News The 'Disney Look' to be further relaxed at Walt Disney World

KeithVH

Fine. Take away the Disney look. Go be Target-dressed. Along with those go pretty much all the behaviors and mentality that quantified the Disney experience for most guests. Whether they recognized it or not. Now, besides variances in IP, you have Uni and Disney as virtually indistinguishable from one another. Or any other second/third tier amusement park.

It's funny how many here are so "woke" they can't even argue intelligently about this. "It's just the way things are nowadays". Yadda yadda yadda. Or that some minority interest group (pick anyone not 'in the majority', whatever that is) is butthurt THEIR specific needs aren't met to THEIR satisfaction by a global company policy for tens of thousands.

If those of y'all who are complaining here are SO unhappy, take you money somewhere else. But no, you'd rather the SJWs unite! Evil corporation must change to suit us.<sigh>

So sad.

_caleb

Fine. Take away the Disney look. Go be Target-dressed. Along with those go pretty much all the behaviors and mentality that quantified the Disney experience for most guests. Whether they recognized it or not. Now, besides variances in IP, you have Uni and Disney as virtually indistinguishable from one another. Or any other second/third tier amusement park.

It's funny how many here are so "woke" they can't even argue intelligently about this. "It's just the way things are nowadays". Yadda yadda yadda. Or that some minority interest group (pick anyone not 'in the majority', whatever that is) is butthurt THEIR specific needs aren't met to THEIR satisfaction by a global company policy for tens of thousands.

If those of y'all who are complaining here are SO unhappy, take you money somewhere else. But no, you'd rather the SJWs unite! Evil corporation must change to suit us.<sigh>

So sad.
I like your avatar.

Tony the Tigger

So sad.
I like your avatar.

It certainly fits!

Nubs70

blackbook.Image15627.joedirt1.jp_image.jpg

Woohoo, I start in Janitorial on Monday!!!!!

castlecake2.0

After reading the rules, a lot of cast members can not participate. Attractions/parking/transportation/food&bev can still not wear the new jewelry, and food & bev also can’t grow the longer beards.

Jedi Stitch

Hmm...Relaxing the standards. That doesn't sound like it could hurt anything....as you slide down the slippery slope. See that Simba, Carnys, everything that light touches. What about Over there in the darkness, Happy Carnys, Simba.

_caleb

Hmm...Relaxing the standards. That doesn't sound like it could hurt anything....as you slide down the slippery slope. See that Simba, Carnys, everything that light touches. What about Over there in the darkness, Happy Carnys, Simba.
What makes you think this is a slippery slope? Why can't it just be a change? If Disney CMs started looking sloppy and unkempt, I think would make sense to express frustration or mock them with a clever Lion King joke. But why do you see the allowance of 1" beards, necklaces, and pendants as indicative that Disney has no standards for CM appearance?

dgauthier

Cajun Transplant
What makes you think this is a slippery slope? Why can't it just be a change? If Disney CMs started looking sloppy and unkempt, I think would make sense to express frustration or mock them with a clever Lion King joke. But why do you see the allowance of 1" beards, necklaces, and pendants as indicative that Disney has no standards for CM appearance?
If this was the only changes I do not think most would have a problem. One point I see like has been said is hey why not a 1.5 inch beard or how about two bracelets. that is not much of a change.......three years later I only want to add.5 inches to my beard

Attachments

• beards.jpg
    beards.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 108

lazyboy97o

This is not the first change and it goes along with other decisions that show less concern with the image of Disney’s designed spaces.

Sir_Cliff

What makes you think this is a slippery slope? Why can't it just be a change?
It's always the argument against any kind of progressive change. People predicting WDW soon being staffed by carnies if in 2019 grooming standards are updated to allow them a beard or some subtle jewellery is the equivalent in this debate of those who argued that people would be marrying their dogs by now.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

It's always the argument against any kind of progressive change. People predicting WDW soon being staffed by carnies if in 2019 grooming standards are updated to allow them a beard or some subtle jewellery is the equivalent in this debate of those who argued that people would be marrying their dogs by now.
How are personal and even issued accessories that are not a designed part of the costume and experience “progressive”?

Sir_Cliff

How are personal and even issued accessories that are not a designed part of the costume and experience “progressive”?
The original "Disney look" had nothing to do with supporting the theme of the parks. It had to do with projecting a wholesome, clean cut image in line with the values of the time the park opened. In many ways, it went against the themed environments. I'm sure there are plenty of people who miss those days when everyone who worked there and most of the visitors looked like they could have stepped out of Leave it to Beaver. However, others think it's good that people who would never have been hired back when the park opened are now deemed worthy because of what can be considered progressive social changes.

My assumption here is that this change is meant to boost CM morale in some way and help them in hiring and keeping good employees by keeping them happy by allowing some small expressions of individuality. These expressions are in line with how society as a whole has changed.

Incomudro

The original "Disney look" had nothing to do with supporting the theme of the parks. It had to do with projecting a wholesome, clean cut image in line with the values of the time the park opened. In many ways, it went against the themed environments. I'm sure there are plenty of people who miss those days when everyone who worked there and most of the visitors looked like they could have stepped out of Leave it to Beaver. However, others think it's good that people who would never have been hired back when the park opened are now deemed worthy because of what can be considered progressive social changes.

My assumption here is that this change is meant to boost CM morale in some way and help them in hiring and keeping good employees by keeping them happy by allowing some small expressions of individuality. These expressions are in line with how society as a whole has changed.

There is definitely validity to what you say here re. how the wholesome clean cut look went in line with the image of the park and depending on the application may have worked against themeing.
A bearded Nautilus captain, or Jungle Cruise skipper certainly wouldn't have been out of place.
I don't think a bearded Friendship boat pilot is out of place for that matter.

lazyboy97o

The Cleavers were not opposed to accessorizing and jewelry.

Flswimmer

So I can personally comment on this. When I was a part of the Disneyland College Program in Spring of 2018, there were several times where I shaved in the morning, and then had to work in the afternoon. Since my facial hair grows pretty fast, I would sometimes have a very slight five o clock shadow. Most of the supervisors were fine with it, but I had one specific one who would see it before I clocked in(or after), and gave me a razor and shaving cream to shave again. And if I was already clocked in, he'd make me clock out, shave, and then clock back in when done(and adjusting the time on the time clock), making me late twice(since he often wasn't there until close to the time when my shift ended up starting). And since I always had used an electric razor or trimmer before that, I had one or two times where I was rushing and cut myself, I needed a small bandaid two of the times, and then one of the times I got sent home because a small bandaid wasn't considered "Disney Look" by him. I was never opposed to following "Disney Look", or remaining "neat" at all, but some supervisors take things way too far. So glad to see that there's some slightly improved guidelines regarding this. Though if I do another program or work at Disney World at a later date i'm going to just have a maintained beard before I get there most likely, it's nice to know I have the option of growing it in, without worrying about things like this

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom