Prices for the Polynesian DVC Bungalows

Cesar R M

guys, speaking about DVC.. The week after new years is considered "Premiun" or "low" ?
How is the load in the park in these january dates?

Cesar R M

Can't post the link here - but if you google "fort wilderness dvc plans" you'll get a good hit. So the plans are out there, but put on hold until who knows when.

Rumor has it that Wilderness Lodge will have some rooms in the main building converted into DVC soon. Execs and the like have been spotted wandering around with clipboards. We know resale over at VWL runs in the $70s to $80s per point. I can only imagine if this project starts up Disney will be ROFRing all VWL sales to artificially drive the price up .. but they can't go too high as the existing units expire in 2042 unless they offer extensions like they did over at OKW.
please tell me they really forgot about the indian teepees in the waterfront.

DisneyDaver

Because we are here discussing the Disney Company... not just our own personal travel plans.

Yes, I understand we are here to discuss WDW, but that doesn't explain why people seem personally upset by the pricing choices of Disney corporates. It comes off as sounding a bit entitled ... like we all should have a chance to stay on one of these rooms. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting the posts, but the "greedy" Disney line gets old when as a public company Disney is obligated to maximize the profit of its shareholders.

DisneyDaver

pretty sure they would be slashing entertainment, closing room blocks, cutting down entertainment and services before they reduce the hotel prices.

Nope. If these new Poly rooms sit empty, WDW will lower the prices on them.

WDW will slash entertainment and cut down services if WDW thinks people will still fill the parks.

They are two separate issues and WDW knows this.

note2001

please tell me they really forgot about the indian teepees in the waterfront.

I have no clue what they're planning. If they do build anything in addition to conversion within the main lodge I hope they're tastefully done, cabin like, and NOT over the water, not even near the edge of it. The only thing that should be over the water at WL should be boat docks and people on those docks trying to convince their kids that the fish are animatronics :D

WDW will slash entertainment and cut down services if WDW thinks people will still fill the parks.

They are two separate issues and WDW knows this.
DVC prices (direct) have never gone down for as long as I've been watching them. However, They will add "incentives" to encourage sales, for example: free passes (a rare occurrence), or a tiered discount such as $6 off per point if you buy over 160 points; $8 off/pt if you buy over 210... etc. I forget the actual discounts they've used, there is a website someone keeps with all the info on it from over the years. So, they're tiered instant rebates, not price reductions.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
If enough people stop going to WDW, WDW will lower the prices. Otherwise, WDW will continue to increase prices like any other rational business owner.
People are not any more likely to stop visiting WDW because of the cost of a single set of rooms than TWDC is to lower their prices....

flynnibus

Premium Member

Except Disney can't lower the 'price' on these rooms without increasing the 'price' on the other DVC rooms. The point totals are fixed. They can shuffle, but not reduce nor extend. They won't mess with the cash rate either because it's part of the 'see how DVC is saving you money...' pitch. If the demand falls short, they'll simply give people comp upgrades into them to swoon people into how fantastic Disney is.

And BTW... Disney was a public company under Walt too... he just had a different strategy for maximizing returns instead of 'take 'em for all they got...'

DisneyDaver

And BTW... Disney was a public company under Walt too... he just had a different strategy for maximizing returns instead of 'take 'em for all they got...'

The corporate world and shareholder expectations have changed a lot since Walt's time ...

And I don't see WDW as trying to "take me for all I got" ... I see WDW as offering me a variety of products with prices and I can decide which of those I would like to purchase.

For the record, I am disappointed with the quality of WDW's product the past few years. Thus, for my 2014 vacation I spent 4 days at UO and 1 day at WDW where I only went to MK (as opposed to my usual 5 days at WDW and 2 days at UO). When WDW improves its product at Epcot, AK and DHS, I'll spend more time (and money) at WDW.

Tom

Beta Return
I posted some of this in another thread but because people keep arguing it:

All of this "for half the price you could get this and stay in the real bora bora etc. etc..." Is like saying why would you stay in The Venetian or Paris hotels in Vegas when in the REAL Venice and Paris you can stay in an authentic Venetian or Parisian hotel for a cheaper price and have a MUCH better experience!
Well... I'm pretty sure those people in those hotels in Vegas are staying there and paying the prices available to them because... they wanted to go to Vegas. And they simply chose a hotel in Vegas that they liked the look of and they chose to spend their money on.

Just like the people in Disney are choosing to go... to Disney. And to stay in Disney. And are simply choosing a hotel they like the look of theme wise and to their chosen price point.

I can't imagine anyone who has booked to stay at the Poly did so because "Oh hey, why go to Hawaii when for 4 x the price I can stay in a Disney hotel themed to Hawaii!". I'm guessing they were looking to book a holiday... In Disney World. And then chose a hotel they liked the theme of.

Oh and I also have experience with rich people, and guess what, there isn't just one type. I know those who pay for the most expensive things for the sake of it, those who just pay whatever the price happens to be when they happen to go places or buy things, and those who do still look for the value of things and wouldn't dream of spending money like that even though they could afford to. Because... rich people... are people. And people are different and have different values, beliefs and tastes, whatever their income.

Who allowed you in here to spew forth such logic and reason?

You nailed it on all accounts.

First, yes, the people who stay in these accommodations are guests, just like us, who happen to be willing to spend more for a room. And they've chosen Disney as their destination, followed by choosing a room they're most comfortable with, and comfortable spending the money on.

As for "rich people" - you are oh so right about that subject as well. There are "rich" people and there are "wealthy" people. Rich people will be quick to show you all their toys, and houses, and cars and boats, and vacations.....but aren't willing to show you their empty bank accounts and upside down loans (aka professional athletes).

Whereas those who have wealth can show you, while dressed in jeans and a button-up shirt from Kohls, their savings account full of their hard-earned (and saved) money, a tastefully nice home, a few luxuries, and lots of real friends and family.

Then there are those of us who are comfortable, because we pinch every penny and use coupons for every meal, and order in bulk, and don't buy "toys", and pay off our debts strategically.

Group A would have no problem dropping the cash (credit, really) for a Bungalow, but they might not be into WDW vacations.

Group B is made up of Disney fans, and they're considering buying, but they need to run the numbers to see if it's in the budget. They'll probably splurge on a night or two in a Bungalow - to say they did - then head over to another Villa somewhere on property that would suit them better.

Group C....well.....we make use of discounts, and we use our DVC points very wisely. So wisely, that we can take a faux 1%er vacation while spending less money on the vacation than anyone else staying in a room somewhere.

FigmentForver96

So this might have been discussed already, but when adjusted for inflation what would the normal price be on this market? Not what Disney makes it, but what it would be with the current economy and such?

note2001

Availability wise, I suspect the studios will be faster to book up than the bungalows. Which brings me to wonder, since most buyers will be looking simply at reserving the studios wouldn't there be an imbalance of the number of members looking to reserve those rooms to the number of points sold for those units? This is going to cause problems with folk having to walk their reservations in order to get those rooms & Member services will be even busier unless they can put a stop to walking.

(Only way to do it: require the entire reservation to be released back into the system, run the wait list on it, then if available allow the new reservation dates. This more or less messes with the rest of us who don't walk, but need to change one day here or there.)

Last edited:

Rinx

As ridiculous as many of us think the cost is, my guess is these prices won't last long. There will be such a demand for these just 20 bungalows that they will easily be able to raise the prices without having any sit empty.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Based on comparable rooms in Orlando probably $800-1100/night

I just wonder what the Presidential Suite, Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando runs a night. I looked at their web site and it said call for pricing. That sounds like if you have to ask you cannot afford it. I think that this would be a better comparison than other hotels in the Orlando Area. A stand room runs $469.00 a night in August.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I just wonder what the Presidential Suite, Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando runs a night. I looked at their web site and it said call for pricing. That sounds like if you have to ask you cannot afford it. I think that this would be a better comparison than other hotels in the Orlando Area. A stand room runs $469.00 a night in August.

By no means are these comparable to the Presidential Suite at Portofino Bay, Disney's Appointments/Service/Amenities are FAR inferior to PB. The presidential suite comes WITH a Butler.

I used pricing for executive suites at Hilton etc as a comparable.

dreamfinder

Availability wise, I suspect the studios will be faster to book up than the bungalows. Which brings me to wonder, since most buyers will be looking simply at reserving the studios wouldn't there be an imbalance of the number of members looking to reserve those rooms to the number of points sold for those units? This is going to cause problems with folk having to walk their reservations in order to get those rooms & Member services will be even busier unless they can put a stop to walking.

(Only way to do it: require the entire reservation to be released back into the system, run the wait list on it, then if available allow the new reservation dates. This more or less messes with the rest of us who don't walk, but need to change one day here or there.)

It's gonna happen, but I can't say I've ever heard that many people care that much about it to do large scale walking. Most people don't think that way, and I think once all 3 buildings of studios open up, it will balance out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom