Surprise reshuffle of Vice Presidents at the Walt Disney World parks on the horizon?

PhotoDave219

Am I throwing in the towel too fast with the park formerly known as the Studios? I just lost all hopes of anything positive coming to the park now that Phil Holmes is the VP there. How much time before Rock n Roller Coaster refurbs and maintenance get pushed out and the ride turns into a rougher version of DLP Space Mountain?

I think this was a case of giving a longtime good solider a graceful path to an exit while elevating one of their favorites.

That being said, let's see what Phil can do....

RSoxNo1

Am I throwing in the towel too fast with the park formerly known as the Studios? I just lost all hopes of anything positive coming to the park now that Phil Holmes is the VP there. How much time before Rock n Roller Coaster refurbs and maintenance get pushed out and the ride turns into a rougher version of DLP Space Mountain?
Kathy Mangum is at the helm for Imagineering for this park. That and the sizeable budget should be more than enough reason for optimism.

Sage of Time

I feel like the VP position won't matter much for DHS while its in the throes of a massive refurb. WDI will be in charge of most things, won't they?

John

I will stick with my theory that this nothing more then positioning Dan the man...for George's job. Which leads me to the question.....Why hasn't George ever made it any higher in the hierarchy...He has bounced around a bit.....more side wards then upwards.

John

Truth be told when I joined this site five years ago, there was supposed to be spirited change as far as management is concerned. The only appreciable change has been in the stock price......that's why there has been little overall change in management, just rearranging the deck chairs. This will continue for the foreseeable future. The fanbois community might not like it but Wall street is in love.

MerlinTheGoat

Truth be told when I joined this site five years ago, there was supposed to be spirited change as far as management is concerned. The only appreciable change has been in the stock price......that's why there has been little overall change in management, just rearranging the deck chairs. This will continue for the foreseeable future. The fanbois community might not like it but Wall street is in love.
I don't really disagree. Profits going up is one facet i'm sure, but i do think there have been other reasons to halt the spirited change to management. I can only speculate, but i'm personally inclined to believe that it's at least somewhat related to MyMagic+, both due to its massive budget overruns and its failure to meet promises of increased profits. A lot of promises were made about the project, but it has yet to yield positive results. And the budget ballooned from somewhere around $800 million at the start to $2.5+ billion, with (in my personal experience using the Fastpass aspects) no end in sight for the technical glitches it has created. I would imagine MM+ probably had an effect on the management budgets unfortunately.

I've also noticed that they have been extremely quiet about the project since launched. Iger has only grudgingly mentioned it in interviews when someone forced him to answer a question about it, and his answers were always along the lines of "we can't even begin to quantify the long term financial benefits of MM+".

Absimilliard

Kathy Mangum is at the helm for Imagineering for this park. That and the sizeable budget should be more than enough reason for optimism.

Which imagineer will come save Kathy Mangum this time? Remember how it was later revealed that Tom Morris pretty much saved the Carsland and Radiator Springs Racers project.

Based on that, I don't trust Disney in any ways with the Studios makeover given who is now involved in it.

John

I don't really disagree. Profits going up is one facet i'm sure, but i do think there have been other reasons to halt the spirited change to management. I can only speculate, but i'm personally inclined to believe that it's at least somewhat related to MyMagic+, both due to its massive budget overruns and its failure to meet promises of increased profits. A lot of promises were made about the project, but it has yet to yield positive results. And the budget ballooned from somewhere around $800 million at the start to $2.5+ billion, with (in my personal experience using the Fastpass aspects) no end in sight for the technical glitches it has created. I would imagine MM+ probably had an effect on the management budgets unfortunately.

I've also noticed that they have been extremely quiet about the project since launched. Iger has only grudgingly mentioned it in interviews when someone forced him to answer a question about it, and his answers were always along the lines of "we can't even begin to quantify the long term financial benefits of MM+".

Interesting take......which again leads to another question. I agree with your assessment of MM+ and FP+ even its supporters can only say....."it worked for me". Which is fine.....but has it delivered the results Burbank was looking for? Even "it worked for me" isn't a overwhelming voice of support. I have my own opinion ( negative) but it isn't important to my question. Sure its rhetorical but why hasn't WS taken Disney to the carpet so to speak concerning the heavy investment?

TP2000

I will stick with my theory that this nothing more then positioning Dan the man...for George's job. Which leads me to the question.....Why hasn't George ever made it any higher in the hierarchy...He has bounced around a bit.....more side wards then upwards.

Because the next step up is the Parks Chairman spot, and it just got filled by Bob Chapek.

They used to have a President of American/European parks position, most recently held by Meg Crofton. But she retired two months ago and they never filled that position, they just let it disappear and create a flatter reporting structure where the various site Presidents in Anaheim, Orlando and Paris now report directly to Bob Chapek. That's not a bad structural change in my opinion, as I don't think any of us could figure out what Meg Crofton actually did besides be a senior executive that wasn't a white man.

That said, being President of WDW isn't a bad gig for George. And certainly not a bad way to end your career that started as a dishwasher at the Contemporary 45 years ago.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Dan or Phil? Dan looks as clean cut as they come
Character-Meet-and-Greets-at-Epcot_Full_12055.jpg
258px-Alistair_Krei_Big_Hero_6.jpg

Not TECHNICALLY a villain... But I mean.. I'm just saying..

TP2000

Where she wasn't the big creative and people continue to remain rather unaware of Tom Morris.

Never heard of the guy until now. But I Googled him and found an interview he did in Cars Land in June, 2012. His LinkedIn page is typically vague and has no title listed, but apparently he's still on the WDI payroll.

Kathy is a VP and may just be a overgrown project manager. But she was the figurehead for Cars Land and got it done.

Absimilliard

Where she wasn't the big creative and people continue to remain rather unaware of Tom Morris.

For some reasons, WDI or someone there refuse to publicly acknowledge Tom Morris involvement. When the THEA Award (think of the Oscars equivalent for themed attactions) for Carsland was handed out, Kathy Mangum received the award and gave out the presentation at the workshop day. No where in all that did she mention Tom Morris name sadly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom