The Downtown Disney Thread

JSouth25

Was Downtown Disney a place that was truly immersively themed?

I'll agree that the look was more consistent and clean, and individual places could certainly be well done, but I don't know if I would have every called it immersively themed.
Yeah, I wouldn’t call it immersive, but I definitely thought it was unique and had the Disney touch. I have mixed feelings on the rethemes, because I like how places like Naples look after being redone, but then you have places like World of Disney that took all the fun and character out of it and now it just looks like a department store.

Animaniac93-98

Was Downtown Disney a place that was truly immersively themed?

I'll agree that the look was more consistent and clean, and individual places could certainly be well done, but I don't know if I would have every called it immersively themed.

It was always a lackluster looking outdoor mall.

Would have been nice if the whole thing felt like an extension of Grand Californian instead of just the area in front of it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And unfortunately renamed to “Disney Wonderful World of Sweets”.

I know it’s just a name change but I’ll miss the connection to Walt, I don’t understand why Disney does a lot of what Disney does.
Yeah I don't know why the name change, Disney makes decisions for all sorts of reasons. Maybe they felt it needed to be tied more directly to the company, or maybe Disney lost the rights to use the Marceline name and the town no longer wanted their name used. Who knows...

But at least the name still has a connection to Walt, a cute nod to the Wonderful World of Disney.

Disney Analyst

I'm a bit worried that this one may create the tent look, while being more permanent?

I kinda though they'd match the look of the new DTD entrance, but this seems to be more tent like?

Ugh, looks like my worry came true. From MC:

IMG_2958.jpeg

IMG_2959.jpeg

AJFireman

Yeah I cant see DTD making something permanent there with future plans for that area. Once Construction is done I can see them moving on to ESPN zone, Trading Post ie Rainforest (OOPS Trader Sams on my way there so it was on my mind) and possibly some of the Stitch Parking lot.

Last edited:

AJFireman

But you know as much as I love the charming experience that is Trader Sam's at the DL Hotel that concept at the old Rainforest cafe with some Good Hawaiian food would kill it.
I know they are going with everything looks the same but Hangar Bar or a Trader Sam's would attract more locals with more places to just hang out. Maybe with the rooftop bars they have planned out will create more of that vibe. When I go there its either just a place to walk through depending on where I park or get dinner. I haven't been to Centrico but UVA was a good place to just chill. I will be trying Centrico this weekend as I will be there for RunDisney weekend. Hope to take lots of backstage pictures.

AJFireman

Even if temporary it looks way better than the old green ones.

Have they blocked off the path to the north and south so its dedicated to the DLH guests?
North No. South I don't recall but I will look into it. I do remember looking South and seeing the locked hotel guest door but not sure about the road that used to continue there. The did have the doors proped open under the fantasia hat so it's a way to get to goofy or trader sams as a non hotel guest. So not sure if this will be dedicated to only hotel guest The gate next to the new entrance.by the parking lot is locked for hotel only.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom