News New security measures

SoupBone

I am very much in support of the increased security measures, but my issue is that the whole bag riders this line, non-bag riders this line, random security pulls (which I was chosen for EVERY SINGLE DAY) needs some serious efficiency standards to be written. There are ways that you can keep your security high and still have an efficient flow through those lines. We waited for 40 minutes in the EPCOT lines last week, and I watched and studied the lines, and I couldn't believe just how inefficient they were. I have no real ideas for making them run smoother, but I can tell you that the current setup simply isn't working. Though maybe Disney isn't interested in security efficiency.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
I am very much in support of the increased security measures, but my issue is that the whole bag riders this line, non-bag riders this line, random security pulls (which I was chosen for EVERY SINGLE DAY) needs some serious efficiency standards to be written. There are ways that you can keep your security high and still have an efficient flow through those lines. We waited for 40 minutes in the EPCOT lines last week, and I watched and studied the lines, and I couldn't believe just how inefficient they were. I have no real ideas for making them run smoother, but I can tell you that the current setup simply isn't working. Though maybe Disney isn't interested in security efficiency.

One thing that would help at EPCOT is to have anyone arriving by monorail skip the security screening. If you are on the monorail, you have already been screened somewhere. It's crazy to have to screen them again. I thought this would have been resolved already.

SoupBone

One thing that would help at EPCOT is to have anyone arriving by monorail skip the security screening. If you are on the monorail, you have already been screened somewhere. It's crazy to have to screen them again. I thought this would have been resolved already.

Definitely. I noticed that at least the Magic Kingdom was doing it, and it looked like it did help in reducing some of those lines.

SoupBone

Maybe making you wait longer is part of the security measures, to see if you become agitated* or act suspiciously :p

* not including from heat, crowds, or waiting in lines

"Rufus, we have a guy talking to his Donald Duck hat, telling it calm down. I think we have an issue at the bag check in line! He obviously doesn't know who Donald Duck is!"

Rob562

It's been said that this is part of a long-term plan, but requires a redesign of the entire entrance plaza. That obviously hasn't started yet, though it's presumed it would go hand in hand with the "central spine" redesign of Epcot.

Once all those things are done, you'd theoretically be able to get on the monorail at the Poly, transfer at the TTC, ride to Epcot, enter and walk through the park, exit at the International Gateway, ride the gondola to the Studios (with a transfer at CBR) and enter the Studios, all with only having gone through security once way back at the Poly monorail platform.

-Rob

davis_unoxx

With all the shootings that have been going on lately, I remember reading online a few years ago that there is armed guards in the parks. Like with snipers, or heavy duty guns. Can anyone attest to this? I think with the popularity of Disney as a destination there should be military style security backstage.

_caleb

It would be awesome if they built hidden fencing and barriers (like they use to keep the animals in DAK) around the parks. I know it’d be too expensive, but the cheap wire fencing looks bad.

trainplane3

I was given a hint that there is now a new security force that has the job of watching the current "regular" Disney security? Sort of a "we're making sure you're doing your job correctly and will step in if needed" group. I'm not sure how true it is but apparently they just started this about 2-3 weeks ago.

If it is true, then it explains the non-uniformed, ear-pieced people hovering/staring at the checkpoints.

Edit: Please ignore, incorrect.

Last edited:

matt9112

'Lax' Security At TwitchCon Causes Anxiety In Wake Of Deadly Shooting
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/twitchcon-security-anxiety_us_5bd4eb9ce4b055bc948c9dde

Saw this today and it reminded me of the threads here about security theatre. Seems people want to be inconvenienced by security because it really does make them feel safer.

huff post and California so its really you know....if it prioritized security over speed you would have an article about how people waited hours to get in. (as has been the case at many cons)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I was given a hint that there is now a new security force that has the job of watching the current "regular" Disney security? Sort of a "we're making sure you're doing your job correctly and will step in if needed" group. I'm not sure how true it is but apparently they just started this about 2-3 weeks ago.

If it is true, then it explains the non-uniformed, ear-pieced people hovering/staring at the checkpoints.

The uniformed security is just a part of the whole picture, its always been in depth both visible and invisible. Speed isnt a driving factor.

peter11435

The non-uniformed, ear pieced security have been around since the beginning. It’s always been part of the process.

Last edited:

s8film40

Saw this today and it reminded me of the threads here about security theatre. Seems people want to be inconvenienced by security because it really does make them feel safer.
I would rather be inconvenienced by real security than security theater.

Seems like Universal has struck the best balance. Their security check is actually effective since they send everyone through a metal detector. They also don’t rely on employees to sift through bags and instead send them all through scanners. To top all that off it’s very fast. If your prepared most times you can essentially walk through without even stopping.

The “undercover” security has always been there it’s nothing new.

Marc Davis Fan

Ironically, the threat of negative press about inadequate security measures might be what motivates them to do more.

We know that sending 100% of people through the metal detector and simultaneous bag x-ray is feasible, as Uni shows.

But also, why are the sniffing dogs only around intermittently? Why not make their presence - or a swabbing/puffing device - a permanent part of all security entrance areas? They can do similar swabbing/puffing of vehicles at all of the areas where they’re already being stopped (parking area entrances, resort entrances...).

Yet here’s the big problem: They really don’t want the negative publicity that TSA gets about inconveniencing people and even making people feel uncomfortable. (For example, what happens when the metal detector keeps going off on someone? How about people with metal braces and such? There’s no pat down team, is there? So what do they do?) One day, superior screening technology will surely solve this, but until then...?

lazyboy97o

Seems like Universal has struck the best balance. Their security check is actually effective since they send everyone through a metal detector. They also don’t rely on employees to sift through bags and instead send them all through scanners. To top all that off it’s very fast. If your prepared most times you can essentially walk through without even stopping.
What makes Universal effective but not airports that do similar scans?

s8film40

What makes Universal effective but not airports that do similar scans?
Well that’s what makes airports effective, it would be much worse if they adopted Disney’s security measures. Just imagine if TSA had to manually search all the bags, the wait would be hours and then if they just randomly sent a quarter of the passengers through metal detectors there would be lots of people carrying weapons on planes.

Theme park guests are carrying less luggage and security should naturally be easier and more efficient than airport security. So that’s why Universal is quicker than the airport, Disney on the other hand at times not so much.

lazyboy97o

Well that’s what makes airports effective, it would be much worse if they adopted Disney’s security measures. Just imagine if TSA had to manually search all the bags, the wait would be hours and then if they just randomly sent a quarter of the passengers through metal detectors there would be lots of people carrying weapons on planes.

Theme park guests are carrying less luggage and security should naturally be easier and more efficient than airport security. So that’s why Universal is quicker than the airport, Disney on the other hand at times not so much.
I wasn’t asking about speed. Internal testing shows airport security to fail 80 - 90% of the time. In no other field is that considered an effective success rate. What is Universal doing differently that makes their scans actually effective?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom