Kali River Rapids closing for 5 week refurbishment January-February 2016

raven

I've seen this one come out of refurb just the same as it went in right down to rafts not being scrubbed down. Flip of a coin annually if they do anything. Sometimes it is just cutting back some of the overgrown landscaping.
This used to be a nightly obligation. Cut backs?

It would indeed be nice to think they're prepping it for nighttime operation by bringing back effects...
I've ridden it at night and it's awesome! You can't see where you are going which adds to heightened thrills.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
And how do you know nothing gets done? You seem to be basing your opinion on the fact that you don't see changes and what you read on the Internet. You can't see behind the scenes maintenance on technical systems, ride infrastructure etc.
I am noticing you didn't answer my question. Can't back up your claims?

And here is a Kali rehab success story lol

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/kali-river-rapids-reopens-and-guess-what.860202/

So much for accomplishing necessary refurbishments.

Guess you are going to tell me they Fixed the Yeti on Everest but I can't see it because it was invisible to guests? Those technical issues and infrastructure really happened and Yeti is back? Hallelujah spread the word.

I have seen plenty not happen during refurbishments year after year. Dinosaur, Energy, Splash for years with broken animatronics, non-dancing water until chunks of the mountain started falling in load area from years of leaking pipes. The leaking pipes and visible decay to Maelstrom in Norway year after year.

I see a monorail going down for maintenance, still it continues to breakdown. The monorail goes down so often nobody even bothers to report about it because it is as unreliable as Dwarf and Test Track despite the rehabs for technical issues and infrastructure rehabs.

How did the months of rehab at Blizzard Beach go? Or did the major slides that were down before rehab still have to go down after the rehab? Didn't they have to still close the park because of unresolved tech issues? Not a fan of Disney Quest for years, talk about a lack of necessary maintenance and technical issues. Did you know that Pirates is now a 'wet' ride after refurb? Flooding boats, great rehab there.

peter11435

I am noticing you didn't answer my question. Can't back up your claims?

And here is a Kali rehab success story lol

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/kali-river-rapids-reopens-and-guess-what.860202/

So much for accomplishing necessary refurbishments.

Guess you are going to tell me they Fixed the Yeti on Everest but I can't see it because it was invisible to guests? Those technical issues and infrastructure really happened and Yeti is back? Hallelujah spread the word.

I have seen plenty not happen during refurbishments year after year. Dinosaur, Energy, Splash for years with broken animatronics, non-dancing water until chunks of the mountain started falling in load area from years of leaking pipes. The leaking pipes and visible decay to Maelstrom in Norway year after year.

I see a monorail going down for maintenance, still it continues to breakdown. The monorail goes down so often nobody even bothers to report about it because it is as unreliable as Dwarf and Test Track despite the rehabs for technical issues and infrastructure rehabs.

How did the months of rehab at Blizzard Beach go? Or did the major slides that were down before rehab still have to go down after the rehab? Didn't they have to still close the park because of unresolved tech issues? Not a fan of Disney Quest for years, talk about a lack of necessary maintenance and technical issues. Did you know that Pirates is now a 'wet' ride after refurb? Flooding boats, great rehab there.

Believe what ever you want. Doesn't make you right.

I never said everything gets fixed in these refurbs. I said stuff gets done. Which it does. That doesn't mean everything gets done.

Believe what ever you want. Doesn't make you right.

I never said everything gets fixed in these refurbs. I said stuff gets done. Which it does. That doesn't mean everything gets done.
Sure, stuff may get done, but backstage stuff is iffy on whether or not it will improve guest experience. In some cases (Buzz, Test Track, Pirates), things get worse for the guest. Pirates is near unbearable because of how wet you get! I get more wet on Pirates then on Splash Mountain! I'm not riding a water ride, I'm riding a dark ride! Buzz barely works a quarter of the time. Test Track breaks down much more often. Buzz even just had a refurb, but it got worse!

As much as I love that Disney is incredibly successful now, I'm worried about the state of the parks (and before anyone asks, no, I don't own stock in Disney). The parks are quite literally falling apart! If month long refurbishments that break things, new attractions that take five years for a d-ticket at best, and budget cuts all around are the norm then I'm worried! I don't want WDW to go down the drain in terms of quality, it's such a great time.

peter11435

What a petty excuse :rolleyes: There's NO REASON why Disney can't give proper refurbishments where EVERYTHING from the technical to the show aspects of the ride are fixed right the first time. But sure, let's pretend like 'stuff gets done'. Ridiculous!
I'm not making an excuse for them. I agree that these show issues could and should be fixed.

The poster claimed that some years they didn't do anything during these refurbs which is simply not true and that was all I was saying. When a ride goes down for refurb it's not to fix everything that's wrong with it. I wish it was but its not. It's to address a specific list of items that require the attraction to be closed to complete. I'm not saying this or all refurbs are successful, just that there is necessary work being done.

RSoxNo1

Even Dino-Rama actually looks quasi-fun at night. Certainly less grotesque than during daylight hours (its lighting is whimsical).
At night it looks a little like Storybook Circus, but it's still pretty crappy. It just has some kinetics that look marginally better at night. It's still an eyesore on that park.

Bartattack

If anybody thinks Walt Disney World is falling apart... boy, they better don't visit Disneyland Paris. Now there's a park that was REALLY falling apart.(which is a shame, because it's a beautifull park) They are now trying to catch up and fix everything from the past 20 years of neglect. Construction walls everywhere! Haven't visited in 5 years now... and gonna wait untill their 25th anniversary when everything is refurbished. Visited WDW 3 times in the past 5 years instead...and loved every second of it.

peter11435

Don't bother arguing with him, he likes like to defend Disney every chance he gets. I agree with you though, nowadays refurbs aren't done to their full potential.
I don't defend disney every chance I get. I correct misinformation any chance I get. There's a huge difference.

And for the record I agree with you. There is a lot more that could and should be done in most refurbs. There really is no excuse for things not being repaired and painted while attractions are down. But... The notion that attractions are closed and nothing is done is simply not true.

Last edited:

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
I haven't heard anything about this refurb. Apparently the ride has been open for a month. Does anyone know of any details? Ride effects? Lighting enhancements for when (if) AK extends the hours? At least a strobe light for the waterfall would be nice.

cjkeating

I haven't heard anything about this refurb. Apparently the ride has been open for a month. Does anyone know of any details? Ride effects? Lighting enhancements for when (if) AK extends the hours? At least a strobe light for the waterfall would be nice.

I haven't heard of any improvements/fixed effects anywhere. Hopefully something is more apparent when the ride is open at night but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Absimilliard

Like I said in the WDW Awakens thread, they also made resetting breakdowns easier by installing wooden platforms around the Turntable. The idea here is that when the river empties, the boat won't sink to the bottom and won't risk damaging the turntable when it fills up again.

The ride is still in bad shape and desperately need a new fleet of rafts. The ride is supposed to run with over 20 boats, but they are lucky if 15-16 are running and this is what leads to the huge lines. Also, the ride is still amazingly an off the shelf Intamin ride and would need a control upgrade to run better.

Tom Morrow

The ride is supposed to run with over 20 boats, but they are lucky if 15-16 are running and this is what leads to the huge lines.
This is incorrect. If the ride runs with more than 18 rafts, then all that happens is they stack up before the station constantly, additionally causing more stacking before the drop and on the lift. This does not gain the ride any capacity. The reason the ride has huge wait times is it has several design quirks that make it very inefficient. It has the 38"-42" wrist band/additional lap bar requirement that no other Intamin raft ride has, and only some of the rafts have the required lap bar... and even if they do, only one or two lap bars are equipped. It is nearly impossible to efficiently group people into the rafts as they are all the same color and not numbered or anything so you will often see half empty rafts. The station has to stop frequently because people do not buckle their seatbelts fast enough, as well as for pulling rafts aside to the wheelchair dock. Each time the station stops, that's two or three rafts of hourly capacity lost. It also allows the Fastpass line to fill up again. More Fastpass = longer standby.

They tried to combat the frequent station stops by removing the storage bins in the rafts - people were too concerned about storing their items instead of fastening their seatbelt. Not sure if that has made any improvement or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom