Next Gen Busses

KrazyKat

24187576-2C58-4E49-8C34-C2BE7126E439.jpeg

_caleb

I wish the bus wraps where themed to whatever hotel they pick or drop you off from. Same for the park hopping buses. I know both of the ideas are completely impratical due the unusual schedules/routes of each bus.
I want to ride a bus that's stylistically fitting as part of a classy resort.

Several years ago, Barcelona had a small fleet of buses dedicated to shopping. They basically provided hop-on, hop-off service to several high-end shopping areas in the city center. As not to be confused with common city buses, these buses had nice, comfortable seating, soothing classical music, tables and table lamps. It might seem cheesy (and dated) today, but I think the concept is a good one.

photo: https://italoamericano.org/story/2014-9-13/Italian-Wheels

I understand that Disney needs the flexibility to deploy buses across the entire World rather than having buses that only serve certain resorts), but I think it would be really cool to have resort-themed (and resort-appropriate!) buses that match the "tone" (if not the theme) of the resorts they serve.

Another option might be to have buses from different parts of the world and different eras, like the streetcars on the F-Line in San Francisco. Obviously Disney wants new (Next-Gen) buses, but these could be really immersive. Imagine each country in World Showcase having being represented like this:

photo: http://www.autobusesbcn.es/altres_lineas/tombus.html

Personally, I love these wraps!! I'm all for the immersive details.

Sorry, but to me, wraps don't really qualify as "immersive details."

Marc Davis Fan

Time to break out the Tokyo Disney Resort buses again:

proxy.duckduckgo-2.jpg
proxy.duckduckgo-3.jpg

It's entirely possible to have unique *and* Disney-touting *and* classy buses.

But it's up to TDO to realize how valuable something like this would be for the holistic guest experience of a resort that's seeing ever-greater competition and ever-increasing prices.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

View attachment 417402View attachment 417403

But it's up to TDO to realize how valuable something like this would be for the holistic guest experience of a resort that's seeing ever-greater competition and ever-increasing prices.

To me, that looks like a leftover prop from The Rocketeer....

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

View attachment 417402View attachment 417403

I think a see a few Hidden Mickeys!!!

Figments Friend

Time for the Figment enthusiasts and the bus wrap haters to enter the Thunderdome!

Two fandoms enter. One fandom leaves!!

I am perfectly fine with both.
:cool:

Also rather like the original animated 'The Lion King' bus and 'Avatar' banshee bus.
Saw both driving around property two weeks ago and I will admit I was excited to see these in person.
Would have freaked if I spotted the rainbow Figment bus...

-

WDWVolFan

Blog Mickey has just posted pictures of new busses that have USB ports available at every seat and new wraps. A nice welcome addition.

View attachment 386390

View attachment 386391

View attachment 386393
View attachment 386392

What about NextGen drivers? You know, the ones that actually know what they are talking about instead of just throwing out there some random crappy rumors. :p

joelkfla

These wraps are great, but I wish they would go electric. We recently came back from China and we saw many electric city buses (and cars and mopeds). It was impressive, and so nice to be standing at a bus depot and not be coughing from all the smoke, and to see a couple dozen mopeds and small motorcycles take off silently when a traffic light turns green.

The U.S. has a fleet of 300 electric buses. China has 421,000 (source)! There's no excuse for Disney to not make their buses and trams electric. They will save money in the long run.
They tested a number of electric and hybrid buses, including one from China, a while ago (5 years?). None was able to stand up to Disney's use pattern in the Florida climate for a full day. Some spent more time in maintenance than on the road. Maybe technology has advanced to the point that it's worth another try.

If the buses are plug-ins, they'd also have to build a facility to charge the 400 or so buses. Currently, most buses spend an hour or 2 at the refueling and light maintenance facility, and then are back on the road or parked at a hub overnight.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
They tested a number of electric and hybrid buses, including one from China, a while ago (5 years?). None was able to stand up to Disney's use pattern in the Florida climate for a full day.

That is interesting. I just read this article about a test of electric buses in South Florida, and the BYD buses did not get as many miles between charges as estimated, due to the heavy use of air conditioning. In China it can get pretty hot too ... but maybe they don't run the air conditioning as much as they do here in Florida.

trainplane3

WE DID IT!!...

Too bad we just used up all our influence for new bus wraps.
On-the-way-our-of-tge-d23epcot30-event-we-were-given-this-button.jpg

Edit: While I liked the style of the buses a millions time more before the original character wraps happened, I like this more then the current character wraps. Feels less...hectic and more focused? I don't know. It feels less busy to look at?

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

WE DID IT!!...

Too bad we just used up all our influence for new bus wraps.

Looks like Mickey in drag. 😉

I’m fine with either design. I’m sure someone will have a problem with the new one, and supply a dissertation to prove it’s unmagical.

Lita

Disney plans more Wraps in the coming months, already have Peter Pan and a Cinderella Bus now.

WiFi is being added to All Buses Wrapped or Not (New and old buses)

USB ports will only be on Newer Buses that have the blue floors

Disney is putting in a New Dispatch system on all Buses. It’s been tested at Fort Wilderness and now being tested at Disney Springs, next up it will be used at Animal Kingdom then to the other parks.

I’m hoping we be getting new Spiels and Music soon.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Disney plans more Wraps in the coming months, already have Peter Pan and a Cinderella Bus now.

WiFi is being added to All Buses Wrapped or Not (New and old buses)

USB ports will only be on Newer Buses that have the blue floors

Disney is putting in a New Dispatch system on all Buses. It’s been tested at Fort Wilderness and now being tested at Disney Springs, next up it will be used at Animal Kingdom then to the other parks.

I’m hoping we be getting new Spiels and Music soon.
Any issues with the USB ports shorting out when the busses are cleaned?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom