Just what everyone wanted a Death Star Spaceship Earth

A W Reezy

I thought the whole thing was lame. Disappointed :(
Agreed. Maybe I was a little too hype about it. For some reason, I was expecting something crazy extravagant. I agree with an above comment, it looked like someone threw a big rock and put a dent in Spaceship Earth. Nothing more.

DABIGCHEEZ

Loooooong gone are the days when Disney hyped something up and then WOW'd us. Mediocrity and lameness now rule the days at WDW. Makes me wonder if SWland and Avatarland will even WOW us or be like, "well that was... OK."

raymusiccity

Loooooong gone are the days when Disney hyped something up and then WOW'd us. Mediocrity and lameness now rule the days at WDW. Makes me wonder if SWland and Avatarland will even WOW us or be like, "well that was... OK."

image.jpeg

rickdrat

The reality is nobody was looking for the source when it was happening. The whole sequence of the firing lasted less than 5 seconds so everyone was focused on the death star image. I went back and looked at the video I shot of the first time it fired and there is a second green laser point on the lower left side of SSE that seems to confirm it was fired from outside, most likely atop the monorail platform as it's the most accessible location. The reality is, that's the most practical and budget sensible location for something you're just doing quickly like that.

I'm not an expert on Disney topography, but as big as SE is, given the steepness of the beam angle during the first shots it looks to me like an internal source. One of the shot angles does look admittedly flatter which might indicate a roof mounted source. It's hard to get a clear point of reference from the video.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I'm not an expert on Disney topography, but as big as SE is, given the steepness of the beam angle during the first shots it looks to me like an internal source. One of the shot angles does look admittedly flatter which might indicate a roof mounted source. It's hard to get a clear point of reference from the video.

I'm. not going to comment on the topic after this because it's already gone past how much I actually care about the topic (beam origination). The angle of the beam is deceptive due to the off center location it was being photographed from. The result is an illusion that the beam line is much higher than it appears in most photographs (mine included) you might have seen. There is no doubt in my mind that it, along with the projection mapping of the Death Star came from atop some structure at the front entry area of the park.

DisneyCane

Vacant land is taxed at a lower rate than buildings for real property. Most states also have a tangible personal property tax(including FL) on "stuff". This is why you may see car dealers have tax man inventory reduction sale depending on the state you live in.

The land is not "vacant." It is part of the theme park. While you would pay lower property tax if you had 2 homes on your property and demolished one, I doubt the taxing authorities consider it the same way for a theme park. The value of Disney's Hollywood Studios, from a real estate standpoint, doesn't go down that much by demolishing a few empty buildings. They weren't leasing the space.

Tangible personal property tax would apply to "stuff" inside the buildings, not the infrastructure itself.

asianway

The land is not "vacant." It is part of the theme park. While you would pay lower property tax if you had 2 homes on your property and demolished one, I doubt the taxing authorities consider it the same way for a theme park. The value of Disney's Hollywood Studios, from a real estate standpoint, doesn't go down that much by demolishing a few empty buildings. They weren't leasing the space.

Tangible personal property tax would apply to "stuff" inside the buildings, not the infrastructure itself.
That is exactly how taxing authorities consider it. Educate yourself.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Wait, i thought the ride was getting something new. All they did was project images? Lame!

So... the event was hyped up in your mind because you got the information wrong regarding what this event was all about and then when you find out the reality, you blame Disney for not doing something as dramatic as you wrongly thought was going to happen?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
If I had paid extra to see it, I might have been disappointed. But watching from the comfort of my office chair, warm cup of Earl Grey by my side, and a nice crispy biscuit to munch, I found the whole thing rather amusing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom