Drones may be used in Disney Parks in the future.

The Empress Lilly

Not at all. Fireworks displays are very toxic and cause significant air, water and noise pollution. It's incumbent upon TWDC to reduce or eliminate these hazards and the drone technology may help.
I for one think you make an excellent point.

Why, Disney too thinks you made an excellent point, that is why they have replaced gunpowder for compressed air in their fireworks.

At DAK, where the negative environmental effects of fireworks are more immediately obvious to the guests (the cuddly animal imported from India may not suffer, unlike the wild Florida one), Disney was forced to develop alternative nighttime shows.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/01/070130091024.htm

Anaheim, California, residents have long complained about the pollution and the noise created by Disney's fireworks bombardment and the 90,000 pounds of gunpowder it ignites 239 nights a year. A group of Anaheim homeowners organized in 2001 to protest the launching of Disney's California Adventure claiming Disney and local officials were ignoring the harmful effects of fireworks debris on humans.

Locals complained that children with asthma had breakouts more frequently because of the smoke generated. William Fitzgerald, a representative of the homeowners group, told participants at South Coast Air Quality Management meetings that high concentrations of chlorate were leaking into the ground and polluting underground water. "Six wells have been shut down and most people rely on bottled water," Fitzgerald said.​

Bandini

Sometimes we have to toss one thing to the side in order to enjoy the other and I'm willing to put the environment on the back burner if it means I get to watch fireworks explode.
Well, this post will really have the environmentalists up in arms! But I totally agree with you!

tl77

Primarily the GPS systems on the floats not working correctly but it seems just about ready to go... there are hundreds of pages of discussion over in the RoL thread.
I'm having a hard time understanding why the 1 park that can't have fireworks wouldn't use the fancy new drones, but thanks, and it would be great if this site had a "rumor of the week" report like ever other Disney site, so people with better things to do could skip the "hundreds of pages of discussion" which usually amounts to a lot of cynical b.s. with the occasional fact thrown in

cjkeating

I'm having a hard time understanding why the 1 park that can't have fireworks wouldn't use the fancy new drones, but thanks, and it would be great if this site had a "rumor of the week" report like ever other Disney site, so people with better things to do could skip the "hundreds of pages of discussion" which usually amounts to a lot of cynical b.s. with the occasional fact thrown in

Without seeing the show on paper it does make sense that drones could work well in RoL however the show has been in planning for 3 years, maybe going on for 4 years now so the timeframes for considering drones don't match up. All signs point to drones being used in the next version of Illuminations at Epcot.

tl77

Then feel free to join those other sites. Its not really hard to keep up with the discussions here, you simply want someone to spoon feed you the information.
I just want the information without having to join any sites, that's some times called "journalism" but that's a pretty strong word for the internet age

Phil12

I for one think you make an excellent point.

Why, Disney too thinks you made an excellent point, that is why they have replaced gunpowder for compressed air in their fireworks.

At DAK, where the negative environmental effects of fireworks are more immediately obvious to the guests (the cuddly animal imported from India may not suffer, unlike the wild Florida one), Disney was forced to develop alternative nighttime shows.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/01/070130091024.htm

Anaheim, California, residents have long complained about the pollution and the noise created by Disney's fireworks bombardment and the 90,000 pounds of gunpowder it ignites 239 nights a year. A group of Anaheim homeowners organized in 2001 to protest the launching of Disney's California Adventure claiming Disney and local officials were ignoring the harmful effects of fireworks debris on humans.

Locals complained that children with asthma had breakouts more frequently because of the smoke generated. William Fitzgerald, a representative of the homeowners group, told participants at South Coast Air Quality Management meetings that high concentrations of chlorate were leaking into the ground and polluting underground water. "Six wells have been shut down and most people rely on bottled water," Fitzgerald said.​
Yes indeed the pollution problems from fireworks at Disneyland are a serious concern. In addition all of WDW is located in the Everglades watershed. As you can see from this Army Corps of Engineers map, the water from WDW flows from central Florida through most of south Florida. It doesn't make a lot of sense to pollute the air and water with toxic heavy metals in an environmentally sensitive watershed.
historic-flow-everglades_0.jpg

jt04

Yes indeed the pollution problems from fireworks at Disneyland are a serious concern. In addition all of WDW is located in the Everglades watershed. As you can see from this Army Corps of Engineers map, the water from WDW flows from central Florida through most of south Florida. It doesn't make a lot of sense to pollute the air and water with toxic heavy metals in an environmentally sensitive watershed.
historic-flow-everglades_0.jpg

Worse troll bait ever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom