Disney Q1 2019 Earnings Report

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That he did. Plus the blackout dates for various AP's in California point to 6/21 as opening day, with previews happening on the June weekends prior to that.

I think the hard core SW fans do DL and bypass DHS altogether. They are going to be the same thing on both coasts, according to everything the talking heads have said, so I personally believe that many fans will simply skip the swamps, having been-there-done-that already in California. This could lead to lower-than-expected crowds and, in the event of that happening, terror and panic from TDO executives. ;)

We had a pre-planned trip from San Fran to Vegas anyway for that time...going to GCH for four days as well and against my better angels I’ll be one of the earlier ones to jump outta the Higgins boats onto the Star Wars battlegrounds at Juno and Sword...

Love it in Anaheim...it’s pricey but retaining some
Of the charm they have wiped away over the recent decade in Orlando.

People pay the price and have access to everthing...all day???

What a concept.

Looking forward to Max
Pass too...gets rave reviews

jt04

That he did. Plus the blackout dates for various AP's in California point to 6/21 as opening day, with previews happening on the June weekends prior to that.

I think the hard core SW fans do DL and bypass DHS altogether. They are going to be the same thing on both coasts, according to everything the talking heads have said, so I personally believe that many fans will simply skip the swamps, having been-there-done-that already in California. This could lead to lower-than-expected crowds and, in the event of that happening, terror and panic from TDO executives. ;)

😂

jt04

So you believe SW fans to be mindless drones who will spend oodles of money to experience the exact same thing in California AND in Orlando?

I just don't think Disneyland will impact crowds at WDW that much. Yes it will help some but I still expect some phase closings at WDW during the first few months.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just don't think Disneyland will impact crowds at WDW that much. Yes it will help some but I still expect some phase closings at WDW during the first few months.

It depends on which days and the normal crowds.

We’ll soon find out...but instincts tell me this idea that there will be traffic Jams and mobbed lines outside is completely off. They’re already usually full....so there’s no place for a large net gain. It’s gonna mostly pull the daily crowds from the other parks...and the influx make for more busy times than other years.

I think there’s also a misunderstanding of what the typical WDW frequenters will put up with and what Star Wars is right now.

It’s not like this is an inaccessible franchise that people long more for...if you’ve watched the consumer trends it’s quite the opposite.

Again...we’ll
See...I don’t think you’ll
See New Year’s Eve crowds on January 19th...and if you do...go to dak or Epcot, they’ll be empty.

And next time...just say that and skip the emoji...it’s neither cunning nor impactful

jt04

It depends on which days and the normal crowds.

We’ll soon find out...but instincts tell me this idea that there will be traffic Jams and mobbed lines outside is completely off. They’re already usually full....so there’s no place for a large net gain. It’s gonna mostly pull the daily crowds from the other parks...and the influx make for more busy times than other years.

I think there’s also a misunderstanding of what the typical WDW frequenters will put up with and what Star Wars is right now.

It’s not like this is an inaccessible franchise that people long more for...if you’ve watched the consumer trends it’s quite the opposite.

Again...we’ll
See...I don’t think you’ll
See New Year’s Eve crowds on January 19th...and if you do...go to dak or Epcot, they’ll be empty.

And next time...just say that and skip the emoji...it’s neither cunning nor impactful

😎

twebber55

I agree. For my 8 year old son and his friends, both SW and Marvel are huge. He watched Star Wars Rebels through its entire run and is now into Star Wars resistance. I've taken him to at least 3 SW themed birthday parties in the last 3 months (contrast to only 1 marvel and one 'other').
i may do a survey in my classroom with my students to see what about 120 14 year olds think on this topic

LSLS

Think you guys are arguing 2 different things. You kind of agreed with HauntedPirate. It's not that it won't be busy, it's that it may not be maxed due to the west coast opening. I'll be very curious on the effects it has across all of Disney World. Hollywood Studios doesn't have that much capacity, so it will be interesting how it effects the total attendance. Does it just decrease from other parks, does it raise all other parks, etc.

jt04

Think you guys are arguing 2 different things. You kind of agreed with HauntedPirate. It's not that it won't be busy, it's that it may not be maxed due to the west coast opening. I'll be very curious on the effects it has across all of Disney World. Hollywood Studios doesn't have that much capacity, so it will be interesting how it effects the total attendance. Does it just decrease from other parks, does it raise all other parks, etc.

There is another take. The crowds at Disneyland will be well publicized. This may cause a lot of people to decide to wait until the WDW version opens. Word of mouth will also be spreading over time if the quality is what we hope. Perfect storm to generate a wave of demand just as SW:GE opens on the east coast.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I agree with you completely.

Last trip was during New Years crowds - which I hadn’t done in 15 years - And I spent a good amount of time in mgm looking at the flow and crowd swells during a busy week (yeah...that what I do for fun instead of after hours magic and waiting standby for mine train 🤪 ).

I think I said this on a thread: i’m convinced there is no physical way for them to handle more than a 10-20% influx in that park. They simply haven’t expanded the footprint enough. People will defect. Star Wars is powerful...but not enough to force people to tolerate the sardine canning process.

So a couple million spread out over the calendar...basically the avatar influx level, but dak has the size.

We shall see...it’s a fascinating social discussion until it opens.
But I’m not alone...I’ve seen Marty support a theory similar to this...but he’s busy now doing the most vague carrot dangle I’ve ever seen to the lemmings (it’s shameless...I love it 😂 ), so I won’t tag/bother.

LSLS

There is another take. The crowds at Disneyland will be well publicized. This may cause a lot of people to decide to wait until the WDW version opens. Word of mouth will also be spreading over time if the quality is what we hope. Perfect storm to generate a wave of demand just as SW:GE opens on the east coast.

Wait, you are now arguing against what you said 20 hours ago. You now think attendance will be higher than expected because of DL?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

There aren’t tens of millions of people waiting or planning to see “which way are we going?!?!”....

First, it’s too close now. The die is cast for the first 6 months.

Second, geography still determines most of the public’s travel spots. We can’t base this on people
Such as us or Disney sycophants. The majority doesn’t compute that way. They just book and go.

Third, the Star Wars nuts have decided...so early pub on Disneyland won’t have much of an effect except on the Disneyland local clientele...who don’t typically jump on a plane and fly to the swamp to avoid crowds.
Have you been to Anaheim? If they were bothered by crowds they’d run off the Santa Monica pier screaming long ago

Last edited:

jt04

Wait, you are now arguing against what you said 20 hours ago. You now think attendance will be higher than expected because of DL?

I clearly indicated it was a different way to look at the situation. Since none of us has a crystal ball we won't know for sure until later this year.

LSLS

I agree with you completely.

Last trip was during New Years crowds - which I hadn’t done in 15 years - And I spent a good amount of time in mgm looking at the flow and crowd swells during a busy week (yeah...that what I do for fun instead of after hours magic and waiting standby for mine train 🤪 ).

I think I said this on a thread: i’m convinced there is no physical way for them to handle more than a 10-20% influx in that park. They simply haven’t expanded the footprint enough. People will defect. Star Wars is powerful...but not enough to force people to tolerate the sardine canning process.

So a couple million spread out over the calendar...basically the avatar influx level, but dak has the size.

We shall see...it’s a fascinating social discussion until it opens.
But I’m not alone...I’ve seen Marty support a theory similar to this...but he’s busy now doing the most vague carrot dangle I’ve ever seen to the lemmings (it’s shameless...I love it 😂 ), so I won’t tag/bother.

I think I remember those discussions. Honestly really good points were made both ways. Another thing to consider is if the resorts are already basically maxed out, are they going to be able to handle a lot more people who want to come in. People can stay off site, but as I've stated before, I think that opens up people to going to other parks/things as opposed to staying in the bubble (might lend to the idea of not seeing much of an increase at other WDW parks/more people heading to Universal). Obviously WDW attendance will increase. I'm going to be really interested in how much. Will it be an overall significant increase, or just a small increase with a much different distribution from years past. How many of those people will want to head to Harry Potter after a day at Star Wars? I can honestly say I don't have the first clue as to what will happen, I'm going with a completely open mind on it.

LSLS

I clearly indicated it was a different way to look at the situation. Since none of us has a crystal ball we won't know for sure until later this year.

Ok, so you don't believe that scenario. Honestly I think that is probably the least likely of anything stated. I have a hard time with the thought that people will think WDW will be less crowded. I also don't imagine the die hards (who is where the initial discussion originated with) are going to care if the reports say it is crowded.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom