The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Gusey

See, what I’m trying to say is that it doesn’t have to be an either/or situation. Disney could have a website that can categorize its rides AND let you know what the ride actually IS… all in one clean, efficient entry. It really is possible! 😃
The list page is more like a contents page in a book, gives you a list of attractions and the need to knows basics like height requirements, warnings etc. If you want a description of the attraction, you got the attraction's page, which has a lot more information. If you include all that information on one page, there would be simply too much information to scroll through if you're looking towards the bottom of the list and there is a chance that too much info on that page would overwhelm the page's date, particularly with Disney's IT's reputation :)

Consumer

Naw, I’m still gonna blame Disney for following the dictation instead of trusting their own legacy and (IMO) not understanding what made them great in the first place. Just as (IMO) they don’t trust their own studio to generate great ideas, and instead go out and purchase already-established IPs… and no longer trust their Imaginaneers to create brilliant, original non-IP experiences, It’s almost as if Disney doesn’t wanna be Disney; they instead want to conform to the current mass norm…in my opinion. Just sayin’.
To be fair, I’ve seen the original stuff Disney puts out and it sucks.

Phroobar

Disney: "Sorry. But I'm going to have to ask for your Pixie Duster membership card."
iu

TP2000

Somehow I like the Tinkerbell ride the most out of all the Fantasy Spring rides lol

I've only seen a few short clips on my phone so far, but I have plans to sit down in front of the big screen this weekend and watch all of the ride-thrus at Tokyo's new expansion. Should be fun, and get me fired up for my return to Japan next year for the Osaka World's Fair and some associated train travel in the Land of the Rising Sun.

We've been talking how much $1.9 Billion spread over the next 10 years will bring to Disneyland Resort, but I wonder how much Tokyo spent on their Fantasy Springs expansion? I'll have to look that up.

Parteecia

The list page is more like a contents page in a book, gives you a list of attractions and the need to knows basics like height requirements, warnings etc. If you want a description of the attraction, you got the attraction's page, which has a lot more information. If you include all that information on one page, there would be simply too much information to scroll through if you're looking towards the bottom of the list and there is a chance that too much info on that page would overwhelm the page's date, particularly with Disney's IT's reputation :)
Yup. I'd rather sort first on attributes that might eliminate that attraction instead of be charmed by a ride description first and then find out that it's not appropriate.

McMickeyWorld

I've only seen a few short clips on my phone so far, but I have plans to sit down in front of the big screen this weekend and watch all of the ride-thrus at Tokyo's new expansion. Should be fun, and get me fired up for my return to Japan next year for the Osaka World's Fair and some associated train travel in the Land of the Rising Sun.

We've been talking how much $1.9 Billion spread over the next 10 years will bring to Disneyland Resort, but I wonder how much Tokyo spent on their Fantasy Springs expansion? I'll have to look that up.
Apparently 2.1 billion dollars :( though I'm not sure if this includes the hotel.

TP2000

Apparently 2.1 billion dollars :( though I'm not sure if this includes the hotel.

So that bought them one E Ticket (Frozen), two D's (Peter Pan and Rapunzel), and a spinner (Tinkerbell). Or is the Peter Pan thing considered an E? Or is Frozen considered a D?

Regardless, and I'll have to see when I watch the ride-thru's on the big screen, it bought them 4 rides. Four.

Something to think about with DisneylandForward spending around the same over the next 10 years or so. 🧐

ThemeParkTraveller

The budget for Fantasy Springs does include the hotel, which I'm estimating was at least $500 million.

So that bought them one E Ticket (Frozen), two D's (Peter Pan and Rapunzel), and a spinner (Tinkerbell). Or is the Peter Pan thing considered an E? Or is Frozen considered a D?

Regardless, and I'll have to see when I watch the ride-thru's on the big screen, it bought them 4 rides. Four.

Something to think about with DisneylandForward spending around the same over the next 10 years or so. 🧐

Internally, WDI considers Frozen and Peter Pan E-tickets, Rapunzel a D, and Tinkerbell a C.

Rich T

Not all of it. Great things sometimes happen. I’d like to see them concentrate on becoming consistently good again, rather than giving up and going shopping for other studios’ properties… which ends up diluting the brand.

Rich T

I guess it’s just a matter of preference. I’d like to see a design that doesn’t put inelegant, robotic-sounding labels front and center. In Bold type.

Imagine a menu where you search for entrees and you get a result like, “MEATLESS—GREEN—PURPLE—NO TREENUTS … ‘Moana’s Outrigger Surprise’… 300 Calories”

But it doesn’t tell you what it actually IS. You have to click to another page for that. And repeat that process for every item on the menu.

lazyboy97o

I guess it’s just a matter of preference. I’d like to see a design that doesn’t put inelegant, robotic-sounding labels front and center. In Bold type.

Imagine a menu where you search for entrees and you get a result like, “MEATLESS—GREEN—PURPLE—NO TREENUTS … ‘Moana’s Outrigger Surprise’… 300 Calories”

But it doesn’t tell you what it actually IS. You have to click to another page for that. And repeat that process for every item on the menu.
Except menus are organized in just the way you claim they are not. If there are only a few entree choices they’ll all be together, but they’re still listed separately from the appetizers and dessert. If there are many entrees then they get sorted groups into different categories like sandwiches or seafood. They often do have symbols to denote up front information such as an item being vegetarian. Sometimes there even different physical menus for drinks, specials, dessert and/or children.

But most importantly, how you design a webpage that has to work on a interactive screen that could be anywhere from 3” wide or 12” wide is completely different from how you design for a printed product.

Nland316

I’d much rather see an expanded version of the Tangled ride versus seeing anything Frozen related here at DLR.

It feels like the sleeper hit of the FS expansion out of all of the new additions.

waltography

Except menus are organized in just the way you claim they are not. If there are only a few entree choices they’ll all be together, but they’re still listed separately from the appetizers and dessert. If there are many entrees then they get sorted groups into different categories like sandwiches or seafood. They often do have symbols to denote up front information such as an item being vegetarian. Sometimes there even different physical menus for drinks, specials, dessert and/or children.

But most importantly, how you design a webpage that has to work on a interactive screen that could be anywhere from 3” wide or 12” wide is completely different from how you design for a printed product.
Can't believe I missed the discussion on UX lessons related to information architecture! So disappointed. 😂

Totally agree on all counts - I'm not saying Disney's great at organizing information on their sites and apps, but the way they present their attractions is inoffensive in my eyes. Perhaps they could move the tags to below the attraction and add them to pillboxes to make it clear they're tags for the ride:

Slide 4_3 - 1.png

Communicora

Premium Member
You are going to the expo?!?!! I went to the Asahi Expo in 2005 and I'm trying to figure out if I can get back there for Osaka's.

Communicora

Premium Member
Can't believe I missed the discussion on UX lessons related to information architecture! So disappointed. 😂

Totally agree on all counts - I'm not saying Disney's great at organizing information on their sites and apps, but the way they present their attractions is inoffensive in my eyes. Perhaps they could move the tags to below the attraction and add them to pillboxes to make it clear they're tags for the ride:

View attachment 784944
That is an improvement. I'd argue it should also have a short description above the tags.

Rich T

Except menus are organized in just the way you claim they are not. If there are only a few entree choices they’ll all be together, but they’re still listed separately from the appetizers and dessert. If there are many entrees then they get sorted groups into different categories like sandwiches or seafood. They often do have symbols to denote up front information such as an item being vegetarian. Sometimes there even different physical menus for drinks, specials, dessert and/or children…
In contrast to what I experience on DL’s current website, most restaurant web sites I visit do give me all the info I need about an item up front without my having to click through to another page. Including Universal Orlando’s Restaurant app entries (There are things that bother me about Universal’s app, but it does give me enough info about individual rides and eateries, efficiently presented on one page.)

Totally agree there are big differences between designing menus and brochures for screens vs print. I’m saying Disney can do better. I’ve seen better.

And, to be clear, I’m not aiming my criticisms at the people creating the pages; Disney’s app and websites work well and are visually pleasing. The site creators are just doing what Disney requests. and I personally think Disney—the corporation—in a lot of areas, currently has their priorities backwards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom