Disney Survey on implementing a $15 resort fee

note2001

Thank you! Also StarWars Land is MUCH closer then a decade away. 5 years tops.
2020, Star Wars Land promotion: Kylo Ren will gently awaken you from sleep in person on check out day, 6:30am sharp.
Rates are reminiscent of 2015! 4 night/5 day Magical trips only $2015*. Book now!
( * Daily magic room fee $ 350/day )

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The Lifetime drink cups actually do exist however the last one was sold around 1998, I have a couple but they are so old and fragile they are now pencil holders in my office and have been since 2004 or so.

I believe that it was @WDW1974 who actually broke the news about the potential sale to Prince Alaweed.

EDIT: Even though the cups were 'Lifetime' they were still only good at the resort where they were sold and back then EACH resort had it's own unique cup design.
Sometimes you say some crazy stuff and sometimes you are serious so I wasn't sure which one this was. I knew the Prince was involved with Paris but never knew there was a serious plan to sell the domestic parks to him as well. Learn something new every day.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The entire board hosted him at WDW at that time and it was "known to be true" then. Not sure who leaked it, but you can probably search it here. I remember when he was at WDW and the discussion was going on. I am sure that someone here can cite the source or press release.
I found the thread on it. That was before my time here. So the board hosting him at WDW was "known to be true" or that Iger attempted to sell the domestic parks to him.

asianway

The entire board hosted him at WDW at that time and it was "known to be true" then. Not sure who leaked it, but you can probably search it here. I remember when he was at WDW and the discussion was going on. I am sure that someone here can cite the source or press release.
I believe someone Is in possession of the board meeting agenda #dumpsterdive

prberk

Sometimes you say some crazy stuff and sometimes you are serious so I wasn't sure which one this was. I knew the Prince was involved with Paris but never knew there was a serious plan to sell the domestic parks to him as well. Learn something new every day.

I found the thread on it. That was before my time here. So the board hosting him at WDW was "known to be true" or that Iger attempted to sell the domestic parks to him.

As to whether or not it was a serious attempt to sell, I think it would probably be more correct to say, in business parlance, that they were "doing their due diligence" in perhaps considering an offer -- even if the offer or idea turned out to be a bad idea. (I think he was/is a major player in the Four Seasons resorts, and had major influence in the deal to sell the prime land on Bay Lake that became Golden Oak and Four Seasons. Not really sure of that, but I think you will find that to be true.)

But as for "due diligence," often companies' boards of directors will have to consider legitimate offers to purchase or buy out assets in order to show shareholders that they are giving due consideration of all possibilities, not just protecting management. I remembered thinking at that time that this was what they were doing -- considering a legitimate proposal, but that it would be demonstrated to be not in their best interest. The proposal can come from an outside offer, or it can come from internal sources that suggest that they should consider putting a unit up for sale.

Anyhow, I think reason prevailed -- in that they realized how integrated the parks and resorts are to their intellectual (entertainment) properties, and that it behooved them to maintain the control that comes with ownership, especially of such huge and iconic real estate and business properties. Any such sale, especially in Florida, would likely be more of a mess than they wanted to do. (I am sure that even the makeup of Reedy Creek Improvement District would be affected by a sale of the parks and resorts to someone other than the Walt Disney Company.) Perhaps a lot of lawyers would make money, but not so much the company.

The last paragraph was my own thought, but overall I think what really happened what just taking proper consideration of a proposal, however unlikely.

Nmoody1

If you can spend $545 a night for a Disney hotel room in the USA, then I would say that you either have too much money or don't know the value of a dollar. I have stayed at true 4 and 5 star resorts all over the world for LESS than half of that. I'm sorry, but that is just insane.

Just for comparison I have found a room at the Ritz in London for 417 usd in april and a room at the versace hotel I'm dubai next week for 350 usd. As far as I am aware neither charge a resort fee.

BrianV

Just for comparison I have found a room at the Ritz in London for 417 usd in april and a room at the versace hotel I'm dubai next week for 350 usd. As far as I am aware neither charge a resort fee.

At Wdw you pay for location and convenience. No one thinks these are elite hotels at the level of the Ritz. And the Ritz in London you referd to would gladly charge 600 if the market would bear it.

Since all we want is a good location at wdw, I prefer the Swan and Dolphin.

Figments Friend

That's awesome. We typically go to Florida off season (late summer) and tickets generally run us 280-320, if I'm being honest. I only go non stop and almost only go. Jet blue. When I researched going to California it was quite a bit more but maybe that is not quite the same off season time.

Didn't know about the Walt Disney museum. Cool. It's on my list of places to go now!!

JetBlue flies non-stop from Boston ( and i believe also New York ) to Long Beach airport in California.
Great little classy airport.
Definitely look into it.
Off-season rates are your friend!
;)

When in San Francisco, DO visit The Walt Disney Family Museum.
Some very neat displays, and if you time your visit right you might even get to attend a special event.
Lots more info here on the official website -

www.waltdisney.org

Happy Travels...to the West Coast !

:)

-

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Unfortunately for all of us it seems that today's crazy is tomorrows operational reality at WDW recently.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As to whether or not it was a serious attempt to sell, I think it would probably be more correct to say, in business parlance, that they were "doing their due diligence" in perhaps considering an offer -- even if the offer or idea turned out to be a bad idea. (I think he was/is a major player in the Four Seasons resorts, and had major influence in the deal to sell the prime land on Bay Lake that became Golden Oak and Four Seasons. Not really sure of that, but I think you will find that to be true.)

But as for "due diligence," often companies' boards of directors will have to consider legitimate offers to purchase or buy out assets in order to show shareholders that they are giving due consideration of all possibilities, not just protecting management. I remembered thinking at that time that this was what they were doing -- considering a legitimate proposal, but that it would be demonstrated to be not in their best interest. The proposal can come from an outside offer, or it can come from internal sources that suggest that they should consider putting a unit up for sale.

Anyhow, I think reason prevailed -- in that they realized how integrated the parks and resorts are to their intellectual (entertainment) properties, and that it behooved them to maintain the control that comes with ownership, especially of such huge and iconic real estate and business properties. Any such sale, especially in Florida, would likely be more of a mess than they wanted to do. (I am sure that even the makeup of Reedy Creek Improvement District would be affected by a sale of the parks and resorts to someone other than the Walt Disney Company.) Perhaps a lot of lawyers would make money, but not so much the company.

The last paragraph was my own thought, but overall I think what really happened what just taking proper consideration of a proposal, however unlikely.
Good info. Thanks to you and @ford91exploder for the history lesson. It was a little before my time here and never made the mainstream news so I was unaware. Based on the recent success of the parks that would have been an epic fail for Iger if they actually did get an offer and go through with it.

Nmoody1

At Wdw you pay for location and convenience. No one thinks these are elite hotels at the level of the Ritz. And the Ritz in London you referd to would gladly charge 600 if the market would bear it.

Since all we want is a good location at wdw, I prefer the Swan and Dolphin.

I forget that the Ritz in London offers neither a great location nor convenience.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Angbang, a Chinese insurance company, has dropped over $20B this year buying up US hotel properties.

If WDW is a hotel company with theme parks....

Selling the parks would give Iger the cash to buy a distribution network for Disney IP, Noting that Disney has become more of a IP holding company with media production units (ABC, ESPN Pixar, WDAS) more and more the parks are a square peg in a round hole.

Disney's main weakness compared to competitors is that it has no captive distribution channels for it's IP.

BrianV

I forget that the Ritz in London offers neither a great location nor convenience.
Apparently you missed what I said. The Ritz is charging what they can for the location, convenience and market. If they could charge more, they would. They are not a charity.

BernardandBianca

Angbang, a Chinese insurance company, has dropped over $20B this year buying up US hotel properties.

If WDW is a hotel company with theme parks....

Apparently, Anbang already owns Waldorf Astoria, is in the process of acquiring Strategic Hotels, and today made an offer for Starwood (Sheraton) outbidding Marriott. Could pick up a nice chunk of hotel properties, and have theme parks thrown in for kicks.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Apparently, Anbang already owns Waldorf Astoria, is in the process of acquiring Strategic Hotels, and today made an offer for Starwood (Sheraton) outbidding Marriott. Could pick up a nice chunk of hotel properties, and have theme parks thrown in for kicks.

The've got to get the money OUT of China somehow. I have a Chinese friend whose parents keep offering to buy her a house for the same reason they are entrepeneurs in China but they dont want to invest there and a house for their daughter would appreciate in value greatly especially gven the market.

KeithVH

Selling the parks would give Iger the cash <SNIP>

Disney's main weakness compared to competitors is that it has no captive distribution channels for it's IP.

Pardon my lack of knowledge but isn't that type of control that got the movie industry into trouble? They controlled the distribution channel and the delivery system and the government said that was unfair? Or something like that?

Nubs70

Anbang valuation has grown enormously over the last 12 from roughly $60 million to over several 100's of Billions. The CEO is married to the grand daughter of Deng Xiaoping, the former head of the CCP.

Goes to show it's not what you know but who you .....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Pardon my lack of knowledge but isn't that type of control that got the movie industry into trouble? They controlled the distribution channel and the delivery system and the government said that was unfair? Or something like that?

That was under a completely different antitrust regime, Disney's biggest competition is NBCU/Comcast, If Disney were to gain effective control of say TWC it would become an even more dominant media powerhouse as it would then be the second largest cable provider company with direct control of digital distribution channels (Brighthouse) as well as owning the internet pipe to about 35% of US households.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Anbang valuation has grown enormously over the last 12 from roughly $60 million to over several 100's of Billions. The CEO is married to the grand daughter of Deng Xiaoping, the former head of the CCP.

Goes to show it's not what you know but who you .....

Know. and not even in a biblical sense as 'marriages of convenience' are quite common among the Chinese CP elite.

This is how China works everything there is based on personal relationships not law and contracts like in the west.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom