News Walt Disney World Annual Pass price changes effective October 16 2018

Lensman

That's all I've been trying to say. The discount is a great feature of the pass, but it never offsets the cost of the pass as the original poster implied.
Never say never. (Though I agree that's it's super-rare)

For instance, how could I have known my wife was going to spend $1300 in the World of Disney during our first trip in 2005-ish? I should have purchased an AP just for that! (Not really, but it was close!) And yes, she's brought her spending under control since then.

Cutigerlady

We decided not to renew our APs this year, we still are within the window to renew right now, but the increases this week cemented our minds that we made the right decision. Last year we dropped the kids passes because they just didn’t go as frequently as we did.

We have a trip planned at Christmas and I bought two day tickets (before the ticket increases). We are going to golf one day and spend some time at DS another day. After that, I’m going to stay away for awhile and see if my feelings change. I bought 4-2 day tickets for less than 1 AP. Even with the room and other discounts, I couldn’t justify the $ to renew.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Never say never. (Though I agree that's it's super-rare)

For instance, how could I have known my wife was going to spend $1300 in the World of Disney during our first trip in 2005-ish? I should have purchased an AP just for that! (Not really, but it was close!) And yes, she's brought her spending under control since then.

Rarely ever! :joyfull::joyfull:

Also, WOWZERS! :joyfull::joyfull:

Jewelry? Christmas gifts? Now I'm really curious!

Lensman

Rarely ever! :joyfull::joyfull:

Also, WOWZERS! :joyfull::joyfull:

Jewelry? Christmas gifts? Now I'm really curious!
It was unbelievable and until I saw the bill I would have said it wasn't possible! It also made me question whether allowing direct-to-room charges is prudent for us, no matter how convenient.

The other thing that defies belief is that the purchases weren't individually crazy. No jewelry or any individual item over $100. But if you buy enough cute blouses, jackets, and hooded sweatshirts, it adds up. It might also help to understand that some cultures and individuals have the tradition of buying gifts for friends, relatives, and co-workers when you go on vacation, to give to them upon your return. In Japan, this is called omiyage. My wife isn't from Japan, but apparently, she'd fit right in! Though I wonder if they also have closets full of clothes that they never wear?

There was other stuff too.

I can't entirely blame her. I've been known to purchase some frivolous things on vacation. She says I'm a big collector of Disney ice cube trays. I think she's exaggerating. I also want to know where my reusable Mickey ice cubes are!

BrianLo

I'm going to make an argument that a lot of people will not like. It's not what I feel should happen, it's what I feel will happen based on other entertainment ventures. WDW is still under-priced compared to other "Premium Priced" entertainment products.

Until the parks start to hit the cost levels of concerts, Broadway shows and big events, it's not going to stop.

Now for the argument for where the precedent is for them to easily drive prices up another 50% or so...

I'm still looking towards the ski industry. I feel they are the benchmark that WDW will head towards. It's the best comparison I can think of for a similar industry that prices themselves towards a premium product: running a similar structure with expensive one day walk ups, multi-day ticketing, AP's and the gamut of very expensive slope side accommodations.

The Epic pass sort of revitalized the AP cost threshold for skiing, most local hills would (and still do) charge well over 1000$ for their own adult lift annual passes. One-day walk up prices to places like Vail and Aspen are now around 160 USD or more. The Epic Pass, while drastically cutting the cost threshold, still costs 899 for the full product and only works for half the year.

You really cannot get a deal on the magnitude of the Magic Your Way ticket pricing in the ski industry. Discounts tend to top out around 30%-40% total despite slapping on as many days as possible. None of these extra days for a few dollars business. Food is probably similarly priced, but totally depends on location.

So based on all of that, WDW is still a much cheaper product. Unfortunately Skiing was a little worse and has had some reprieve by offering products that have actually made it a little cheaper, but they are still ahead of WDW. WDW faces the unfortunate uphill climb to catch up.

All of which is to say I see no real reason the costs will continue to accelerate towards that 150-175$ one day walk-up threshold and the top AP should easily start to hit 1300-1500$ before they've overdone what another industry is already doing. Heck, Anaheim already charges 150$ more for the top tier.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
We decided not to renew our APs this year, we still are within the window to renew right now, but the increases this week cemented our minds that we made the right decision. Last year we dropped the kids passes because they just didn’t go as frequently as we did.

We have a trip planned at Christmas and I bought two day tickets (before the ticket increases). We are going to golf one day and spend some time at DS another day. After that, I’m going to stay away for awhile and see if my feelings change. I bought 4-2 day tickets for less than 1 AP. Even with the room and other discounts, I couldn’t justify the $ to renew.
Can't blame you. Oh, and interesting user name.

LSLS

For the amount of money we'd spend on a 7-night stay at WDW - Park hoppers, airfare, food (no real hotel cost since we're DVC) - We can take a 7-day Disney cruise and enjoy unlimited food, non-alcoholic beverages, and a ton of entertainment. And they both are a TON of money, and it's making us reconsider where we vacation, to be honest.

Funnyenough, that is what got us on our first cruise. We haven't been back to the parks since. The disney cruises are outstanding.

Clopin Trouillefou

I'm going to make an argument that a lot of people will not like. It's not what I feel should happen, it's what I feel will happen based on other entertainment ventures. WDW is still under-priced compared to other "Premium Priced" entertainment products.

Until the parks start to hit the cost levels of concerts, Broadway shows and big events, it's not going to stop.

Now for the argument for where the precedent is for them to easily drive prices up another 50% or so...

I'm still looking towards the ski industry. I feel they are the benchmark that WDW will head towards. It's the best comparison I can think of for a similar industry that prices themselves towards a premium product: running a similar structure with expensive one day walk ups, multi-day ticketing, AP's and the gamut of very expensive slope side accommodations.

The Epic pass sort of revitalized the AP cost threshold for skiing, most local hills would (and still do) charge well over 1000$ for their own adult lift annual passes. One-day walk up prices to places like Vail and Aspen are now around 160 USD or more. The Epic Pass, while drastically cutting the cost threshold, still costs 899 for the full product and only works for half the year.

You really cannot get a deal on the magnitude of the Magic Your Way ticket pricing in the ski industry. Discounts tend to top out around 30%-40% total despite slapping on as many days as possible. None of these extra days for a few dollars business. Food is probably similarly priced, but totally depends on location.

So based on all of that, WDW is still a much cheaper product. Unfortunately Skiing was a little worse and has had some reprieve by offering products that have actually made it a little cheaper, but they are still ahead of WDW. WDW faces the unfortunate uphill climb to catch up.

All of which is to say I see no real reason the costs will continue to accelerate towards that 150-175$ one day walk-up threshold and the top AP should easily start to hit 1300-1500$ before they've overdone what another industry is already doing. Heck, Anaheim already charges 150$ more for the top tier.

I totally agree with this. I'm single with no kids so I grant that it's different for me, but a peanut-gallery ticket to Mumford & Sons just ran me over $100. That's for a 2-3 hour concert as opposed to 10 hours in a theme park.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I totally agree with this. I'm single with no kids so I grant that it's different for me, but a peanut-gallery ticket to Mumford & Sons just ran me over $100. That's for a 2-3 hour concert as opposed to 10 hours in a theme park.
This is the comparison I like to make. Some people pay $500 bucks for a pair of tickets to see a way past their prime band/artist, so $120 bucks for 12 hours worth of entertainment doesn't seem too out of line. Still, it's expensive and you are paying a premium on the experience Disney brings.

imsosarah

Whatcha wanna bet that "availability" is directly related to how well they're doing at the gate...?
I think this is simply referring to the old passes (silver, select) no longer even being an option. You have to renew with one of the new pass options.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I think this is simply referring to the old passes (silver, select) no longer even being an option. You have to renew with one of the new pass options.
That's just what they want you to think. Who's to say that before they let you renew, they don't run your access history and see how much they made (lost) on you in the previous 12 months?

matt9112

Such a disconnect between stagnant wages in general and the Disney pricing model. Not that they were ever directly correlated. Still an ever growing chasm.

*Disclaimer: Its a luxury item and every vacation is a choice so there are no victims here.

its 2018 i can claim to be a victim of anything i want.
so disney pricing it is.

in all reality they are a luxury item but one most people could swing once in a life time not sure its that easy anymore.

matt9112

It was unbelievable and until I saw the bill I would have said it wasn't possible! It also made me question whether allowing direct-to-room charges is prudent for us, no matter how convenient.

The other thing that defies belief is that the purchases weren't individually crazy. No jewelry or any individual item over $100. But if you buy enough cute blouses, jackets, and hooded sweatshirts, it adds up. It might also help to understand that some cultures and individuals have the tradition of buying gifts for friends, relatives, and co-workers when you go on vacation, to give to them upon your return. In Japan, this is called omiyage. My wife isn't from Japan, but apparently, she'd fit right in! Though I wonder if they also have closets full of clothes that they never wear?

There was other stuff too.

I can't entirely blame her. I've been known to purchase some frivolous things on vacation. She says I'm a big collector of Disney ice cube trays. I think she's exaggerating. I also want to know where my reusable Mickey ice cubes are!

i got those cubes at the character warehouse for like 99 cents.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom