News Disneyland Resort in California plans to begin phased reopening July 9

waltography

...and we're off the county watch list after falling below the threshold for the third day running! Yay.

I imagine California's warming up to reopening the parks soon, though I personally still don't see it happening for the next few weeks or months. We'll see what happens to the numbers if schools open in-person.

mandelbrot

I'm guessing the state will say something about theme parks within the next couple of weeks at the latest, especially if trends continue the way they are (and they most likely will).
How short our memories have become. The last time we started opening things up cases and hospitalizations surged and things shut down again. How long are we going to keep doing this? Do we expect different results this time? Why?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How short our memories have become. The last time we started opening things up cases and hospitalizations surged and things shut down again. How long are we going to keep doing this? Do we expect different results this time? Why?

Wasn't there a weak mask recommendation at the last opening up?

This time there will be a strong mask mandate. When the NY tristate starting opening up, we retained a strong mask mandate and it's been keeping positivity under 2%.

cmwade77

Yes, because we aren't having a bunch of protests and riots with no social distancing or masks. Of course it isn't PC to say that was the cause of the spikes, but based on the timing and other states, we know it wasn't reopening things that was the cause, we know the spikes have happened where the protests and riots were happening.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Yes, because we aren't having a bunch of protests and riots with no social distancing or masks. Of course it isn't PC to say that was the cause of the spikes, but based on the timing and other states, we know it wasn't reopening things that was the cause, we know the spikes have happened where the protests and riots were happening.

1598283190047.png

What spike?

NY had a lot of protests. But it also had a strict regimen for the whole state to be distancing and mask-wearing.

Also, some of the Southern states where things have been spiking were not places with widespread protests.

Contravening evidence means your hypothesis is false.

Were some of the protestors reckless in not wearing masks and could there have been a super spreader incident? Sure.

Is there evidence that happened every time? No.

Also, after the initial protests, many, many of the following protests had almost everyone masked. The protesters weren't protesting the scientific consensus.

ThreadMaster5

doubtful

Texas84

View attachment 492786

What spike?

NY had a lot of protests. But it also had a strict regimen for the whole state to be distancing and mask-wearing.

Also, some of the Southern states where things have been spiking were not places with widespread protests.

Contravening evidence means your hypothesis is false.

Were some of the protestors reckless in not wearing masks and could there have been a super spreader incident? Sure.

Is there evidence that happened every time? No.

Also, after the initial protests, many, many of the following protests had almost everyone masked. The protesters weren't protesting the scientific consensus.
Well, New York killed everyone up front, so they got that going for them.

Everything you posted is nonsense. Stop it.
cd.jpg

Tamandua

Well, New York killed everyone up front, so they got that going for them.

Everything you posted is nonsense. Stop it.
View attachment 492796

New York would have to be doing well now because so many people were infected early on. In early April, something like 21% of people tested for antibodies in NYC were positive. I do find it ironic that NYC is so desperate to get their wealthy residents back for tax purposes that they are arguing that covid is under control enough for people to come back, but not enough for life to go back to normal... Or anything close to that.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
New York would have to be doing well now because so many people were infected early on. In early April, something like 21% of people tested for antibodies in NYC were positive. I do find it ironic that NYC is so desperate to get their wealthy residents back for tax purposes that they are arguing that covid is under control enough for people to come back, but not enough for life to go back to normal... Or anything close to that.

21% is far from herd immunity. Carelessness could lead immediately back to huge spikes.

If there really are a significant number of people abandoning NYC because of the virus, the only safe havens are really overseas. And many of them are experiencing mini-spikes while trying to be fully open.

Tamandua

21% is far from herd immunity. Carelessness could lead immediately back to huge spikes.

If there really are a significant number of people abandoning NYC because of the virus, the only safe havens are really overseas. And many of them are experiencing mini-spikes while trying to be fully open.

21% almost 5 months ago. I don't know what the number would be now as they seem to have stopped bothering with antibody studies, but I would imagine it's much closer to herd immunity now.

Wealthy New Yorkers basically left NYC for their vacation homes where things were less severe. NYC has an almost 4% income tax rate (and almost 9% state income tax) that these people will be eligible to skip because they're going to spend more than half the year living elsewhere. That's why New York is playing the balancing act of "it's safe to come back" but not "safe enough to open" to try to get these people back in the city before they hit that 6 month mark and the city (and state) lose one of their biggest sources of income. If a wealthy NYer decides to spend 7 months living in Florida where there are spikes but nothing as severe as New York, they're saving almost 13% of their income.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes

There are multiple types of immunity, and humoral is only one. This is the one where antibodies are a factor. The other big one is T cell mediated. Recent studies over COVID19 show that twice as many people have T-cell mediated cell immunity than those with a positive antibody test. That’s huge. And this was found in not just symptomatic patients, but asymptomatic that were exposed as well. And the body has a memory so it will retain this immunity.

If anyone wants me to delve into this I will, but for all thoughts and purposes, this is a very good and hopeful thing.

ToTBellHop

I live in CT. They’re coming here. Great time to sell your house! Of course, if NYC has a 2nd wave, it’ll be here 5 min later.

Tamandua

There are multiple types of immunity, and humoral is only one. This is the one where antibodies are a factor. The other big one is T cell mediated. Recent studies over COVID19 show that twice as many people have T-cell mediated cell immunity than those with a positive antibody test. That’s huge. And this was found in not just symptomatic patients, but asymptomatic that were exposed as well. And the body has a memory so it will retain this immunity.

If anyone wants me to delve into this I will, but for all thoughts and purposes, this is a very good and hopeful thing.

Interesting. Would this kind of immunity be developed by the body after being infected? I'm guessing these cases wouldn't show up in antibody tests?

ToTBellHop

Interesting. Would this kind of immunity be developed by the body after being infected? I'm guessing these cases wouldn't show up in antibody tests?
It wouldn’t, but T Cell-mediated immunity isn’t as effective as B Cell-mediated (cells that make antibodies).

Never heard of coronavirus immunity that lasts a lifetime, though. We are gonna need that vaccine.

Tamandua

It wouldn’t, but T Cell-mediated immunity isn’t as effective as B Cell-mediated (cells that make antibodies).

Never heard of coronavirus immunity that lasts a lifetime, though. We are gonna need that vaccine.

Well now I'm wondering if we actually had covid despite testing negative for antibodies.

mickEblu

Well now I'm wondering if we actually had covid despite testing negative for antibodies.

Call me crazy but I question all of the science as science always evolves and what we think is true today may not be true 20 years from now. So if the weatherman can be wrong about the forecast in 3 days than I just can’t 100% blindly buy into how true or effective any science or studies are.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
Call me crazy but I question all of the science as science always evolves and what we think is true today may not be true 20 years from now. So if the weatherman can be wrong about the forecast in 3 days than I just can’t 100% blindly buy into how true or effective any science or studies are.

As a scientist, this is absolutely valid. I mean, science is observing the world and comparing it to established “fact” (which may change given said study) and coming up with theories to answer the questions of “how” and “why”. We once believed that the world was flat, that blood letting was successful in treating disease, and phrenology was accurate in describing a person’s personality. It doesn’t help that, in a politically divided country, research institutes or “experts” are prone to political bias, giving rise to further doubt in the population... anywho....

However, there are things that have such concrete evidence behind them that they are now used as standards to compare other things. In the case of COVID19, we know how the immune system works (of course, new finding can expand upon this), how coronviruses look like and typically operate. We know how to do DNA sequences, we know that vaccines are effective and why. We know how respiratory illnesses are spread. Etc etc etc.

There are often anomalies that pop up, but I think the best thing to do is always look at peer reviewed research articles, see their studies, see their consensus/ conclusion. If multiple articles come to the same conclusion with different populations, then personally, I find it promising. Getting anything from a secondary or tertiary article comes with room for adding biases. And yes, these articles can twist data to fit a bias. If you want to see concrete numbers and data, go straight to the source. I joke that I am such a skeptic because I need to see it to believe it. I always go to the source, and recommend that for anyone else that questions anything as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom