9/11

DisneyWorld30th

Original Poster
This Sunday is the weekend of 9/11. Has anyone heard if Disney is planning anything for the 10 year anniversary?

Most of us Vinylmation fans will be at the Florida Project.

????

CaptainJackNO

I can't imagine Disney doing anything to commemorate 9/11 for a number of reasons. It was a dark day in our nation's history. Any commemoration would probably require a solemn tone, which is opposite of what most go to Disney for. Other possible reasons I would prefer not to go into. I just don't imagine there would be any commemoration of the event.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I can't imagine Disney doing anything to commemorate 9/11 for a number of reasons. It was a dark day in our nation's history. Any commemoration would probably require a solemn tone, which is opposite of what most go to Disney for. Other possible reasons I would prefer not to go into. I just don't imagine there would be any commemoration of the event.

I agree...I certainly could not imagine Disney trying to Disneyfy such a horrific occasion.

mm52200

I can imagine them maybe doing something a little extra for the Flag Retreat at MK but outside of that I wouldn't imagine them doing too much.

Rosso11

I'm not sure if their doing anything this year but when I was working in the Magic Kingdom on Sept 11, 2002 they definitely did. President Bush recorded a special announcement about Sept 11th specifically recorded for Disney. It was played on the parks loudspeakers that morning. Not sure if this was a onetime event or if they have kept doing this is in the years following.

Pioneer Hall

I can imagine them maybe doing something a little extra for the Flag Retreat at MK but outside of that I wouldn't imagine them doing too much.

This would be my guess if they acknowledge it all. I would think an extended moment of silence would happen, but that would be it.

ob1thx1138

Not sure if this needs to go in another thread, but I would really like to hear stories from people that were in the parks 9-11-01.

DisneyDellsDude

A special announcement at the flag retreat would be nice. I don't think they'd need to do anything park wide. But as for "Disney-fying" American events - I think Disney does a pretty tasteful job with those kind of things. (American Adventure, and now Hall of Presidents are both wonderful tributes to the USA - and don't they both mention 9/11?)

And I'm pretty sure they have some of the best 4th of July shows around!

BadTigger

I don't know if they have anything planned this year. But I was down there 9/11/02 and they did make an announcement in all parks and have a moment of silence. It wouldn't be to far fetch that they do a little something again.

Jakester

If disney does a celebration for something were thousands of innocent lives were lost, then i dont think disney is run by americans.......... (catch my hint)

If they do anything, a moment of silence (or rememberance) for the lives lost in the flag retreat would be nice....

Figment73

We were at Disney for the 4th of July. As we entered Animal Kingdom Cast members were handing out small American flag pins. Maybe something like that. Sept. 11th was such a sad day in American history and not sure if Disney would do anything other than something with the flag retreat as some of the posters have said.

MrMorrowTom

I don't think the original post meant anything by a celebration. I think they were talking about a remembrance of some sort.
It would be nice of them to do something however small, If I'm not mistaken wasn't Sept 11 the last day Disney theme parks closed?

menamechris

Please...they didn't do anything to acknowledge 9/11 when it happened. It doesn't go with the "most magical place" theme they got goin' on... :p

smw

personally i wouldnt want them to do anything at all if i were there. everyone knows what day it is. last thing id want is to have the whole park bummed out.

A moment of silence of great, but many people would pay no attention. They'd look down at there smartphones and Tweet "lol" to their BFF when it was announced. It would still be a classy move by Disney.....:wave:

MITCH 112198

I was there along with my husband and mother-in -law and father in law that day. at the time mgm studios doing the backlot tour when my husbands phone rang and it was his sister yelling about what is happening, Shortly after that the parks were closed and we were to leave and upon leaving was given 1 day free passes to return whenever to this day I still havethem. , and we go every year. the next day the security team was searching bags and the fences were up. What a differance a day makes.

Yodadudeman

Not so sure what they really could do. As others have stated, anything that commemorates 9/11 would have to have a solemn tone to it. People go to Disney to have a light-hearted good time. The two don't coincide.
Plus, Disney is a theme park. That isn't really the place to have a commemoration for 9/11. It would just be white noise among the rides, shows, and throngs of people. A subject like 9/11 deserves more than that...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom