Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Disney Analyst

The live-action reimagining of the studio’s Academy Award®-winning animated musical starring Halle Bailey and Melissa McCarthy is the most viewed Disney movie premiere on Disney+ since Hocus Pocus 2, garnering 16 million views in its first five days streaming.

Its success on Disney+ follows a strong theatrical run this summer. The movie—which was directed by Rob Marshall and opened over Memorial Day weekend to $118.6 million in North America—was one of the top five highest-grossing films of the summer domestically with nearly $300 million.

The Little Mermaid—which also stars Javier Bardem, Daveed Diggs, and Awkwafina—is also among 2023’s top ten films worldwide to date, earning $570 million at the global box office.

The film was praised by audiences who gave it an “A” CinemaScore and a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes.

2023’s The Little Mermaid builds on the incredible legacy of the original 1989 classic, continuing to bring the story to life through a treasure trove of merchandising, parks and resorts attractions, video games, books, and theater productions for millions of fans around the world. The release of the live action The Little Mermaid has also given a boost to Disney’s existing library resulting in tremendous engagement for The Little Mermaid animated films on Disney+.

A view is defined as total stream time divided by runtime.

TP2000

Soon they will be informing us that none of this is true.

Huh? All of that is true.

Disney can't blatantly lie in their public statements. But they can massage the words to make it sound awesome.

We've detailed the box office data and hard facts in the Box Office thread for Little Mermaid. It lost $106 Million for Disney.

$250 Production $140 Marketing, Box Office $179 USA, $105 Foreign, $284 B.O. Take = $106 Million Loss

Little Mermaid is the 6th highest grossing domestic box office movie of 2023 so far with $298 Million in US ticket sales.

Little Mermaid is 10th highest grossing global box office movie of 2023 so far with $561 Million in global ticket sales.

Disstevefan1

Time to move on….getting a click on a remote or app isn’t a big victory when you’re $75,000,000 under the waves
"A view is defined as total stream time divided by runtime."
So the movie must be steamed for its entire run time to be counted as 1
That means 16 million subscribers watched the movie start to end.
In the US there are 42 million D+ subscribers.
D+ has 157 million world wide.

Last edited:

mf1972

my wife & i finally sat down & watched it, & we just didn’t care for it at all. i’ll admit that we’re not that impressed with the live action remakes as of late, & this one just had a tough act to follow vs the original. i agree with other posters on the scuttle butt song. it was terrible. bailey is probably the movie’s saving grace. i didn’t think she was that bad at all & she doesn’t deserve the criticism that she received. to each their own.

DavidDL

Watched this one Tuesday night. I thought it was fine. Some thoughts that come to mind:

- I liked Scuttle. "Has Ariel killed the prince yet?" got an audible laugh out of me.
- I think Bailey was fine but my wife and I had to turn down the volume or grit our teeth through some of her high notes when singing. I don't know if this was her or the sound editing team's doing but it hurt.
- I think Ursula was great, McCarthy sounded just like her at times. On that note, Bailey sounded a lot like Ariel from the animation to me at times, too. There were points with these two that I was convinced Benson and Carroll were the ones speaking.
- I thought the extra stipulation of Ariel forgetting she needed the kiss was a tad much. The fact that she already needed it to be a "true love" kiss (not just any ol' smooch) would've been challenge enough without her voice.
- I liked Ariel saving Eric at the end using the knowledge that she got from watching him save others the night of the shipwreck, I felt like it tied those two scenes and characters together nicely.
- I didn't like Eric's song or his acting during it, it all came off a bit "extra", to me. I'd say Beast's song did it better.
- It is a small detail that others may not think about but I am glad Ariel did not need to sign a contract with Ursula. Because her doing so would mean she knows how to write and could have simply done so to communicate with Eric. With this iteration, we can infer that was never an option for her.

Again, overall, I felt it was "fine". It was basically just watching The Little Mermaid. I guess it (like many Disney live action remakes) just felt a little unnecessary to me at the end of the day. Like, it's not like it existing is a bad thing. I'm happy for anyone will make this iteration their default between the two. But after realizing how VFX heavy the film was and therefore, how expensive it was to make, it made me question if the investment was really worth it on their end to get something that was just "fine" at the end of the day.

Phroobar

That’s great. I hope all those who waited for it to come out on Disney+ loved it as much as I did!
I watched it on D+. The acting and singing were fine except for the Scuttlebutt song. The songs felt more like karaoke at times. The animal animation was dreadful. The biggest problem is the length. There isn't much happening to justify the length. There were large patches where nothing advanced the plot. It is a C+.

Chi84

Premium Member
I watched it on D+. The acting and singing were fine except for the Scuttlebutt song. The songs felt more like karaoke at times. The animal animation was dreadful. The biggest problem is the length. There isn't much happening to justify the length. There were large patches where nothing advanced the plot. It is a C+.
Obviously, I enjoyed it much more than you did. Different things for different people! I thought the Scuttlebutt song was great.

Chi84

Premium Member
I really didn't like any of the three new songs. They felt like time fillers, however Scuttlebutt was jarring to me.
I had nowhere to go so the length didn’t bother me lol. Also, I prefer live-action retellings to the originals for the very reason that relationships can be better established. So we’re probably coming from two very different places where the movie is concerned.

Phroobar

I had nowhere to go so the length didn’t bother me lol. Also, I prefer live-action retellings to the originals for the very reason that relationships can be better established. So we’re probably coming from two very different places where the movie is concerned.
Most likely so. I just know I kept wanting to fast forward but didn't in fear of missing something new.

TP2000

But after realizing how VFX heavy the film was and therefore, how expensive it was to make, it made me question if the investment was really worth it on their end to get something that was just "fine" at the end of the day.

This remake of Little Mermaid just lost $106 Million at the box office for Disney.

I'm sure there are Sharp Pencil Boys and several executives now asking that same financial question you have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom