Space Mountain Refurb?

Pirouline

I hear they're getting all new trains with lap bars only...if true that could greatly help the ride.
It's always good to see a solid refurb on a ride...something WDW's Space Mountain will probably never see.

Its gonna have to have some big refurb one day.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Oh really? Hmm...I'm not the biggest fan of those either, but like you said, anything is an improvement.
Restraints only, not seating.

The plus with these restraints is they offer the protection of a traditional horseshoe but with far more upper torso movement and leeway.

Monoblanco13

Too hopeful to get the projectors fixed?

OMG there were projectors on this attraction at one point? Why don't I remember any of this? I have just started going back to WDW in 2014 last time being there before that was in the 90's as a preteen. I honestly didn't think this attraction has changed since then. The only thing I noticed was the interactive queue but nothing else.

Monoblanco13

The structure isn't getting any younger.

The trim brakes were added last year (?) before the largest drop on both Alpha and Omega. The one actually thrilling section of track is now relegated to a shudder, a crawl and a dip. It's almost farcical.

I could have swore that drop was more exciting at one point, I go on SM expecting a lot then coming off a little disappointed now I know why.

Monoblanco13

Was there any reason for the budget cuts, its frustrating to hear about what could of happened and now we have to wait. Hopefully something is done before people get hurt. I wonder if anyone internally within WDW is as opinionated as we are and why our voices aren't being heard. Disney has the money from my understanding.

jprieur

I am now able to select Space for fastpasses any day between APR 20-24th now, showing as available.

Does anyone know if this refurb was cancelled??

The DL version of this ride was done right. Side by side seating with the speakers makes it a more enjoyable ride. I always feel jerked around in WDW and end up with a headache... not as bad as Mission Space

wdwfan4ver

Was there any reason for the budget cuts, its frustrating to hear about what could of happened and now we have to wait. Hopefully something is done before people get hurt. I wonder if anyone internally within WDW is as opinionated as we are and why our voices aren't being heard. Disney has the money from my understanding.
The budgets cuts for Space Mountain was caused by Phil Holmes due to him wanting his year end bonus for being saving the company money.

Disney Park VPs for years get bonus money if they end up with extra money in their budget end of the fiscal year.

Monoblanco13

The budgets cuts for Space Mountain was caused by Phil Holmes due to him wanting his year end bonus for being saving the company money.

Disney Park VPs for years get bonus money if they end up with extra money in their budget end of the fiscal year.

Doesn't corporate then give them less money to spend the following year as they didn't use up their budget? Also do the other parks have different VP's? I never knew there was a VP assigned to MK till yesterday.

ABQ

Doesn't corporate then give them less money to spend the following year as they didn't use up their budget? Also do the other parks have different VP's? I never knew there was a VP assigned to MK till yesterday.
If Wikipedia is to be trusted, but this appears accurate from my memory:
George KalogridisPresident- Walt Disney World Resort
  • Senior Vice President of Operations and Next Generation Experiences, Walt Disney World Resort - Jim MacPhee
    • Vice President, Magic Kingdom - Phil Holmes
    • Vice President, Epcot - Samuel Lau
    • Vice President, Disney's Hollywood Studios - Dan Cockerell
    • Vice President, Disney's Animal Kingdom - Josh D'Amaro

Monoblanco13

If Wikipedia is to be trusted, but this appears accurate from my memory:
George KalogridisPresident- Walt Disney World Resort
  • Senior Vice President of Operations and Next Generation Experiences, Walt Disney World Resort - Jim MacPhee
    • Vice President, Magic Kingdom - Phil Holmes
    • Vice President, Epcot - Samuel Lau
    • Vice President, Disney's Hollywood Studios - Dan Cockerell
    • Vice President, Disney's Animal Kingdom - Josh D'Amaro
Thanks!
So we should blame Josh for the yeti? Any-hoo it seems like this refurb in April is gone as @jprieur said they were able to place fp+ on the requested dates

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks!
So we should blame Josh for the yeti?
Not really. DAK in particular seems to have a revolving door for its upper management.

There again, it's easier to sit tight and not rock the boat knowing you'll be moving elsewhere in a year or so. You'd want to move up not sideways or down depending on what you do. Or don't do.

The Everest debacle lies higher.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom