New 350 room DVC tower coming to Disneyland Hotel

Disney Analyst

Sorry, my contention wasn't that you can technically see Walnut, rather what the rooms are actually facing. The wing is facing the pool courtyard. Even the lower levels are really looking over a pool. The top levels and backside of the wing will have bad views.

There will definitely be 'value view' rooms, or rooms with garbage views. But the nature of DVC is you will pay significantly less points for them. In fact the rooms overlooking a garbage bin tend to be the fastest to go. 😂

I don't care about my view, my hope is I am barely spending time in the hotel.

Which is also probably why I would never stay at any of Disneyland's hotel, too expensive for a bed.

BrianLo

I don't care about my view, my hope is I am barely spending time in the hotel.

Which is also probably why I would never stay at any of Disneyland's hotel, too expensive for a bed.

The only view I think realistically I could justify as being unique would be for Ocean View rooms at Aulani or Savannah views at AKL.

Otherwise I think paying for views is totally over-rated (he writes currently in a hotel room with the blinds closed).

Disney Analyst

The only view I think realistically I could justify as being unique would be for Ocean View rooms at Aulani or Savannah views at AKL.

Otherwise I think paying for views is totally over-rated (he writes currently in a hotel room with the blinds closed).

Fully agree with the two you mentioned.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
So was Disney supposed to not build rooms facing Walnut? Just have rooms facing east? I don't think cutting in half the amount of rooms would be a viable business choice.

All hotels have rooms with good views and rooms with bad ones and price them accordingly. Even the hotels on Harbor will charge more for rooms facing the fireworks. I've stayed at hotels on the LV strip and you pay more for a strip view and less for a non-strip view.

TP2000

So was Disney supposed to not build rooms facing Walnut? Just have rooms facing east? I don't think cutting in half the amount of rooms would be a viable business choice.

It's really about their smarmy and pukey corporate sales pitch they put out on this timeshare scheme. But the massing of the tower and the way they aimed most of its rooms westward is one of the reasons why the sales pitch is so eye-rollingly bad. :rolleyes:

They could have gained a lot more "view" rooms by flipping the existing DVC structure so that the terraced wing faces east instead of west. But they had to build it this way so that their "one-of-a-kind pool!" had at least a few hours of afternoon sun most of the year. If they had simply flipped the DVC structure 180 degrees, they would have gained a lot more view rooms but ruined the pool.

Or, they could have just not designed it this way in the first place, but they did and now they've got a bunch of rooms facing west Anaheim and ugly views.

All hotels have rooms with good views and rooms with bad ones and price them accordingly.

That's true. There are some really crummy parking lot views at Hotel Del Coronado, and an entire block of rooms at the hilltop Rancho Mirage Ritz Carlton that just look out at some scrub brush along Frank Sinatra Drive. All rooms at both those hotels are expensive.

But some hotels are designed better than others. The way they designed this DVC tower puts at least half their rooms facing west towards Walnut and/or looking at Magical Touches like the backside of ugly infrastructure like truck delivery gates, energy plant cooling fans, an ugly office building, or gritty 1970's apartments draped with power poles. It appears to be a decision made to allow the DVC complex to have its own swimming pool, even though it's just a generic and basic hotel pool.

Knowing that design reality of where most of the rooms face and the immediate environment surrounding the entire west and south facing sides of the building, you can't (or at least you shouldn't) then claim that this timeshare mid-rise will be "a modern masterpiece, where creative inspiration comes to life like never before!"

Last edited:

TP2000

Sorry, my contention wasn't that you can technically see Walnut, rather what the rooms are actually facing. The wing is facing the pool courtyard. Even the lower levels are really looking over a pool. The top levels and backside of the wing will have bad views.

I guess I was just surprised at how many of the rooms face what is arguably the "wrong way". I assume they went that route with the design to carve out a DVC exclusive pool area that wasn't shielded from the sun the entire year by the Frontier and DVC towers.

Here's a Google Earth shot of the Villas. You can see where the foundation has been dug for the terraced wing of the building. The windows on that wing are 20 feet to the north of the power plant (those are WhisperQuiet cooling fans, I'm sure!) and 15 feet to the east of the truck access lane. The delivery truck entry on the southwest corner of the power plant doesn't appear to have been moved as of January, 2023 and when you zoom in on Google it has a full security screening system in place with underground security bollards, a security office, and assorted post 9/11 equipment that all Disneyland vehicle access points now have. So it doesn't look like they can, or will, be moving the truck access gate before the Villas open.

And the other ugly infrastructure around it obviously isn't going anywhere.

The Villas at Disneyland Resort will be telling their stories of creative inspiration within Magical Touching distance to this ugly stuff...

Cozy Neighbors.jpg

Last edited:

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I'm jotting that date down on my Day Planner.

Can we plan to reconvene here around mid January '74 to see what they do next?
Well I would be 89 and I am a type 1 diabetic so unless we get that miracle you’ll probably have to go on without me. I’m just hoping to make 80.

The correct drink to pour out for me is Blantons, which will probably still be back ordered in 2074, but do please try your best.

mlayton144

This is truly the excuse for a DVC hotel property in existence - even 90s retirement home inspired old key west has a nicer vibe than this unthemed apartment block. The location is undoubtedly convenient for folks that want the illusion that they are “on property” but the dumpster view value studios facing the high voltage power lines will still command minimum $35k contracts plus maintenance fees - join the club and be immersed in Disneyland history !

Last edited by a moderator:

TP2000

The correct drink to pour out for me is Blantons, which will probably still be back ordered in 2074, but do please try your best.

I love that. Like a happy Golden Retriever, I am always thrilled when I have an important job to do, and this request is brilliant.

Consider it done!

The only little hiccup is that I will be in my 120's by then. But I'm going to stay focused.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Point charts are up. Overall a little less than VGC for the get in price but VDH has a wild point chart.

The points charts are now out.

There is some analysis in this article. The key points seem to be:

- there are 7 seasons for VDH against 4 for VGC
- only studios have standard and preferred view, large villas only have preferred view
- some seasons &/or room types are cheaper at VDH, others at VGC

Also I hadn’t appreciated before (but it is not new info) that most studios do not have balconies. Only the garden view studios do.

DCBaker

Premium Member
DVC sales for The Villas at Disneyland Hotel will open first to existing members on May 2, and to the public on May 30.

"Mark your calendars! Beginning in May, Disney Vacation Club sales for The Villas at Disneyland Hotel will open first to existing members on May 2, and to the public on May 30.

The brand-new tower will feature 340 themed accommodations, including newly imagined duo studios, deluxe studios, one- and two-bedroom villas, and three-bedroom grand villas."

As a reminder, The Villas at Disneyland Hotel will officially open on September 28, 2023.

truecoat

DVC sales for The Villas at Disneyland Hotel will open first to existing members on May 2, and to the public on May 30.

"Mark your calendars! Beginning in May, Disney Vacation Club sales for The Villas at Disneyland Hotel will open first to existing members on May 2, and to the public on May 30.

The brand-new tower will feature 340 themed accommodations, including newly imagined duo studios, deluxe studios, one- and two-bedroom villas, and three-bedroom grand villas."

As a reminder, The Villas at Disneyland Hotel will officially open on September 28, 2023.

If people took a room for a week, that would be 18200 weeks' worth of rooms. I know there's a lot more that goes into it but that's a lot of moola.

On the flip side, someone on the WDW side figured out that the timeshare bidness is a short-term money grab vs long-term. I don't remember the specifics but it was quite compelling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom