Indiana Jones 5 Now Pushed Back to 2021

TP2000

And that right there is the real problem with this "pay-it-forward" scenario. If theaters aren't making money from concessions they go out of business. They aren't getting enough from their cut of the Box Office to remain in business. Thus if all studios move to this model, it'll end up closing theaters and crushing the system.

Okay, what about this for Wish this November...

"Wish It Forward this joyous holiday season. Purchase a ticket to Disney's Wish to gift to a stranger who needs to believe in the power of wishing, including a medium popcorn and large fountain beverage of their choice, for the joyous price of $19 per person. Spread the magic of Disney's Wish during this merry and magical season of light and wondrous holidays."

Then you get to buy a stranger a ticket and a trip to the snack bar, and neither may never be used. Win-win-win.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Okay, what about this for Wish this November...

"Wish It Forward this joyous holiday season. Purchase a ticket to Disney's Wish to gift to a stranger who needs to believe in the power of wishing, including a medium popcorn and large fountain beverage of their choice, for the joyous price of $19 per person. Spread the magic of Disney's Wish during this merry and magical season of light and wondrous holidays."

Then you get to buy a stranger a ticket and a trip to the snack bar, and neither may never be used. Win-win-win.
Maybe you need to go to a regular theater chain and check out prices before you start making suggestions like this.

Medium popcorn and large drink at my local theater costs $13.50, add into that $15 ticket (because I don't live in a rural area with $10 movies) and you're way over the $19 you propose. Its expensive to go to the movies, and I go every week. Imagine a family of 4, having to spend way over $100 for tickets and some snacks just to go to one.

Its why that model is not sustainable if every studio decided to do it. And why honestly I don't see Angel Studios being allowed to do it much more if theaters are really empty and losing money on the deal.

TP2000

Maybe you need to go to a regular theater chain and check out prices before you start making suggestions like this.

Medium popcorn and large drink at my local theater costs $13.50, add into that $15 ticket (because I don't live in a rural area with $10 movies) and you're way over the $19 you propose.

I was just assuming that not everyone in every theater buys a medium popcorn and a large drink, but that snack bar managers hope they do.

Let's Wish It Forward for $25 then. It is the merry season of joyousness and light, after all. Give a little, won't you?

$25 bucks. A movie ticket plus popcorn plus fountain beverage to a complete stranger.

If you truly believe in the power of wishes, you'd do it. Or are you a bad person who doesn't like giving?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I was just assuming that not everyone in every theater buys a medium popcorn and a large drink, but that snack bar managers hope they do.

Let's Wish It Forward for $25 then. It is the merry season of joyousness and light, after all. Give a little, won't you?

$25 bucks. A movie ticket plus popcorn plus fountain beverage to a complete stranger.

If you truly believe in the power of wishes, you'd do it. Or are you a bad person who doesn't like giving?

I don't see that working, sorry this model just doesn't appear to be sustainable.

TP2000

I don't see that working, sorry this model just doesn't appear to be sustainable.

Dammit. :(

I really want Wish It Forward to be a thing for this upcoming joyous season of magic and light, including popcorn & fountain beverage.

I'm going to email someone right now...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So much of Disney's streaming play are kids replaying it for the songs and free trials. Do you think that Encanto had unique play from all paying customers. People get free trials for a week or month all of the time or password share with no intention of buying or watching what someone shared with them or keeping a service.
So then, that must apply to all other popular movies by other companies on other streamers, too, right? There's no such thing as a popular movie thatis widely enjoyed by the public, but actually a small segment playing them over and over again for free, right?

And every pop song from every artist is just free listens from free trials and password sharing, right?

celluloid

So then, that must apply to all other popular movies by other companies on other streamers, too, right? There's no such thing as a popular movie thatis widely enjoyed by the public, but actually a small segment playing them over and over again for free, right?

And every pop song from every artist is just free listens from free trials and password sharing, right?

I was pointing out the a absurdity of it. Not condoning it.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Returning to this interesting thought from last week...

Here's where M:I and Indy 5 landed at the box office vs. box office for their opening weekends. M:I has done $80 Million in domestic box office since previews started last week, and officially made $80 Million domestic thus far. What's interesting is the disparity in overseas box office between M:I and Indy 5, as Indy 5 continues to struggle overseas but M:I has basically doubled its domestic box office overseas. Only Americans appreciate archeology it seems?

Also thrown into the mix for a fun comparison is the adjusted for inflation numbers for the previous M:I and Indy films.

View attachment 730345

Interesting to see... While there is relative party domestically, no doubt MI7 is over-performing internationally as you noted.

As these numbers bear out I still see MI7 struggling to be the blockbuster that Marverick was, even though I saw it and quite enjoyed it. This seems to be performing much more akin to past MI films, though.

For the record I also don’t think IJ5 was a bad film as is being made out to be. Certainly had its moments and arguably better than crystal skull. I think we’re just seeing an overall softening of the box office and franchise fatigue in particular.

BuddyThomas

Yes, I used the video of the "full theater" for Sound of Freedom (and there's no real proof that's a Sound of Freedom theater anyway, it could be a year old video showing the Maverick theater last summer for all we know) as an example of how anyone can show a single Social Media item as evidence that something is happening.

It may or may not be happening at all.

I rarely go to movies, so I could care less what the "precedence" it sets is. I imagine other studios will start trying this "But A Ticket For A Stranger - Pay It Forward" gimmick too.

But what shenanigans can you impact with box office reporting? Are you saying that the #2 spot at the domestic box office this weekend and its $27 Million in ticket sales didn't actually exist? That Angel Studios won't actually see its cut of those ticket sales?

How does this $27 Million not exist in real cash money if the sales were collected by 3,265 theaters across the country?

View attachment 730373
You rarely go to the movies so you could care less?????????????????? But you won’t stop posting about movies you have not seen! Brilliant!

TP2000

You rarely go to the movies so you could care less?????????????????? But you won’t stop posting about movies you have not seen! Brilliant!

Isn't it funny what one becomes interested in during retirement? 🤣

I've been on this board for almost 20 years and didn't even know this little corner existed until Disney's mega-budget movies started flopping suddenly a year ago. Then it hit me how impactful these mega-budget flops were to Disney's corporate bottom line, and I started getting interested in the way the Hollywood box office works and such.

And I was fascinated how/why Disney was flushing so much money away on movies, when the Parks are nickel and diming us all to death.

I also recently started watching hour-long videos on YouTube of guys who carefully restore and repair old Rolex watches. o_O Also fascinating and new to me, but we don't have a watch repair forum here, so I'll just keep that latest enthusiasm of mine to myself.

ABQ

Isn't it funny what one becomes interested in during retirement? 🤣

I've been on this board for almost 20 years and didn't even know this little corner existed until Disney's mega-budget movies started flopping suddenly a year ago. Then it hit me how impactful these mega-budget flops were to Disney's corporate bottom line, and I started getting interested in the way the Hollywood box office works and such.

And I was fascinated how/why Disney was flushing so much money away on movies, when the Parks are nickel and diming us all to death.

I also recently started watching hour-long videos on YouTube of guys who carefully restore and repair old Rolex watches. o_O Also fascinating and new to me, but we don't have a watch repair forum here, so I'll just keep that latest enthusiasm of mine to myself.
ha! same in many things there. Wristwatch Revival? It's fun indeed.

Disney Analyst

I think we’re just seeing an overall softening of the box office and franchise fatigue in particular.

I also think it's in line with the "revenge" travel we saw as destinations began to reopen.

Lots of people did revenge movie going last year, and now a lot of people are focusing on other things to do and other areas to spend money. Add in the current cost of living, also a lot of people focusing on free / cheap activities.

You are seeing the same thing with live theatre and entertainment, there is a softening happening right now.

Lockdown times taught a lot of people that there are alternatives to these experiences, and in the case of movie theatres, you can often wait it out to stream or rent at a later date.

TP2000

This weekend's box office is going to be brutal for Indy 5. Oppenheimer will likely take whatever is left of Indy's older customer demographic.

Going into this weekend, Indy 5 is barely.... hanging... on... to a very weak 3rd place. It will be interesting to see where Indy 5 lands domestically and globally by this Sunday evening. I'll update that box office here on Sunday, but until then... buckle up Mr. Ford.

Wednesday 2.jpg

TP2000

This is just really rough for Disney, and it's going to leave a dent in profits that can't be buffed out. 🫤

Here's the box office update for Indy 5 after this past weekend, and Indy is still operating deeply in the red. With a ridiculously bloated production budget of $300 Million, plus using an extremely conservative global marketing budget of only $100 Million, and using the 60/40 ticket take for domestic/overseas box office, Indy 5 is currently operating at a loss of $253 Million. Oof.

Indy 5 Mid-Summer Box Office.jpg

Last edited:

wtyy21

This is just really rough for Disney, and it's going to leave a dent in profits that can't be buffed out. 🫤

Here's the box office update for Indy 5 after this past weekend, and Indy is still operating deeply in the red. With a ridiculously bloated production budget of $300 Million, plus using an extremely conservative global marketing budget of only $100 Million, and using the 60/40 ticket take for domestic/overseas box office, Indy 5 is currently operating at a loss of $253 Million. Oof.

View attachment 732411
Insane, what the movie's loss compared to Strange World and John Crater?

BrianLo

Insane, what the movie's loss compared to Strange World and John Crater?

We should get a definitive answer on this one next year with Deadline. Most of the other Disney movies are not write downs this year which puts us in the position of not seeing most of them in either his 'losing' or 'winning' competition.

Strange World and John Carter were both written down 200 million, which I think are basically the worst Disney performers. This one I think will be a ~150 million write down, ultimately. All of these being everything being tallied up post theatrically included. Unless the D+ streaming rights are shockingly out of whack on this one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom