The Ultimate Disney Classics VIP Tour now available at the Magic Kingdom

The Mom

Premium Member
Again, a thread is being derailed by a small group of posters who refuse to stay on topic, and start interjecting personal issues into the discussion. You may think this is worth the money, or you may not. But don't try to convince everyone else to agree with you - say your piece and move on. Please stop, or people will be banned. And don't just take your little arguments to another thread. Thank you.

Laketravis

Looking at the offering from a strictly analytical viewpoint and I'm struck by several things:

1. The statement "Up to 10 of the most beloved attractions" followed only by two specific "must do's" and four "such as".
2. Meeting Mickey as "part of the tour"
3. Only offered on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays

Which leave me wondering why, on top of regular park admission, I would be compelled to pay almost 200% additional for? None of those elements are things I wouldn't be able to accomplish on my own especially on those particular days of the week without having to shell out $796 plus tax for a family of four to have a CM steer us towards under-utilized attractions with a back-door in-between guests waiting in the queue visit to see Mickey.

As others have pointed out, it's not for everyone. But begs the question - who is it for? What data did WDW have that would indicate a demand for this? The marketing collateral provides a bit of a clue:

".......designed to provide you with maximum fun while enjoying the quintessential Magic Kingdom Park experiences and attractions"

".......The four-hour tour is led by Disney VIP Tour Guides, who make navigating the park a breeze by providing you with the highest level of Disney’s world-renowned guest service while you enjoy many of the most beloved Magic Kingdom Park attractions carefree."

Those are pretty much the only needs statements I can find and they aren't very compelling. In fact it seems the only way WDW themselves could justify purchase of this package is by implying you won't be able to navigate the parks and enjoy typical, fundamental attractions (ie: quintessential) in a carefree manner on a Tuesday morning.

SorcererMC

just in theory some time waiting in line
the equivalent of paid FPs has got to be only a matter of weeks to months away.

I would welcome that - for medical reasons, ie joint/back pain. I'm not disabled (and look young and healthy), but if I could guarantee that I would get to do everything I wanted in 5-6 hours instead of 10 - that's a win for me and I'd pay it in a heartbeat. Actually I would be able to do more days in the parks as a result. And I don't think my circumstance is particularly unique.

So (@Laketravis) I think that their target audience for this is all wrong; they are trading on new family's not knowing any better about FP/planning, which I find distasteful. But they obviously can't sell it as being for the 'medically disadvantaged'. lol.

Last edited:

Laketravis

So (@Laketravis) I think that their target audience for this is all wrong; they are trading on new family's not knowing any better about FP/planning, which I find distasteful.....

I think that's exactly the case. It's a play on ignorance. Rather than educate the guest, let's acknowledge that the current system is inherently non-conducive to enjoyment and convenience and charge extra to show them where the attractions are. In fact, let's charge 10x the CM labor cost to do so for a family of four. These efforts to capitalize on systemic park weaknesses are, as you described, distasteful.

mousehockey37

I don't agree with 21 stamps but I do not see Disney going to a paid FP+ system, I could see them doing something along the lines of paying for extra Fastpasses but I do believe that everyone will always get the 3.

We never said you wouldn't still get your base 3 with admission. It's beyond that. That's what we're seeing. This tour is technically 10 FPs for $300, and everyone still has their original 3. So Disney may be fishing to see the break point on what additional passes could go for.

SorcererMC

We never said you wouldn't still get your base 3 with admission. It's beyond that. That's what we're seeing. This tour is technically 10 FPs for $300, and everyone still has their original 3. So Disney may be fishing to see the break point on what additional passes could go for.

A slight correction - this tour is $200 ($199+tax, + park admission). (Your point that they may be fishing or hitting the wall on these types of events stands). ETA: And if you were referring to total price, nevermind.

SorcererMC

Wrong. https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...the-ultimate-day-for-young-families-vip-tour/

The tour is offered Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays and lasts six to seven hours. Attractions and entertainment offerings subject to change. The cost is $299 per person, plus tax (theme park admission not included). Call 407-WDW-TOUR (939-8687) for reservations. You can also access the online VIP Tour Services brochure here for more info

That is the 2015 event. This is the 2017 one. https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...sney-classics-vip-tour-at-magic-kingdom-park/

SorcererMC

That's interesting if it was changed in January because I would think that is when they would be forecasting mid-2017 attendance. I'm sure there is a correlation between February announcements and future bookings eg +6 months to September. Maybe they introduce these so-called :cautious: new events on an annual schedule like with the seasonal parties.

21stamps

That's interesting if it was changed in January because I would think that is when they would be forecasting mid-2017 attendance. I'm sure there is a correlation between February announcements and future bookings eg +6 months to September. Maybe they introduce these so-called :cautious: new events on an annual schedule like with the seasonal parties.

This tour replaced a similar tour. Same MK rides, right? But, it took out AK (and HS).
The Ultimate Day of Thrills tour took out AK as well.
The other "pay to ride" offerings i.e EMM (At both MK and HS), Star Wars Tour, and even the Disney After Hours, are all pretty much gone.

Disney has actually reduced the "pay to skip lines" offerings recently. Does that mean they're finished? Or are replacements coming? Why has Animal Kingdom been removed from 2 tours? Is something exclusive to AK coming out?

Last edited by a moderator:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I
This tour replaced a similar tour. Same MK rides, right? But, it took out AK (and HS).
The Ultimate Day of Thrills tour also took out AK as well.
The other "pay for fast pass" offerings i.e EMM (At both MK and HS), Star Wars Tour, and even the Disney After Hours, are all pretty much gone.

Disney has actually reduced the "pay to skip lines" offerings recently. Does that mean they're finished? Or are replacements coming? Why has Animal Kingdom been removed from 2 tours? Is something exclusive to AK coming out?
There's more to come. Between the mymagic debacle not doing what was pitched (Jay, where are you now?) and the downscaling of any plans to roll it out elsewhere, plus a remit from Burbank for the US parks to between them make savings of a quite astronomical sum it's going to continue to be 50 dollars here, 600 dollars there in a desperate attempt to balance the books for the board.

Coupled with the stark realisation (finally) that the parks, and WDW parks in particular, need a lot of work the money has to come from somewhere. And it's not executive bonuses.

21stamps

There's more to come. Between the mymagic debacle not doing what was pitched (Jay, where are you now?) and the downscaling of any plans to roll it out elsewhere, plus a remit from Burbank for the US parks to between them make savings of a quite astronomical sum it's going to continue to be 50 dollars here, 600 dollars there in a desperate attempt to balance the books for the board.

Coupled with the stark realisation (finally) that the parks, and WDW parks in particular, need a lot of work the money has to come from somewhere. And it's not executive bonuses.
That's what I suspect. Do you know why Animal Kingdom is no longer part of any tours? Are they rolling something out when Pandora opens?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I was Googling VIP Tour the other day and I was surprised how many sites there are offering unofficial VIP tours of the parks.

21stamps

That I don't know. But a wholesale overhaul of "tours" wouldn't surprise me.
I'm extremely curious to see what comes out. It seemed like the Fantasyland mornings sold out pretty often...I can't imagine them just abandoning a source of revenue.
ETA- hopefully they're reducing the price across the board as they did with this revamped Families/Classics tour. Maybe surveys have provided feedback that people would rather spend less hours on a tour and buy their own meal afterwards.lol

Last edited:

SorcererMC

Right - they're being used as a 'quick fix' for other problems (eg lack of new attractions/adding capacity and demand surplus). And they can say it's new and market it to get a bump in $/attendance.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm extremely curious to see what comes out. It seemed like the Fantasyland mornings sold out pretty often...I can't imagine them just abandoning a source of revenue.
I do know the overall idea of raising extra money with all these.... upcharges... hasn't gone as well as those who proposed them hoped. Shall we say.

Either they're rethinking and reforming or we're going to see a more cohesive collection of additional options.

21stamps

RoL probably. (Hazarding a guess)
I personally would never pay for any "ride availability" in AK, even if it included a show.lol. But, it seems like they may be gearing up for something.
I'd love to see/ hear how the Ultimate Day of Thrills has been doing since the switch to Soarin', I'd think a lot of people would be upset about that. Totally guessing though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom