Disney Wish

SplashJacket

C’mon guys, for years I’ve been questioning the value of DCL over the other majors. Finally got convinced to try it out (on the Wish no less) and having booked only for everyone else to start fleeing? 😂
I think part of the issue is the Wish is so different from the existing DCL product.

IMHO, there’s definite design flaws with the wish, but it also provides a very different experience, so some people will prefer that experience.

So I’d be interested to hear a first-time-cruiser’s thoughts on the Wish

Surfin' Tuna

I think part of the issue is the Wish is so different from the existing DCL product.

IMHO, there’s definite design flaws with the wish, but it also provides a very different experience, so some people will prefer that experience.

We had a friend who recently tried DCL for the first time on the Fantasy, and we told her she should have tried the Wish first. I have the same feeling that a first time cruiser would enjoy the Wish. The Wish was still enjoyable; it just isn't what the others are. The sole exception to that is the walking deck - I do not know how anyone cannot find that bizarre and annoying.

Make sure you let us know what you think. We'll be on other ships waiting for your review ;)

BrianLo

Sorry, first time DCL, definitely not a first time cruiser. Hard to say if that would make me more or less critical of this specific ship, my leeriness still comes down to the Disney 'Premium' price point.

vikescaper

Since my cruise this Fall will be my first ever cruise, I’ll give my honest thoughts on what I think of the Wish.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Sorry, first time DCL, definitely not a first time cruiser. Hard to say if that would make me more or less critical of this specific ship, my leeriness still comes down to the Disney 'Premium' price point.

My comments on the Wish have been noted elsewhere, and we have zero desire to sail on it or the Treasure. The food was good, particularly at 1923, but the other meals were just average for DCL and the rest of the experience for us was definitely not worth the "Wish premium". Friends made that sailing awesome.

But even after being on the Dream recently, that "DCL premium" is proving to be harder and harder to justify. If you have kids under 13, it absolutely makes sense. For us, there's less and less justification these days. The food quality has dropped to be just average, the menus and shows/live entertainment are stale, and your wait staff begging for good reviews is rather off-putting.

And I cannot emphasize how tired of Nassau we both are.

ToTBellHop

My comments on the Wish have been noted elsewhere, and we have zero desire to sail on it or the Treasure. The food was good, particularly at 1923, but the other meals were just average for DCL and the rest of the experience for us was definitely not worth the "Wish premium". Friends made that sailing awesome.

But even after being on the Dream recently, that "DCL premium" is proving to be harder and harder to justify. If you have kids under 13, it absolutely makes sense. For us, there's less and less justification these days. The food quality has dropped to be just average, the menus and shows/live entertainment are stale, and your wait staff begging for good reviews is rather off-putting.

And I cannot emphasize how tired of Nassau we both are.
I really can’t believe they aren’t sending their newest ship to Lighthouse Point next summer. I have to go on the ancient Magic to get there? No thanks. It’s remarkable that it is still seaworthy.

Chip Chipperson

I really can’t believe they aren’t sending their newest ship to Lighthouse Point next summer. I have to go on the ancient Magic to get there? No thanks. It’s remarkable that it is still seaworthy.
I almost wonder if the Magic is being used as a sort of soft opening to test out Lighthouse Point during the summer so they can work out any issues before having the other ships head there.

ToTBellHop

I almost wonder if the Magic is being used as a sort of soft opening to test out Lighthouse Point during the summer so they can work out any issues before having the other ships head there.
Probably. I personally would be hesitant to book if I were considering because delays are so common lately.

ToTBellHop

The Magic and Wonder are the best ships?!
I’m sure they’ll be lovely lifeboats for the Global Dream when they are inevitably retired from cruising in the next few years. You don’t really see ships around anymore from before 1996, so the time is coming soon for Magic.

SplashJacket

I’m sure they’ll be lovely lifeboats for the Global Dream when they are inevitably retired from cruising in the next few years. You don’t really see ships around anymore from before 1996, so the time is coming soon for Magic.
Had a conversation with someone almost a decade ago about how the magic and wonder were likely heading towards retirement in the next few years. I disagreed then and I disagreed now.

The magic and wonder can live for many more decades if Disney desires. I don’t see them getting retired barring some massive unforeseen circumstance.

While a lot of ships are retired and scrapped within a couple decades, none are In the condition of the magic or wonder, and while the smaller ships are undoubtedly more costly to run per passenger, their cost to sail is usually higher than the bigger ships, and they can sail to ports too small for the larger ships/itineraries with insufficient demand for a bigger ship.

The magic and wonder provide crucial flexibility to DCL’s fleet, and I really don’t see them being retired unless they’re replaced by comparably sized ships (which wouldn’t happen this decade at the earliest, and would just burn a lot of money).

ToTBellHop

Had a conversation with someone almost a decade ago about how the magic and wonder were likely heading towards retirement in the next few years. I disagreed then and I disagreed now.

The magic and wonder can live for many more decades if Disney desires. I don’t see them getting retired barring some massive unforeseen circumstance.

While a lot of ships are retired and scrapped within a couple decades, none are In the condition of the magic or wonder, and while the smaller ships are undoubtedly more costly to run per passenger, their cost to sail is usually higher than the bigger ships, and they can sail to ports too small for the larger ships/itineraries with insufficient demand for a bigger ship.

The magic and wonder provide crucial flexibility to DCL’s fleet, and I really don’t see them being retired unless they’re replaced by comparably sized ships (which wouldn’t happen this decade at the earliest, and would just burn a lot of money).
I personally do not think they will be able to support their fares with 8 ships but I would assume (hope?) they’ve studied this in depth and concluded otherwise with data to inform some sort of strategic plan.

But, this company has management who live quarter-to-quarter, so you’ll have to pardon me for fearing that hasn’t happened and Chapek just bought a huge ship as a vanity project that would be his legacy (had he not promptly been fired).

SplashJacket

I personally do not think they will be able to support their fares with 8 ships but I would assume (hope?) they’ve studied this in depth and concluded otherwise with data to inform some sort of strategic plan.

But, this company has management who live quarter-to-quarter, so you’ll have to pardon me for fearing that hasn’t happened and Chapek just bought a huge ship as a vanity project that would be his legacy (had he not promptly been fired).
The 8th isn’t meant for American markets. So that does nothing.

With the Wish in Florida during the summer, they moved the Dream to the very expensive European market (effectively adding a second Magic to Europe. Then they retained the Magic in Florida.

The Treasure will push one of the larger ships out west, replacing the Wonder, which will go to Australia, an entirely new market.

So in terms of existing markets, they’re adding one Magic to Europe and one Wonder out West, and two big ships to Florida, which is the same expansion as when they added the Dream and Fantasy.

They wouldn’t have built Lighthouse Point and their Fort Lauderdale port if they were planning on going back down to 5 ships (ignoring the Asia exclusive).

Castaway could’ve easily handled an extra ship (compared to 4) if they retired Magic and Wonder. That’s not what they’re doing. Not in the short term, and not in the medium term. They might 15-20+ years, but it’s hardly imminent.

The Dream going to Europe has made those cruises, especially verandahs, incredibly more affordable. Big win in my book.

They were initially only adding two ships, but they clearly saw the growth potential and added an extra.

The 8th ship is a different story, but it seems Disney deems it too good of an opportunity to fail. Minimal risk super high potential reward. Buying the ship seems like some Michael Eisner craziness, but should be a separate product in a completely different and new market.

jaklgreen

I wonder why so many people had problems with this. I have sailed on the Wish and never had any issues with staying far enough away from the buttons to not set them off. I actually like the no touch buttons because I didn't have to touch them. After the one cruise when a guy came into Cabanas and refused to wash his hands before going to the buffet, claiming that he "took a shower that morning", I don't want to touch anything. LOL

Chip Chipperson

I wonder why so many people had problems with this. I have sailed on the Wish and never had any issues with staying far enough away from the buttons to not set them off. I actually like the no touch buttons because I didn't have to touch them. After the one cruise when a guy came into Cabanas and refused to wash his hands before going to the buffet, claiming that he "took a shower that morning", I don't want to touch anything. LOL
It's an issue when people overcrowd the elevators, forcing people to move as close to the walls as possible. It happened several times on my cruise in December. With the elevator situation already less than ideal, I'm sure the extra stops weren't helping matters.

jaklgreen

It's an issue when people overcrowd the elevators, forcing people to move as close to the walls as possible. It happened several times on my cruise in December. With the elevator situation already less than ideal, I'm sure the extra stops weren't helping matters.
Yeah, way too many people try to cram into the elevators.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom