastly inferior to WDW's.

However, even DL's Splash was better than whatever the heck this is.

SplashJacket

I agree WDW's Splash was very nice looking on the outside...much more than some people here give it credit for...
And not to mention the vastly superior interior.

Not in the same ball park, imho.

WDW’s splash was easily the best ride in the park (to me) and it wasn’t very close.

I wouldn’t have put Disneyland’s in the top 3 when it opened, let alone when it closed.
I visited between WDW’s closure and Disneyland’s closure, and while we rode it 3 times (it was cold so there was no line), we spent our time focusing on the other attractions.

It was a decent ride but that’s all it was imho. I haven’t done Tiana’s in WDW, but I’m sure this one is getting the preferential treatment, so think it might surprise some people in a good way, unlike Orlando’s.

mickEblu

I think the general consensus is that DL’s facade looked better and MKs was the better ride experience. I never rode MKs version so I can’t definitively say but based on what I’ve seen and what I know I like in an attraction I think a case can be made for DL’s version being better. Just a few things… the pace, the single file logs (like real log rides), the drops/ song transitions being cleaner and in sync, the more thrilling final drop, a greater tonal difference throughout the ride creating a bigger payoff, the grander finale, more AAs and the Dixie soundtrack being preferred over the bluegrass.

Last edited:

Mr. Sullivan

Layout wise, what are the most notable differences in the layout between this version and in Florida's? I never got to do Disneyland's version but I know there's some differences in the way they're laid out and I wanna say the length (could be wrong on that).

Are these differences significantly noticeable in the ride experience or is it a case of like Big Thunder where you only really notice it if you know what you're looking for?

Just trying to mentally picture what the differences between this version of TBA and MK's version will be.

SuddenStorm

Layout wise, what are the most notable differences in the layout between this version and in Florida's? I never got to do Disneyland's version but I know there's some differences in the way they're laid out and I wanna say the length (could be wrong on that).

Are these differences significantly noticeable in the ride experience or is it a case of like Big Thunder where you only really notice it if you know what you're looking for?

Just trying to mentally picture what the differences between this version of TBA and MK's version will be.

Just watch it on Youtube.

SplashJacket

it’s not as extreme, but it’s almost like Superstar Limo monsters into to Tokyo’s Monsters Inc. Similar rides with similar concepts, extremely different execution and output.

That example is hyperbolic, but they’re very different, it’s not like the various PotC iterations around the world, it’s a different attraction.

Mr. Sullivan

Just watch it on Youtube.

Well yes I did consider that, but just visually seeing it it's gonna help me much unless I've got both pulled up side by side. Which I suppose I could try and do, but I generally focus much better on text when it comes to these sort of things (bad ADHD over here lmao) as i get easily distracted with videos like this, and that's why I asked people who I knew would be able to explain it to me in a way that I can consume better.

Thank you for linking me to one though.

Mr. Sullivan

it’s not as extreme, but it’s almost like Superstar Limo monsters into to Tokyo’s Monsters Inc. Similar rides with similar concepts, extremely different execution and output.

That example is hyperbolic, but they’re very different, it’s not like the various PotC iterations around the world, it’s a different attraction.
Ah, that's more extensive than I imagined it would be! I didn't realize all this time there was such a chasm between the two experiences.

Ice Gator

The TDL version barely even uses How Do You Do, which is brutal.
Maybe this is a hot take, idk, but I always thought the TDL version was the best one from both a design and experience standpoint.

I think they’re doing a version of it right now called “Maximum Splash” or something where they have extra water jets at the end of the drop that drenches riders

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member

Splash Layouts.png

DarkMetroid567

Maybe this is a hot take, idk, but I always thought the TDL version was the best one from both a design and experience standpoint.

I think they’re doing a version of it right now called “Maximum Splash” or something where they have extra water jets at the end of the drop that drenches riders
You’re probably right. The outdoor sections are the worst of the 3, the drop is fine, and the How Do You Do intro scene is whatever, but the latter Laughing Place scenes are reaaally well-done. Plus the darkness of the queue works really well if you’re into that sort of thing.

Extra Wet Splash was overhyped. You get wetter from MK’s little post-drop waterfall. In general, DL has always been the wettest splash because it’s an actual traditional log flume.

zipadee999

You’re probably right. The outdoor sections are the worst of the 3, the drop is fine, and the How Do You Do intro scene is whatever, but the latter Laughing Place scenes are reaaally well-done. Plus the darkness of the queue works really well if you’re into that sort of thing.

Extra Wet Splash was overhyped. You get wetter from MK’s little post-drop waterfall. In general, DL has always been the wettest splash because it’s an actual traditional log flume.
Agreed, Tokyo is the biggest and most elaborate, but I still prefer MK. Tokyo almost seems ‘soulless’ at times, where it just meanders without much purpose. It has very barren outdoor sections and a weak HDYD intro. MK was great because it eased you into the story by giving you three versions of HDYD: The original sung by the geese, the moving along version, and the turning around version. I don’t speak Japanese, but it seems like Tokyo omits the original version altogether. I also think having the Geese show up during laughin place is a little awkward.

I think where it shines is during the latter laughin place scenes where you see the hitchhikers, as well as the laughin place itself where it retains MK’s story structure but adds the giant mushrooms and fever dream vibe of Disneyland’s. I also think it has the best interior aesthetic of the three. Disneyland seemed a little primitive and barren as well as dark, while MK almost seemed a little too bright and open to be believable with the majority of the HDYD scenes featuring very obvious painted blue walls. Tokyo takes the larger sets of MK but adds the vines and slightly darker aesthetic of Disneyland for the perfect mix.

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
Agreed, Tokyo is the biggest and most elaborate, but I still prefer MK. Tokyo almost seems ‘soulless’ at times, where it just meanders without much purpose. It has very barren outdoor sections and a weak HDYD intro. MK was great because it eased you into the story by giving you three versions of HDYD: The original sung by the geese, the moving along version, and the turning around version. I don’t speak Japanese, but it seems like Tokyo omits the original version altogether. I also think having the Geese show up during laughin place is a little awkward.
Tokyo has all three. The regular version is sung by the hummingbirds outside and then Br'er Frog lounging on Br'er Gator. Br'er Rabbit and Mr Bluebird sing Moving Along, and Br'er Raccoon/Dog/Porcupine sing Turning Around. Why they're all out of order I'm not sure. Maybe it flows better in Japanese?

Figments Friend

So a story to share….

I am visiting Disneyland currently and the other day I was out on the river having fun with a great crew on the Explorer Canoes.

As we are all rowing past the remnants of the former ‘Splash Mountain’, our intrepid river guide at the head of the canoe mentions ‘Tiana’s Bayou Misadventure’.

All of a sudden, as we are rowing past it, this six year old boy starts loudly singing ‘Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah’….!

Yes, that made me day.
🙂

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom